Quantcast
Edmonton Eskimos become politically correct - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Edmonton Eskimos become politically correct

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Ford F150
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Edmonton Eskimos become politically correct

    Name change to "EE Football Club"

    https://www.facebook.com/edmontonesk...58462204690420

    Who does this appease? Inuit? Or just angry white people?
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,062
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Name change to "EE Football Club"

    https://www.facebook.com/edmontonesk...58462204690420

    Who does this appease? Inuit? Or just angry white people?
    My neighbour is a full blooded Eskimo/Inuit from Tuk and she thinks it is ridiculous and that her friends and family do as well. It is not a slight towards them as it was intended to demonstrate that they were modelling themselves as being a tough, durable peoples and it is more respectful than anything they think this way. It would be different I guess if they used cartoon insulting characters depicting them derogatorily but that isn't the case. As far as I know I think it has always been respectful.

    It is sad when people who are not offended are portrayed as being offended by people who have nothing to do with it that are worried about being offensive. That said, I am admittedly white privileged so maybe I am seeing this all wrong.
    Bob Blakeborough

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    So we'll just ignore these people then? Because they're "angry white people"....

    https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/articl...s_harms_inuit/

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...0the%20country

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    7,718
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Regardless of your own personal opinion on the matter, I think it's ludicrous to be offended by this change. The change literally cannot harm anyone, whereas the old name certainly was offending some people who have a history of being marginalized.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,062
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we'll just ignore these people then? Because they're "angry white people"....

    https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/articl...s_harms_inuit/

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...0the%20country
    Like I said... Maybe I am reading it wrong. I don't care either way if it stays or goes. I am referring more about a minority speaking for a majority. If truly the majority is insulted, sure. If it isn't the majority (of Inuit/Eskimo peoples), and just a few people who say they speak for the majority, then it is sad.
    Bob Blakeborough

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Ford F150
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regardless of your own personal opinion on the matter, I think it's ludicrous to be offended by this change. The change literally cannot harm anyone, whereas the old name certainly was offending some people who have a history of being marginalized.
    I doubt too many outside of Edmonton will care or have an opinion, but the comments on that FB post are as angry as you would imagine.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt too many outside of Edmonton will care or have an opinion, but the comments on that FB post are as angry as you would imagine.
    I could not give two shits about a teams name or about football. It's just sickening to see another company virtue signal this nonsense to appease some make believe minority, when literally zero people that aren't white gave any fucks about this to begin with.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    is a fancied up Bow tie.
    Posts
    3,000
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Would the Edmonton Eradicators be offensive to anyone?

    C'mon, throw up your names ideas for the new nameless team a few hours north of Calgary.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,418
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt too many outside of Edmonton will care or have an opinion, but the comments on that FB post are as angry as you would imagine.
    I rarely uses Facebook except follow some family members. Any public comment section is a no go for me. I can live without reading that shit.

    But EE football club? People is gonna ask what's one of the E stands for. Emos?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-21-2020 at 05:06 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    7,718
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    I have nearly all of my connections on Facebook blocked. It's glorious.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,240
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Rename them the Commandos since it has a similar ring to it, and ban the cheerleaders from wearing any clothes. Win win?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we'll just ignore these people then? Because they're "angry white people"....

    https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/articl...s_harms_inuit/

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...0the%20country
    Just some white guy representing a bunch of white people virtue signalling for a "made up minority", no doubt.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,291
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    E stands for Ecstacy for their thriving rave scene.
    max_boost is a name known to all
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or the max boost portfolio lol xqq/hmmj/arkk/xgro/strathmore/Chinese food lol
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is diversification in a nut shell. Equity, Fixed Income, Tech, Stoner, Real Estate, and Steady Income.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could not give two shits about a teams name or about football. It's just sickening to see another company virtue signal this nonsense to appease some make believe minority, when literally zero people that aren't white gave any fucks about this to begin with.
    Are you blind? I posted 2 articles... get your eyes checked boomer.

    Btw, you seem pretty mad about it even though you say you "couldn't give two shits"
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey13; 07-21-2020 at 10:44 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    TrackCock
    Posts
    1,921
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Edmonton Engineers with a pinky ring logo. Because engineers are awesome and make useful shit.
    SIDE TALLWALLS SAVE LIVES

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Edmonton Rough Riders... or Edmonton Roughriders.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I thought the cause of outrage was because of "Edmonton" not "Eskimos". Changing the latter does nothing to improve the former.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,581
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    The CFL still exists?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Im the one with a learning disability....

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,608
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Wonder if Oilers will get a name change. There's gotta be a group of people triggered by climate change.

    In other news, James Short Park and Parkade gets a name change in Calgary. Kinda hilarious because even my parents were bitching about James Short name before it first opened haha. Was covered extensively in the Chinese newspapers back in the day. Now, nobody cares, and they change the name. Good job!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    It's clear that this football team name has been what's holding our Indigenous people back and now that this is fixed, prosperity will rain down upon them.
    I look forward to their culture blossoming and all of their problems disappearing before the next Grey Cup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Politically Correct Transformers!

    By spikerS in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 07-16-2016, 10:31 PM
  2. Tough on crime not politically correct?

    By Seth1968 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM
  3. Politically Correct

    By Toms-SC in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 07-30-2006, 08:08 AM
  4. 2005 Grey Cup Champions -- EDMONTON ESKIMOS!!

    By Foz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 11-28-2005, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •