Quantcast
COVID-19 Science Thread - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Science Thread

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Moar piktures and less werds. Subtle SS reference on the anti-masking side?

Name:  mm6947e2_KSMaskMandateCOVID19_IMAGE_20Nov20_1200x675-medium.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  34.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Moar piktures and less werds. Subtle SS reference on the anti-masking side?

Name:  mm6947e2_KSMaskMandateCOVID19_IMAGE_20Nov20_1200x675-medium.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  34.7 KB
    The fun part was that Calgary had $1 fine ($15 today) for 1918 pandemic for not wearing mask and was actively enforced.

And since there was no vaccine, deaths goes well into the roaring 20s.

We had it so much better and people still lost their shit over minor things.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

People lose their minds these days because they have social media to connect with other people losing their minds, and it snowballs.

My Ride
    Edge

I've seen a bit more posting on FB about the supposedly high false positives of the antigen rapid tests. It seems as though people are thinking since there so many false positives, there aren't nearly as many cases as is commonly thought, hence needless fearmongering that results in lockdowns.

https://greatgameindia.com/coca-cola-covid-19-positive/

Since deaths are really the only metric we can have some certainty about, am I wrong in thinking that if the number of cases is actually fewer, then that tells us that novel coronavirus isn't as contagious as thought but it is more deadly? If that is the case, shouldn't people be more cautious/scared than they are and want the lockdowns to continue?

A friend on FB, who posted the video above a couple of days ago, has let lose against me and in so doing, stated that COVID is no worse than the flu. Of course, it is easy enough to show otherwise, but I would like to point out the irony, if there is any.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    I've seen a bit more posting on FB about the supposedly high false positives of the antigen rapid tests. It seems as though people are thinking since there so many false positives, there aren't nearly as many cases as is commonly thought, hence needless fearmongering that results in lockdowns.

https://greatgameindia.com/coca-cola-covid-19-positive/

Since deaths are really the only metric we can have some certainty about, am I wrong in thinking that if the number of cases is actually fewer, then that tells us that novel coronavirus isn't as contagious as thought but it is more deadly? If that is the case, shouldn't people be more cautious/scared than they are and want the lockdowns to continue?

A friend on FB, who posted the video above a couple of days ago, has let lose against me and in so doing, stated that COVID is no worse than the flu. Of course, it is easy enough to show otherwise, but I would like to point out the irony, if there is any.
    No!!!
    Because no one is relying on the rapid tests for anything. It's a mystery where the ones ordered actually are and a bigger mystery why we are too stupid to have ordered 40 million of them. I wish we had the problem of everyone getting those tests and more people being sent home than needed. What a utopia that would be!
    That would be the best problem of 2020 to have.

stated that COVID is no worse than the flu. Of course, it is easy enough to show otherwise, but I would like to point out the irony, if there is any.
    It's actually not as easy as it seems you think it is. There are numerous similarities. And if you want to break it down, flu is actually more deadly to age groups below 60, whereas Covid is only statistically detrimental to people over 60. So it's subjective, but there is certainly nothing resembling a silver bullet that quantifies covid being worse, which makes it easily debatable from both sides.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@duaner , stop arguing on Facebook. You aren't going to accomplish anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    It's actually not as easy as it seems you think it is. There are numerous similarities. And if you want to break it down, flu is actually more deadly to age groups below 60, whereas Covid is only statistically detrimental to people over 60. So it's subjective, but there is certainly nothing resembling a silver bullet that quantifies covid being worse, which makes it easily debatable from both sides.
    Lol

My Ride
    Edge

Isn't it something like 80% of the elderly deaths are those in nursing homes? What do you think the level of care is in those homes as compared to a hospital where all the age groups below 60 go for their care?

'It wasn’t long before the entire family, including Nora, were exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms.

“She had a fever,” said Ceyda. “Go to the emergency.”

It got worse. At one point, Nora stopped breathing altogether, said her dad Ben.

“They put a breathing tube in,” he said. “That was tough to watch, such a small baby getting that procedure, putting a tube in and we weren’t sure that we were going to bring her home.”'

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/newborn-c...born-1.5233059

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    @duaner , stop arguing on Facebook. You aren't going to accomplish anything.
    Yes, there is that. Lol It was he who jumped on a meme I shared, by a black guy, that said, "How privileged is your life where wearing a mask is the most oppressed you've felt?" Maybe my friend thinks I've gone all woke, despite telling me several times to wake up because the restrictions are tyranny and thoughts of suicide are up in TO (yet, it would seem, not directly linked to the restrictions). Maybe he thinks I woke up on the wrong side. ha ha

My Ride
    Bicycle

TLDW
    Vitamin D works on reducing all respiratory infection, not just COVID.

Sample:
    1200IU/day in Japanese kids reduces influenzas infection rate from 18% to 10%.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-16-2020 at 12:41 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I pulled it from Michael Mina's twitter. You can read his comments here:

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/...61439600680969
    Updates on Slovakia, please.

My glances can only find dumb daily numbers. But... Those recent numbers are a long way from low. Is Slovakia back in the shitter within a month??!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Updates on Slovakia, please.

My glances can only find dumb daily numbers. But... Those recent numbers are a long way from low. Is Slovakia back in the shitter within a month??!
    Testing isn't once and done, it's an ongoing effort especially when people are going about doing their things freely.

If anything, it would be interesting to see their curve and compare to ours when we reopen in Jan 11th.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-16-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Isn't it something like 80% of the elderly deaths are those in nursing homes? What do you think the level of care is in those homes as compared to a hospital where all the age groups below 60 go for their care?

'It wasn’t long before the entire family, including Nora, were exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms.

“She had a fever,” said Ceyda. “Go to the emergency.”

It got worse. At one point, Nora stopped breathing altogether, said her dad Ben.

“They put a breathing tube in,” he said. “That was tough to watch, such a small baby getting that procedure, putting a tube in and we weren’t sure that we were going to bring her home.”'

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/newborn-c...born-1.5233059
    Let me get this straight. You think that when people at nursing homes get sick, they don't get transferred to a hospital? And you also think that the massive anomaly in the death statistics related to age is all due to quality of care?

Wow!

My Ride
    Edge

Let me get this straight. You think that when people at nursing homes get sick, they don't get transferred to a hospital? And you also think that the massive anomaly in the death statistics related to age is all due to quality of care?

Wow!
    I don't know these things, which is why I ask. I blame journalists for a lack of precision in their writing:

"McNeily is one of more than two dozen residents to have died from the virus while at the home."

"In Ontario, the province saw 71 deaths within care homes over the course of a single week in early November."

But also statements that only speak of deaths being traced to long-term care homes:

"In B.C., a home in Abbotsford recorded five resident deaths in a single day this week."

"According to Loreto, a whopping 77 per cent of COVID-19 deaths can be traced to long-term care and senior homes."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...pots-1.5209719

When there are a dozen or more residents sick at one time in a single home, do they all get sent to the hospital?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I haven't read this whole thread so my apologies if this is a repost, but here is the FDA Briefing Doc on Pfizer's vaccine: https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/dow...j6bzJdd_8RAb08

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Testing isn't once and done, it's an ongoing effort especially when people are going about doing their things freely.

If anything, it would be interesting to see their curve and compare to ours when we reopen in Jan 11th.
    Well... It looked like it was virtually a "one & done" scenario based on the radical effect it had a month ago.
    Recall the concept was to test virtually everyone within a few days. Properly quarantine those infected and properly isolate those exposed. The rest of the people can get their asses to work and go spend money.
    While I didn't expect that to send the virus to zero, I would have thought it would clobber its progress back by 2-3 months, at a minimum.
    I'd like to know how they are doing, today and compare them to their many neighbours.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 12-17-2020 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    While I didn't expect that to send the virus to zero, I would have thought it would clobber its progress back by 2-3 months, at a minimum.
    If like to know how they are doing, today and compare them to their many neighbours.
    It's a country with 5 bordering countries with various different rules. I doubt their borders are closed due to economic ties.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-17-2020 at 09:30 AM.

My Ride
    ute

My Ride
    Edge

I know there has been some talk of vitamin D and its usefulness against COVID, so if this article has been posted already, I apologize:

"We are consequently reliant on data which are imperfect in isolation, but which in their totality, present compelling evidence for a protective effect of vitamin D against Covid-19, and which strongly support urgent intervention in this regard."

https://link.springer.com/article/10...45-020-02427-9

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast