Quantcast
COVID-19 Science Thread - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Science Thread

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Buster, yes its a study of influenza. Are you suggesting that they are so radically different that masks work for one but not for the other when masks function strictly on the size of the particle?
    I'm suggesting that you posted a review for influenza.

You have to be careful on wording. You said "masks don't work." What you should have said is: "some studies done on influenza have not shown that masks limit transmission - although the studies are not conclusive. It is unknown at this time how if influenza transmission is similar enough to COVID transmission to establish if these studies can be used as comparisons." Or something similar.

I think it's good that you are in this thread as it will help you learn and understand the process of science and how to think about what the data tells you and what it does not tell you - and how to tell which is which. I encourage you to follow along and ask questions and post things that you think are relevant. This is the only way to learn and get better at these things.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I needed to brush up on my biology.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Pretty sure this was the thread everyone was rambling about Vitamin D for 2 pages. Rhonda Patrick was on Joe Rogan podcast again a few months ago. This is an excerpt where she goes on a rant about vitamin D with a ton of good information. I hope I didn't miss someone posting this already and that's why you were all talking about D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBSfIckPV44
    Last edited by Misterman; 07-26-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

You have to be careful on wording. You said "masks don't work." What you should have said is: "some studies done on influenza have not shown that masks limit transmission - although the studies are not conclusive. It is unknown at this time how if influenza transmission is similar enough to COVID transmission to establish if these studies can be used as comparisons." Or something similar.
    I am certainly questioning the fact that your argument sounds strangely like those of the religious. "You just have to believe, the science is inconclusive, we may never know".

It also is telling that you can not produce any supporting documentation prior to 2020 that shows resoundingly in the affirmative that masks do something beyond the trivial.

As I mentioned, a strange lack of science in the science thread. A lot of almost religious ferocity and believing though.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    I am certainly questioning the fact that your argument sounds strangely like those of the religious. "You just have to believe, the science is inconclusive, we may never know".

It also is telling that you can not produce any supporting documentation prior to 2020 that shows resoundingly in the affirmative that masks do something beyond the trivial.

As I mentioned, a strange lack of science in the science thread. A lot of almost religious ferocity and believing though.
    Science is about the act of turning uncertainty into certainty over time. It's about the process. Every hypothesis requires that further data is required to take the next step and figure out the next hypothesis. If you are looking for certainties, science is hardly the place to look. As I said, I'm happy that you are posting here and learning - I wish more people would do that and if I can help you along that process, then I will. I don't think you will find much religious fervor, although people do tend to have strong opinions about which direction they think the data will point- but that's not faith per se, that's just differences of opinion.

My Ride
    ute

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm down with antigen testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

This is a really interesting TWiV.

My Ride
    ute

Medcram Q+A with Michael Mina

My Ride
    NC1

can you sum it up for us homie. we need a Beyond Corona task force with daily legit updates.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    can you sum it up for us homie. we need a Beyond Corona task force with daily legit updates.
    Stop the current PCR lab tests which has a huge lag and cost and too slow in quarantining people.

Get the $1 test approved so in 15mins anyone tested positive can be told to quarantine and let them back into the society when the same $1 test clears them.

Once FDA/Health Canada approves this, then this tool can be integrated into health policy where employer can administrate frequent testing of employees and slow the spread. And this will be a great tool for school reopening as well.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-06-2020 at 08:49 AM.

My Ride
    ute

^ What he said.

If you can tell people that they are infected, and then change their behaviour, then you can drive the R0 of the infection way below 1 almost instantly. These $1 test strips probably wouldn't be as good as a vaccine, but it would have a similar impact.

Edit: I think we can start manufacturing millions of them per day basically starting next week. But there is no regulator with the job of approving tests that are intended for surveillance (rather than diagnosis).

My Ride
    ute

Medcram has been doing a great series of short YT videos with Michael Mina.

- - - Updated - - -

My Ride
    Bicycle

Cheap self testing is nice but I guess it's false hope since people are not quarantining on positive test....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/us/mi...rnd/index.html

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Cheap self testing is nice but I guess it's false hope since people are not quarantining on positive test....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/us/mi...rnd/index.html
    People said the same thing about masks...and it's now turned so that if you aren't wearing a mask you look like an idiot. Social pressure is pretty strong.

You don't need to eliminate the idiots when it comes to vaccines or self-testing. You just need enough people. Mina discusses it right in one of those videos.

My Ride
    ute

People said the same thing about masks...and it's now turned so that if you aren't wearing a mask you look like an idiot. Social pressure is pretty strong.
    I was in a store the other day, and as we were waiting in line somebody walks in, sees the half a dozen or so people in the store with masks on, rolls his eyes and pulls his mask from his pocket and puts it on.

This may come as a shock to you, and brace yourself for this; there is more to Alberta than Calgary

Most people outside of mandatory mask cities don't wear them. Even then, its typically only big box stores and coporations that are seriously enforcing the rules in Calgary and Edmonton.

There is a large amount of people that think you are an idiot for wearing a mask with little to no evidence it does anything and even possibly makes it worse.

It is quite telling that another month has gone by, and all talk of masks is gone because they are not even able to remotely generate data in favour of masks. And you still haven't provided a lick of evidence in the supportive of the belief. I guess if the gov told you to shove your thumb up your ass because it prevents transmission, you would because "you just don't know it could work".
    Last edited by zechs; 09-13-2020 at 10:43 AM.

My Ride
    ute

I'm fine with those people thinking I'm am idiot.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I'm fine with those people thinking I'm am idiot.
    You yous am certainly not.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast