Quantcast
Face Mask Buying Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Face Mask Buying Thread

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've read the same thing about the valve. I think it 'looks' helpful, like a gas mask or something, but think about it. That entire mask better be impermeable besides the valve, and the mask better be skin tight. If you're having trouble breathing through a mask without a valve and thinking having a valve will help, I hate to tell ya but you have bigger problems.

Many masks out there don't conform to your face well, particularly the top portion against your maxilla(?). The metal wire here is really helpful and many don't have it.

A lady in Lake Chaparral made ours and I'm quite happy with them. Have lots of disposable ones in the cars too.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anything that goes around the ears is grossly uncomfortable, plus as soon as you take it off in the car it has to sit somewhere where it can potentially get dirty. I figured I would go the neck warmer route. Anytime I need a mask, can just pull it up from my neck to cover my face, then drop it back down when I leave the store or wherever I am. These guys have a sale on, 5 for 20$. That's what I just ordered. Can wear a new one every day or two, then wash them in the laundry every week or 2.

https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/
    I've bought quite a few of the neck style ones from these guys and have zero complaints about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Anything that goes around the ears is grossly uncomfortable, plus as soon as you take it off in the car it has to sit somewhere where it can potentially get dirty. I figured I would go the neck warmer route. Anytime I need a mask, can just pull it up from my neck to cover my face, then drop it back down when I leave the store or wherever I am. These guys have a sale on, 5 for 20$. That's what I just ordered. Can wear a new one every day or two, then wash them in the laundry every week or 2.

https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/
    Disagree on your first comment, we've got a bunch of cloth around the ear masks from London Drugs and they are very comfortable.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some lady is sewing masks to fundraise for a local community playgroup. I got a star wars fabric. I suspect I dislike it about her as much as I would anything else. Hangs from the gear shift in my truck. I try not to overthink it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Although I did think of your goal is comfort, the thinnest cotton/poly t-shirt type fabric is probably best and easiest to care for. Valves etc seem like an unnecessary complication.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I thought these types of masks with the discharge valves were basically defeating the purpose of wearing the mask because it still allows you to exhale your moist air just like you were breathing without the mask. Seeing as the purpose of the masks are not to stop things from getting in but droplets from getting out I was under the impression these type of masks were not recommended? That being said, I've been wrong plenty of times before so maybe I am wrong here too?

My wife sews so she's been making surgical style cloth masks for family and friends. I have a few Sask Rough Riders ones I have been wearing but I will probably get her to flange some up from an old dress shirt if I am forced to go downtown.
    Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I've read the same thing about the valve. I think it 'looks' helpful, like a gas mask or something, but think about it. That entire mask better be impermeable besides the valve, and the mask better be skin tight. If you're having trouble breathing through a mask without a valve and thinking having a valve will help, I hate to tell ya but you have bigger problems.

Many masks out there don't conform to your face well, particularly the top portion against your maxilla(?). The metal wire here is really helpful and many don't have it.

A lady in Lake Chaparral made ours and I'm quite happy with them. Have lots of disposable ones in the cars too.
    The air still has to go through a charcoal filter so I imagine it has the same ability to stop water droplets from flying out of my mouth that any face covering would. I am not wearing a mask to avoid breathing in anything in regards to covid. I am quite happy leaving enough space between me and other people and have never been worried about the virus itself. I went with this type because I really don't like having a mask pressed against my mouth and nostrils and this one seems like it is raised off of those spots so might be more tolerable, and in the end if it isn't for regular wear, I can use it as a dust mask while working around the house.
    Last edited by tirebob; 07-24-2020 at 08:08 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I am not thinking about what I am breathing in as much as not spitting on people. The filter aspect is more about if I am working in dusty shit but yeah I do get your point.
    Filter is the only barrier for you to stop spitting on people. The mesh has larges hole that it blocks basically nothing. I only used these early on due to shortage. I have switched to cloth ones now.

The air still has to go through a charcoal filter so I imagine it has the same ability to stop water droplets from flying out of my mouth that any face covering would. I am not wearing a mask to avoid breathing in anything in regards to covid. I am quite happy leaving enough space between me and other people and have never been worried about the virus itself. I went with this type because I really don't like having a mask pressed against my mouth and nostrils and this one seems like it is raised off of those spots so might be more tolerable, and in the end if it isn't for regular wear, I can use it as a dust mask while working around the house.
    No it doesn't. The valve isn't filtered unless you got filters that doesn't have the valve holes in them. I glued the flap shut to use them (my version of the valve is different than the picture you got). Again these are the only mask I got my hands on back in March when choices are slim. And the valves mostly disintegrated and I'm already out of filters by May after about 20 uses per mask. I love that neck strap and it's comfortable for long term uses compare to strictly ear loops one.

These are designed to filter air breathing in but not breathing out as the valve closes on intake.

But at a minimum even if you don't glue the valve shut, it will stop the trajectory of the droplet and reduce the amount distance it travel.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-24-2020 at 09:47 AM.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got an old Columbia neck gaiter that I've been using. I've tried various brands of face masks but can't seem to get one that is comfortable. Curious to see what others find.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I've got an old Columbia neck gaiter that I've been using. I've tried various brands of face masks but can't seem to get one that is comfortable. Curious to see what others find.
    I don't know where Suncor sourced theirs but apparently they gave a bunch to their employees and I was able to get 2 from a relative that works there. They are my favorites by far.

Chinese made but good nose indent/metal strip and an extra seem/cloth for for secure chin coverage. Very good seal, not very stressed on ear loops.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I don't know where Suncor sourced theirs but apparently they gave a bunch to their employees and I was able to get 2 from a relative that works there. They are my favorites by far.

Chinese made but good nose indent/metal strip and an extra seem/cloth for for secure chin coverage. Very good seal, not very stressed on ear loops.
    My wife works at Suncor and we got the ones sent to us. However, I find they move around too much when I talk and the mask ends up falling off.

The valved masks are better than nothing but technically not great because some of your breath will still exit unfiltered through the valves. They just aren't designed for this - they are for cyclists/runners in traffic (Carbon filter for vehicle exhaust), or larger particles like dust. The Astro AI mask does not filter the air exiting the valves because it doesn't have to - it is not designed as a medical covering. If you look at the carbon filters they have pre-cut holes in them for the valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The valved masks are better than nothing but technically not great because some of your breath will still exit unfiltered through the valves. They just aren't designed for this - they are for cyclists/runners in traffic (Carbon filter for vehicle exhaust), or larger particles like dust. The Astro AI mask does not filter the air exiting the valves because it doesn't have to - it is not designed as a medical covering. If you look at the carbon filters they have pre-cut holes in them for the valves.
    Hmmm... I am sure I can rig something up like a piece of cloth in the valve hole if that is an issue, That said, I would think any mask that has any form of porous material isn’t stopping all moisture from escaping. It is more about stopping the projectile form of droplets no?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Hmmm... I am sure I can rig something up like a piece of cloth in the valve hole if that is an issue, That said, I would think any mask that has any form of porous material isn’t stopping all moisture from escaping. It is more about stopping the projectile form of droplets no?
    Just order this... Problem solved

https://www.underarmour.ca/en-ca/p/u...k/1368010.html

None of the masks people are wearing are 100%, they just help stop the bigger droplets if you cough, sneeze, or spit while you talk. If a little bit does get out, the viral load will be less than if the person had no mask if that person is infected, therefore reducing chances of transmission. The AstroAi mask is for sure better than nothing, but it's different from a traditional face covering in that it allows air out unobstructed through the valves for easier breathing while doing physical activity (which is why they are primarily made for runners/cyclists). I don't think anyone would question you on it though, and they might actually be a reasonable option for people who have trouble breathing in a normal mask because it's still better than nothing.

Give it a try, see how you feel about it or if you can easily modify it, and if not just return it - you have 30 days no questions asked with Amazon which is nice.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    My wife works at Suncor and we got the ones sent to us. However, I find they move around too much when I talk and the mask ends up falling off.
    I do have a giant head.... so may be why I love them.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

#trending #sohotrightnow

Name:  CyOO5c0W8AA4aQo.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  52.7 KB
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Disagree on your first comment, we've got a bunch of cloth around the ear masks from London Drugs and they are very comfortable.
    To each their own. It's the main complaint from basically everybody. That' why these kids were 3d printing those plastic clips for keeping the straps off your ears and hooked behind your head, because of how uncomfortable most people find them.

I'll report back how my neck gaiters work out. I've definitely had enough of this double layer FR material one they gave us at work. I'm suffocating by the time I finish walking in to work from the parking lot. Need something easier to breathe through.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 04:23 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Received from Amazon. Seems fine. Putting time in a wash first.
    London Drugs can put prints on masks.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast