Nokians - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nokians

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    built and designed exclusively for the Canadian market
    That's normally a marketing term for "Same product we sell elsewhere, but at twice the price for no reason"

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    That's normally a marketing term for "Same product we sell elsewhere, but at twice the price for no reason"
    No, this one for sure was designed with Groupe Touchette with the engineers working and testing within Canada. More money? Quite probable but it was definitely an active effort.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Apparently Continental has come out with a tire built and designed exclusively for the Canadian market called the IceContact XTRM. It will have the option to purchase with factory coated and molded in TriStar Tikka studs from Finland and apparently all reports suggest these will be a killer, ultra-premium tier product. It will be interesting to get some real world feedback on these.

Attachment 93106
    Attachment 93107
    Get me a quote for these in Honda Fit fitment. .
    Nah, JK.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If I had the time (and garage space), I'd have 2 sets of wheels. One with performance winters, one with Hakka's, and swap them depending on the days. Instead, I have 2 similar cars, one with performance winters and one with Hakka's.

Hakka's are great for 2 weeks every winter in absolute shit conditions. Performance winters are better 95% of the time but terrible as shit on those 2 weeks. Since the SO doesn't drive like a dick like me, the Hakka's are perfect for her all winter round.

Weight has a huge impact on wear. I'm 3 winters in on the E class and the studs are pretty much done 1/2 way through this winter, so now the tire is basically a winter tire. When we had it on our B class, we managed 4 winters on it with tons of stud length left. The B is something like 2000lbs lighter.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had the time (and garage space), I'd have 2 sets of wheels. One with performance winters, one with Hakka's, and swap them depending on the days. Instead, I have 2 similar cars, one with performance winters and one with Hakka's.

Hakka's are great for 2 weeks every winter in absolute shit conditions. Performance winters are better 95% of the time but terrible as shit on those 2 weeks. Since the SO doesn't drive like a dick like me, the Hakka's are perfect for her all winter round.

Weight has a huge impact on wear. I'm 3 winters in on the E class and the studs are pretty much done 1/2 way through this winter, so now the tire is basically a winter tire. When we had it on our B class, we managed 4 winters on it with tons of stud length left. The B is something like 2000lbs lighter.
    Jeez what are you driving under 400km a year or something to get that long of tire life /errchry
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Jeez what are you driving under 400km a year or something to get that long of tire life /errchry
    95% on harder compound performance winters... pay attention!!! You’re supposed to be good with details

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I'm not the biggest fan of the Hakka all-weather tires. We used them on my wife's Outback and they were unbearably noisy once they got half worn. As Rage said performance winter tires are perfect for Calgary roads in the winter where the roads are wet/dry a large majority of the time. You just have to be a little careful on the chaotic days we get a massive dump of snow.

My Ride
    NC1

What Hakkas do I get? I currently on Blizzak WS90 and to me it's the best ever but maybe I'll try your best ever.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Which part of Canada are they designed for?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    What Hakkas do I get? I currently on Blizzak WS90 and to me it's the best ever but maybe I'll try your best ever.
    R3.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post

- - - Updated - - -

R3.
    But bro they rated WS90 ahead of the R3. Fake news? https://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp
    I am user #49

They were designed apparently for the most severe conditions as opposed to Vancouver like conditions. Again, I have not handled them yet. I am just going by the propo releases. They are going after the Nokian/Hakka consumer.

But bro they rated WS90 ahead of the R3. Fake news? https://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp
    Well of course anything that goes against our own personal notions is fake news... That is common knowledge!

Seriously though, I never put my faith in any comparative testing as I have said numerous times, there are to many variables that dramatically affect results so even the one real change can alter the rankings, and in the real world, there is no constancy to blanket make the claims the testers come up with. I have been to so many different ride and drives comparing models and brands and the one putting on the event always comes out at the top. It never fails.
    Last edited by tirebob; 07-23-2020 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Apparently Continental has come out with a tire built and designed exclusively for the Canadian market called the IceContact XTRM. It will have the option to purchase with factory coated and molded in TriStar Tikka studs from Finland and apparently all reports suggest these will be a killer, ultra-premium tier product. It will be interesting to get some real world feedback on these.

Attachment 93106
    Attachment 93107
    I'm sure there's science behind the stud pattern for optimal grip and longetivity but with there being no symmetric pattern it looks like someone was drunk with a stud gun putting those in

My Ride

They were designed apparently for the most severe conditions as opposed to Vancouver like conditions. Again, I have not handled them yet. I am just going by the propo releases. They are going after the Nokian/Hakka consumer.
    Ok well I am looking for one optimised for Strathmore.

Is Blizzak still only sticky to 50% tread? That's like 2 trips to Costco for some people.

https://translate.google.com/transla...dekktest-2019/

Name:  bbb.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  54.7 KB
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 07-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.

What would be the difference between a tire specifically designed for Canada, and one designed in the Northeast USA, Finland, Iceland, etc? Sounds like marketing to me since a cold, harsh, winter is not unique to Canada by any means. The more choices the better though so I can't really complain.

Ok well I am looking for one optimised for Strathmore.

Is Blizzak still only sticky to 50% tread? That's like 2 trips to Costco for some people.
    I laugh that stigma is still alive and kicking. Waaaay back in the 90's when the Blizzak first came about they were the first company do really tackle that type technology, but it was quickly dumped and moved to full depth compounding and has been that way ever since, but people still like to throw that around, especially in the disreputable stores that don't sell Blizzak and they like to move people away from them with scare tactics.

My Ride

I laugh that stigma is still alive and kicking. Waaaay back in the 90's when the Blizzak first came about they were the first company do really tackle that type technology, but it was quickly dumped and moved to full depth compounding and has been that way ever since, but people still like to throw that around, especially in the disreputable stores that don't sell Blizzak and they like to move people away from them with scare tactics.
    Fine. 4 trips to Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    What would be the difference between a tire specifically designed for Canada, and one designed in the Northeast USA, Finland, Iceland, etc? Sounds like marketing to me since a cold, harsh, winter is not unique to Canada by any means. The more choices the better though so I can't really complain.
    There are things to consider like road surfaces, average conditions, common vehicles, speed limits (think autobahn vs Canadian highways), consumer demands etc. There are a lot of common things we share but not everything is the same. For sure this is playing on patriotism but it is not uncommon. Just like people believe if it was made for Finland it must be good in winter. I think they are just trying to give it a Canadian spin.

The Duratrac for example was designed and built by Goodyear working with the oil patch in mind. They apparently spent six months working within the oil industry in Canada to build a tire that they wanted and it took off like wildfire.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but are you going to be carrying these, Bob? If so, I'd probably give them a shot for the wife's school bus... Any idea on pricing?

Fine. 4 trips to Costco.

Maybe from my house lol...

The last set of Blizzaks I used were on my wifes QX56 and were the DMV2. Granted she barely drives and is very gentle on her stuff but she ran them summer and winter (I know I know... A tire guys wife should not do that lol) and I took them off after 30k or so and they were still half tread.

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    Apologies if I've misunderstood, but are you going to be carrying these, Bob? If so, I'd probably give them a shot for the wife's school bus... Any idea on pricing?

I am expecting to but I have not locked it up yet.

My Ride
    NC1

The DMV2 I had on the GLK were incredible. I just love Blizzaks, have sampled many diff tires through the years and keep coming back to them. Agreed tho that you gotta match the tire to your needs and what's most important to you.

Anyway, interesting, the R3 and WS90 are very close price wise, looks like I just might give them a try next but I'll make sure I stay away from Kal
    I am user #49

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast