Quantcast
Shaw vs Telus - July 2020 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw vs Telus - July 2020

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The real expereince difference between 300, 600 and Gig is virtually nothing for most households. Bench Racing better be worth the extra $/mo if you are paying more.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The real expereince difference between 300, 600 and Gig is virtually nothing for most households. Bench Racing better be worth the extra $/mo if you are paying more.
    95% of the time I agree with you but games nowadays have so many giant fucking updates I've been using the higher speeds a lot more. (Going from 100 to 300 I'm at now, would do gigabit but cost wise its a big jump as I'm on a great deal). Nothing sucks worse than booting up a old game and then sitting 30 minutes for it to load a 20gb update.

Totally depends what you do. The last game I downloaded was 200 GB and regular updates can be in the 50-100GB range.

Also, if you do any uploading (such as photos or videos to the cloud or a backup service like Blackblaze) 20 Mbps upload (Shaw) vs 1000 Mbps upload is a world of difference.

For those who still download movies, they can be pushing 100GB as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-21-2020 at 02:07 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Name:  8EA9ADE9-688C-4B7E-8DF1-3CAF656578E2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  21.8 KB

I tried my absolutely hardest to saturate my 300 connection last night. Like 200GB of Xbox game updates and downloads over a long period while doing a bit of 4K streaming on another tv and updates on my computer. 3 nest cams streaming to cloud. General usage.

Shits hard unless you exclusively pirate and torrent shit at all hours of the day.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Name:  8EA9ADE9-688C-4B7E-8DF1-3CAF656578E2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  21.8 KB

I tried my absolutely hardest to saturate my 300 connection last night. Like 200GB of Xbox game updates and downloads over a long period while doing a bit of 4K streaming on another tv and updates on my computer. 3 nest cams streaming to cloud. General usage.
    If you couldn't even max out 300, either something in your home network or the source your were downloading from was the weak link. It's really, really, easy to hit 300Mbps with a download even from Steam or an Nvidia driver.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t think you could describe any aspect of my network as anything but overkill lol

I’ll hit 330 on Speedtests both directions all day long ( and the periodic speedtests I run off my UDM document that fact) from every corner of my setup wired and wireless.

Bumping up to gigabit would personally buy me nothing.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you couldn't even max out 300, either something in your home network or the source your were downloading from was the weak link. It's really, really, easy to hit 300Mbps with a download even from Steam or an Nvidia driver.
    Xbox can only push downloads so fast, it's got a kind of shitty harddrive plus its just slow to update in general. I usually only hit ~20MB/s on my xbox whereas on my PC origin will push 30-40MB/s no problem. Same with newsgroups as well, they'll max out things.

The one benefit is my xbox can be updating and it doesn't typically affect any of our streaming devices whereas before sometimes they'd dip down in quality if things got saturated.

I don’t think you could describe any aspect of my network as anything but overkill lol

I’ll hit 330 on Speedtests both directions all day long ( and the periodic speedtests I run off my UDM document that fact) from every corner of my setup wired and wireless.

Bumping up to gigabit would personally buy me nothing.
    OK so the Xbox store or it's hardware is massively throttled then by the sounds of it. If you don't have any access to sources that can give you over 300Mbps download, and your in-home bandwitdh (netflix, etc.) doesn't exceed 300 Mbps on an aggregate basis, then there would be no real benefit from faster speeds. Nearly everything I download can max or almost max my gigabit though so it sounds more like the Xbox store is just weirdly slow or the HDD can't keep up, but even a crappy 5400 RPM drive can usually write at around 1Gbps

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Xbox can only push downloads so fast, it's got a kind of shitty harddrive plus its just slow to update in general. I usually only hit ~20MB/s on my xbox whereas on my PC origin will push 30-40MB/s no problem. Same with newsgroups as well, they'll max out things.
    I guess this is my point, for the shit I need to download the extra speed is useless as I can rarely saturate for long anyway.

Could I artificially max out my network running a 2 hour speed test? Sure but I don’t see what benefit that buys me.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so the Xbox store or it's hardware is massively throttled then by the sounds of it. If you don't have any access to sources that can give you over 300Mbps download, and your in-home bandwitdh (netflix, etc.) doesn't exceed 300 Mbps on an aggregate basis, then there would be no real benefit from faster speeds. Nearly everything I download can max or almost max my gigabit though so it sounds more like the Xbox store is just weirdly slow.
    Yea it’s super bad, last night was the best I have ever seen it with peak at 200 for a couple minutes before sliding back down ( I think it gets you 2-300 burst then throttles with time). Usually it’s hard to get north of 150 out of Xbox store for any period of time.

Thank god it does most of my updating at 3AM lol.

It actually used to be worse and hard to get over 50.

fact.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Another update.. called the 1-888-472-2222 and all they could offer was a $100 bill credit.., but suggested calling the 481-1081 number mentioned above. Ugh.

And called the other number.. same deal. Offered the same I am currently paying with a $100 credit on a 2yr deal. Now going to talk to the manager and call me back.
    Last edited by R-Audi; 07-21-2020 at 02:29 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Xbox and PS stores have a single connection speed cap of 300-400mbps. Most sites have such a limit for whatever reason. Only site that consistently allows me to single download full speed in my experience was MSDN and windows/macOS updates.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Xbox and PS stores have a single connection speed cap of 300-400mbps. Most sites have such a limit for whatever reason. Only site that consistently allows me to single download full speed in my experience was MSDN and windows/macOS updates.
    Hopefully that changes with next-gen consoles. The size of games these days is getting insane, and I can't imagine things like Unreal Engine 5 will be light on space haha.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Hopefully that changes with next-gen consoles. The size of games these days is getting insane, and I can't imagine things like Unreal Engine 5 will be light on space haha.
    Games? Fucking updates are out of hand haha. COD was something like 70GB. Nothing like waiting 30 mins before I could play single player lol.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Games? Fucking updates are out of hand haha. COD was something like 70GB. Nothing like waiting 30 mins before I could play single player lol.
    Well that's what I mean haha - 200 GB game followed by a 50+GB update every week or two. Aint nobody got time for that. Thankfully I play that on the PC so I don't have to deal with the bandwidth caps.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Where things really matter is the upload side of things. Having a good upload helps massively for many things and can help in a lot of different ways.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Another update.. called the 1-888-472-2222 and all they could offer was a $100 bill credit.., but suggested calling the 481-1081 number mentioned above. Ugh.

And called the other number.. same deal. Offered the same I am currently paying with a $100 credit on a 2yr deal. Now going to talk to the manager and call me back.
    I'm glad that it wasn't just me.

Making the decision to hop to Telus an easier one.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Where things really matter is the upload side of things. Having a good upload helps massively for many things and can help in a lot of different ways.
    The key is to not saturate upload. As long as you're not saturated, you're in good shape. Even with all my storage in the cloud, I've only started to saturate uploads last week. Kids started a YouTube channel and 30 min gameplay video uploads sucks.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

So I made a pretty big error when looking at the deal. You don't get the $200 prepaid Visa when you combine it with the $99 promotional pricing.

That said, a bump from 600/20 to 940/940 is still substantial for $10 more per month.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    So I made a pretty big error when looking at the deal. You don't get the $200 prepaid Visa when you combine it with the $99 promotional pricing.

That said, a bump from 600/20 to 940/940 is still substantial for $10 more per month.
    Yeah, you either get promo pricing, or prepaid one time credit. Can't get both no matter how hard you try to haggle.
    I find the promo pricing you get with the rep outweighs the one-time credit that was meant to suck you in.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I just got off the phone with Shaw. The lady said that the best she could do was keep me on the Internet 600 plan for $100. I told her that was the same price as the 750mbps plan they offered and she shrugged haha.

She said she filled out a form to have someone from their "long term loyalty team" call me back in the next 24 hours.

So bizarre lol. Will see what they can do.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast