Quantcast
Will you take the COVID vaccine? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Will you take the COVID vaccine?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, as soon as possible

65 46.76%
  • Yes, but will give it about 6 months to let the early adopters flush out issues

47 33.81%
  • No, not anti-vaxx but just don't want this one for whatever reason

22 15.83%
  • Hell no, Bill Gates ain't putting no microchip in my body! (anti-vaxxers choose this)

5 3.60%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you take the COVID vaccine?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No different than flu vaccines, lots of different strains each year and only thing humanity can do is play catch up and try to be on top of it.
    The unknowns related to the covid vaccines are less about the genotype of the virus (ie mutations), than it is about unknowns related to our immune response. So covid vaccine challenges (if they exist) are different than the flu vaccine challenges.

Will not be the first no, even if it was free. Rushed vaccine is not something I would take just for the idea its not natural, and probably will have side effects. Will wait until some other large group takes it, and see if they grow an extra head.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Not necessarily. There are multiple different kinds of vaccines nowadays. One kind uses live virus' but in controlled (small) doses so that your body can fight it and create anti-bodies but its such a small dose you don't get sick. Others use de-activated virus' (which is what you mentioned) where your body still kills the virus but the virus can't replicate anyways. However there are also vaccines that don't contain the virus at all, instead they inject proteins that trigger similar responses for your body to build antibodies, these can be much safer because you can inject a lot more of the protein without having to worry about actually infecting the host. You have have herd the term 'spike protein' which is what this targets. This could lead to stronger antibodies than actually catching covid, this is kind is what is used for Hep B / HPV vaccines currently. Then there's also toxin based vaccines that inject a toxin that is similar to the virus that your body fights to build antibodies against it.

TL;DR: There's other kinds of vaccine technologies that can help develop stronger antibodies than even catching covid.
    A couple of small pedantic points: a "live" vaccine isn't controlled by dosage, but rather by attenuation of the virus itself. Minor point.

One other type: mRNA vaccines (like the Moderna one), only inject genetic code for the antigen - in this case a spike protein. Your body is then tricked into producing the antigen on its own. Very cool. You're a GMO.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    A couple of small pedantic points: a "live" vaccine isn't controlled by dosage, but rather by attenuation of the virus itself. Minor point.

One other type: mRNA vaccines (like the Moderna one), only inject genetic code for the antigen - in this case a spike protein. Your body is then tricked into producing the antigen on its own. Very cool. You're a GMO.
    Ahh, my bad. I haven't really read too much about the live/deactivated ones so was off top of my head. The mRNA ones are quite fascinating and if its shown that most of them are effective it could speed up future vaccine developments too. Realistically looking at SARS, MERS, Swine Flu and now COVID it's like 5 years between each disease though some are bigger than others. I wonder what'll change in the future for the next big disease. If things will be more streamlined and people will fight it early on or people will just become numb and not care.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

You're being forced to self quarantine because they're also trying to limit the spread of colds/flu so less people have similar symptoms and thus need to get tested. It's not rocket science, plus with a few days to symptoms then a few days to get tested and a few days to get the results back, your quarantine is likely done by end of next week anyways. Whats one more week? It's not like we're talking a long time.
    I don't have symptoms. I'm being forced to self quarantine for 14 days because of travel to a place that has no idea how to mitigate the spread of the disease and is applying inconsistent, random rules to Canadians based on what province they came from in an unconstitutional class system. They're scared of CoVid, I get it. I showed up at the border with a negative test in hand and now I've got a second one confirming I don't have the thing they're scared of.
    I have science, they have "Not good enough because this paper says 14 days".

It's these same people who will dictate who should/shall be vaccinated and they're too fucking stupid to stop being scared of the thing that isn't there.

I’m not an anti-vaxxer and all my vaccines are up to date. With that said, I feel this area of medical research has become very politicized and there will be extreme pressure to get a vaccine to market ( political and shareholder perspective), and thus I feel the long-term health effects and side effects will not be as well researched as prior vaccines. Also, I’m probably in one of the lowest risk groups and all my family and acquaintances are very healthy. The answer would obviously change if that was not the case. Finally, vaccines are generally mixed in their efficacy. I got MMR, a year later ended up getting mumps. I’ve had flu shots and had the flu a few months later. At least that’s been my anecdotal experience.

So looking at the whole picture, probably not anytime soon.

My Ride
    ute

There will be plenty of safety data available by the time you actually will have the opportunity to get the vaccine.

Also... Why is it that every anti vaxxer I know also claims to not be an anti vaxxer

But my point is even if you have the antigen, if what people are saying is fact, it apparently seems to not matter and you can get sick again anyways, so what would make the vaccine "better" in that regard. I dunno...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I don't have symptoms. I'm being forced to self quarantine for 14 days because of travel to a place that has no idea how to mitigate the spread of the disease and is applying inconsistent, random rules to Canadians based on what province they came from in an unconstitutional class system. They're scared of CoVid, I get it. I showed up at the border with a negative test in hand and now I've got a second one confirming I don't have the thing they're scared of.
    I have science, they have "Not good enough because this paper says 14 days".

It's these same people who will dictate who should/shall be vaccinated and they're too fucking stupid to stop being scared of the thing that isn't there.
    It's still important to quarantine though. You could've been on the plane with someone infected and caught it after your negative test. Even the second test could be prior to enough of the virus building to test positive.

I understand its a bit much but at the same time it's easier to just have blanket rules because I guarantee some people will treat it like speeding and if they say 14 then they'll only do 10 days and say close enough. If you say 7 day quarantine then some people will only do 3 or 4 kind of thing.

Sucks but its a one time think at least.

There will be plenty of safety data available by the time you actually will have the opportunity to get the vaccine.

Also... Why is it that every anti vaxxer I know also claims to not be an anti vaxxer
    "I'm not a anti-vaxxer but I don't get the vaccines because who knows if it's safe" - Every anti-vaxxer

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    But my point is even if you have the antigen, if what people are saying is fact, it apparently seems to not matter and you can get sick again anyways, so what would make the vaccine "better" in that regard. I dunno...
    Well expectation has been set pretty low. They have been saying 50% effectiveness is still a huge win.

Chinese are already shooting their military without stage 3 testings. We will soon know if Chinese starts to have zombie army.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    We will soon know if Chinese starts to have zombie army.
    How's that different now?

BOOM ROASTED.

My Ride
    *The First*

What a virus does to your body is one thing, but is not really relevant from a vaccination perspective. The virus' impact on our health is quite complicated, but the virus itself isn't particularly complicated. Eliminating it is not. A vaccine is a fundamentally different thing than the treatment of symptoms or even anti-viral medications.

In other words the benefit of the vaccine does not require any basic understanding of what exactly the virus does.
    I wholeheartedly agree. My issue is concern that there isn't enough Science being applied to anything pertaining to CoVid. Not the understanding of the virus, not the mitigation of its spread, not even if it's droplet or airborne and thus, not likely in its vaccine.
    Like most of what @dimi said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    ..., I feel this area of medical research has become very politicized and there will be extreme pressure to get a vaccine to market ( political and shareholder perspective), and thus I feel the long-term health effects and side effects will not be as well researched as prior vaccines....
    Mostly this^

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Legit question... If they say you can get sick again even after naturally catching the virus and developing the antibodies, how if the hell can they honestly develop a vaccine? It is just dead virus after all and if the real deal ain't gonna protect you long term, how is the artificially created one going to do it?
    Keep in mind that antibody checks are mainly a way to detect if someone has had the disease recently. Having antibodies actively in your system does mean that your body can generally be considered immune (as the antibodies are always actively on the hunt for Covid), but even if all the antibodies went away that doesn't mean your body is just as susceptible as if it had never had the virus at all. As long as your antigen-specific Memory T-cells are intact, your body can still recognize Covid and immediately produce the needed antibodies. As far as I've heard, reports of re-infection have mostly been attributed to initial false positives, and even with reduced antibody counts the memory T cells don't seem to disappear in short order. So, if the vaccine causes your body to create the right T cells for Covid, it should work as well as any other vaccine.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Based on what science shows I've watched on the virus, the virus isn't so much the issue but more the body going into overdrive and throwing a house at it vs a kitchen sink, creating a vaccine right now is difficult to ensure it doesn't enact the same type of response
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Even the anti vaxxers know it’s social kryptonite with the majority of the population.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

People who get the flu shot will get it, the anti-vaxers won't as usual. I personally think it will be a very predictable situation mirroring the flu shot.

What I REALLY wish though is if other Countries wouldn't let you in unless you could show proof of both the flu and COVID (when available) vaccination, unless you had a medical reason to be exempt.

So I've gotten every vaccine, every top up, and get flu shots, and yet I'm an anti-vaxxer. Please enlighten me as to how to become a vaxxer.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    So I've gotten every vaccine, every top up, and get flu shots, and yet I'm an anti-vaxxer. Please enlighten me as to how to become a vaxxer.
    An anti-vaxxer won't get those, at all
    Sig nuked by mod.

Yes, but after a few months.

My Ride
    Silverado

I already get the flu shot every year. Not sure why I wouldn't get this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast