Quantcast
Shaw vs Telus - July 2020 - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw vs Telus - July 2020

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like it is Fibre+ plans only, so the 600 is the older fiber + 600 that turned into 750. If so booo but I will live without the upload for the plan I currently have.
    Yeah, I saw the update, bummer. I may see how much it is to upgrade my current 600 to 750/100 as I can really use the bump in upload for working from home.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You would need a pretty unique wfh situation to make 100mbps upload helpful haha
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Git operations at 30mbps is horrible. The symmetric 100 at work is way better.

Might have to move to Shaw for this.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You would need a pretty unique wfh situation to make 100mbps upload helpful haha
    Don't really NEED 100 but 20 can be pretty painful at times sending large files.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Does Telus have a map of which neighbourhoods have fiber now? Starting the house search and its a pain typing individual addresses in to see if fiber is an option. It's not a deal breaker but it is a factor to consider.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They haven’t published a map in years. Probably trying to keep it out of competitors knowledge.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Does Telus have a map of which neighbourhoods have fiber now? Starting the house search and its a pain typing individual addresses in to see if fiber is an option. It's not a deal breaker but it is a factor to consider.
    Not for Calgary.

You could pick any address in the neighborhood in question though and check (rather than the exact house you're looking at), not sure if that's any easier though.

Very generally speaking, inner city and newer neighborhoods seem to have it. Older suburbs usually don't.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Not for Calgary.

You could pick any address in the neighborhood in question though and check (rather than the exact house you're looking at), not sure if that's any easier though.

Very generally speaking, inner city and newer neighborhoods seem to have it. Older suburbs usually don't.
    Is it typically a all or nothing for neighbhourhoods? Or do they only do the nodes and add it as people sign up? (Though I guess that would still show as available?

Good to know though, only so many neighbourhoods to look at so thats not hard to check.

Is it typically a all or nothing for neighbhourhoods? Or do they only do the nodes and add it as people sign up? (Though I guess that would still show as available?

Good to know though, only so many neighbourhoods to look at so thats not hard to check.
    To my knowledge yes, and that was the case with my neighborhood. If you're driving around in the neighborhoods looking at houses, look up at the power lines in the alleyways - if you can see a bunch of little orange tabs every 50ft or so (not sure of the exact interval), those are the fiber leads. That would only apply to overhead applications but that is how they often do it if it was added after the fact.

I know Auburn Bay is new enough to have it despite being absurdly far away from everything. Woodbine / Woodlands area does not have it (older SW suburb). Killarney area has it. West Hillhurst area has it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Some dude on Nextdoor claims to be a construction manager for Telus, and just moved here and lost his fiber, so he looked into it, and says Hawkwood should see it within 2 years.
    *yawn*
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Some dude on Nextdoor claims to be a construction manager for Telus, and just moved here and lost his fiber, so he looked into it, and says Hawkwood should see it within 2 years.
    *yawn*
    Wouldn’t even matter by then. It almost doesn’t matter now with Shaws latest upgrade.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah it's all or nothing. I'm in Coach Hill, and they've been hydrovac-ing and directional drilling for fiber install for at least a month now. It's an immense amount of work actually. Hydrovac one hole per property, or every 5m near a utility (iirc). Use a "little" directional driller to connect all the holes, then pull conduit through the whole neighborhood.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Wouldn’t even matter by then. It almost doesn’t matter now with Shaws latest upgrade.
    That was pretty much my response. I'm going to call shaw and see if I can get any kind of deal. I've been suffering with some terrible lag spikes lately, especially in discord, for no reason. It's bad in the evenings from 6-9pm. Drops all outgoing packets for no reason. I even reset my Unifi setup to defaults and set everything up from scratch (and still dealing with mDNS issues from that, thanks Unifi).
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree the new Shaw upload upgrade makes it a matter of dollars not specs anymore. What a time to be alive.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

That was pretty much my response. I'm going to call shaw and see if I can get any kind of deal. I've been suffering with some terrible lag spikes lately, especially in discord, for no reason. It's bad in the evenings from 6-9pm. Drops all outgoing packets for no reason. I even reset my Unifi setup to defaults and set everything up from scratch (and still dealing with mDNS issues from that, thanks Unifi).
    Sounds somewhat similar to the problems I used to have with the Hitron modem which were actually part of the Puma6 bug. If you have the Arris XB6 then it has the Puma7 chipset which still didn't fix the hole. The Technicolor XB6 uses a Broadcom chipset which doesn't have that problem.

Either that or it's just a saturated node seeing as you're having issues at peak times.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Based on how old your house is, I would also get them to check signal noise. Could be possible your cable line to your house is too old and corroded. Happened at my parents place at about 20 years of age. The moment we got a temp line run from the box into our house it fixed all of our issues. It was more noticeable because we also had cable tv and my parents had issues all the time with that not working correctly.

The hard part now much be finding a tech that actually cares enough to track the noise over time. We had a really good tech when we went though these issues and he kept an eye on it over 2 days or so.
    Last edited by BigDL; 10-14-2020 at 08:59 AM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    Based on how old your house is, I would also get them to check signal noise. Could be possible your cable line to your house is too old and corroded. Happened at my parents place at about 20 years of age. The moment we got a temp line run from the box into our house it fixed all of our issues. It was more noticeable because we also had cable tv and my parents had issues all the time with that not working correctly.

The hard part now much be finding a tech that actually cares enough to track the noise over time. We had a really good tech when we went though these issues and he kept an eye on it over 2 days or so.
    "Signal levels are very strong".
    They even had me unplug everything to "dissipate static electricity in the line", "Just in case"
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Agree the new Shaw upload upgrade makes it a matter of dollars not specs anymore. What a time to be alive.
    ugh... about 40$ increase for me to move from Internet 300 to Fibre+ 300 just so that I can get 100mbps upload speed from 15mbps.
    hoping to find a shaw rep that could get me a good deal

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not worth $40 a month since your whole tv and internet bill should be close to $100 anyway.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Not worth $40 a month since your whole tv and internet bill should be close to $100 anyway.
    I'm on a contract for 12 more months for 110$ now for internet and tv, 100mbps would just be so convenient at times especially for remote access and streaming but yeah not worth the extra 40$ right now.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast