Shaw vs Telus - July 2020 - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw vs Telus - July 2020

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The “other” 14th st sw
    Great view of all the closet gay dads across the street?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

I'm currently a Shaw customer and my two year plan is coming up. Like everyone else in this thread I've been getting the same Shaw offers that are on their website. I looked into Telus and they have somewhat decent deal: https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-b...d_bundles_card

I know the internet is slower but it's got some good perks in this deal. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by visualk View Post
    I'm currently a Shaw customer and my two year plan is coming up. Like everyone else in this thread I've been getting the same Shaw offers that are on their website. I looked into Telus and they have somewhat decent deal: https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-b...d_bundles_card

I know the internet is slower but it's got some good perks in this deal. Thoughts?
    75Mbps internet is very slow by today's standards and you likely won't be at the full 75Mbps at all times of day, so that is best case scenario. How much streaming / downloading does your household do? Netflix likes about 25Mbps per 4K stream, for example.

If you just use the internet for basic surfing though, you will probably notice zero difference.

Gigabit fiber is only $85/mo with $200 free credit (where available), so 75Mbps internet + cable for $165 doesn't seem like a great deal to me personally. The $500 card is nice but as a one time thing I wouldn't put too much weight into it - it's just giving you 3 months free.

I would be looking for something better if it were me.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-04-2020 at 10:54 AM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I wouldn't ever willingly take on an Internet 75 speed unless it was the only thing they offered in the area and it's still $90 a month when their Internet 750 is $99 a month.

Secondly, think of all the streaming subscriptions you could buy with $75/month.

What exactly do you feel like are the good perks in this deal?

Hard pass on the package IMO.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Shaw can suck it. I've had spotty internet that keeps disconnecting for the past 5 months. Try talking to tech support. Reset the modem, does it work? No, well send a new modem. Call again, does the new modem work? Same shit, ok we'll send out a tech. Rimse and repeat.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Shaw can suck it. I've had spotty internet that keeps disconnecting for the past 5 months. Try talking to tech support. Reset the modem, does it work? No, well send a new modem. Call again, does the new modem work? Same shit, ok we'll send out a tech. Rimse and repeat.
    Which modem are you using? I had a similar issue with the Hitron modems a couple of years ago. The issue still exists with the XB6 modems since they use the same network chip, you have to specifically ask for a Technicolor XB6 since that uses different hardware.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Sounds like you might need a tech to check your noise levels on the line, see how bad it is. They can do that remotely. Could be your copper cable into your place is dying and needs to be replaced. Had similar issue at my parents place about 10 years ago and they had to run a new line to the house.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Shaw tech support is so useless. We had an internet outage weeks ago and I had to power cycle my modem several times before it finally started working but after that I kept having intermittent DHCP issues even with my Mac plugged directly into the modem via ethernet. I power down the modem for 30 seconds and now the modem doesn't work. The LED just keeps flashing so I spend an hour with a shaw online assistant for him to tell me he can connect on his side so I go through all his steps (steps I did prior to contacting Shaw) and he tells me the modem led should stop flashing after 5 minutes. 40 minutes later it's still flashing and he's out of answers and gives me a phone number to call to which I remained on hold for over 50 minutes before bailing out. Can you still return/exchange hardware a the 32nd Ave/Barlow main location?
    Last edited by heavyD; 08-05-2020 at 08:27 AM.

My Ride
    E90

Currently have the shaw 300 plan with speeds of 43.2 mbps download and 7.94 upload during regular times/ not peak. How would Telus 75 compare?

Telus is in the process of installing fiber this fall, and have a better TV/home security plan that shaw does not offer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you can get Telus fibre, get it
    On the 150 plan, I routinely get 165/165 speed tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by civicHB View Post
    Currently have the shaw 300 plan with speeds of 43.2 mbps download and 7.94 upload during regular times/ not peak. How would Telus 75 compare?

Telus is in the process of installing fiber this fall, and have a better TV/home security plan that shaw does not offer.
    If I'm not mistaken, Telus copper still shares bandwidth with their TV services, so that 75 Mbps will probably almost never be 75Mbps between your own TV watching and neighborhood load fluctuations. I don't know how you use your internet though, so that may not matter for you.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Telus copper still shares bandwidth with their TV services, so that 75 Mbps will probably almost never be 75Mbps between your own TV watching and neighborhood load fluctuations. I don't know how you use your internet though, so that may not matter for you.
    Telus overprovisions their bandwidth, even on copper. 75 Mbps plan will actually be something like 82Mbps plan, so you could watch a couple of streams of TV without noticing any impact. At any rate, it would be faster than 43.2 Mbps you are getting on your Shaw 300 service.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Telus overprovisions their bandwidth, even on copper. 75 Mbps plan will actually be something like 82Mbps plan, so you could watch a couple of streams of TV without noticing any impact. At any rate, it would be faster than 43.2 Mbps you are getting on your Shaw 300 service.
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

Shaw always did the same thing in my experience (until I moved to an area where their service was complete garbage), actual speeds were almost always exactly 10% above advertised (eg. Shaw 300 was 330, 600 was always 660 Mbps, etc.)

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Can you still return/exchange hardware a the 32nd Ave/Barlow main location?
    As of last year, nope. You have to go to the store in Sunridge Mall now.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    As of last year, nope. You have to go to the store in Sunridge Mall now.
    Actually I found out yesterday you can't do that at any location anymore. It's all done by mail now so I have to hope that the new modem arrives Friday. I complained that I'm paying for a service that I haven't had since Monday but they don't care. Such a shitty company.

My Ride
    E90

Just got a new modem from shaw and speed test at roughly the same time increased to 122.8 download and 15.3 upload. Much better

My Ride
    G35

Quote Originally Posted by civicHB View Post
    Just got a new modem from shaw and speed test at roughly the same time increased to 122.8 download and 15.3 upload. Much better
    Make and model ?

My Ride
    E90

Quote Originally Posted by rvd View Post
    Make and model ?
    its the XB6 not sure on make, but google says Arris.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Anyone have any opinions / experience with Shaw versus Telus out in Canmore?

Apparently the PVR I gave my dad isn’t working anymore and he was asking me about buying a new one. But it’s all on their old system so I figured rather than spend hundreds on a replacement PVR, what about upgrading to the new systems where they give you a free PVR etc.

He’s just on a crtc TV plan with a couple sport packs added, definitely want to keep cost below 60/mo for tv if possible since it’s only used on weekends. My mother would kindof like to add internet as well so if there is some way to get a bundled tv and internet plan for 70-80/mo that would be ideal.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

So got in touch with Shaw today as my contracted ended. I was on their Shaw 300 plan for $89 and they came back and offered

Shaw 300 for 2 years @ $89/month
    or
    Shaw 600 for 2 years @ $90/month

Yeah no brainer there which I choose.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast