Refrigerator help please.... - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Refrigerator help please....

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Works for wives too.
    You need money or personality for that to work. I have neither. Besides, as I said, I like old broken things
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Clearly the fridge is racist. I put beer on the wine shelf.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    V167

On the topic of fridges...

I purchased a new Frigidaire to put in the garage for storing extra veggies/milk etc. Trying to avoid a mid week grocery store trip for essentials. It is a top freezer/refrigerator unit.

Plugged it in, came back 24 hrs later, temp is still not cold. Odd. So I started reading about potential causes (assuming that my unit is not defective in some way).

Temps here have been cool, 8 to 12 degrees, cooler at night. Inside the garage it is cool, single digits to maybe low double digits. I did some reading about fridges in garages having issues in cooler weather. Compressor does not turn on as thermostat in the refrigerator senses it is already cold enough.

There is a "garage kit" available which involves basically installing a small patch heater of sorts on the thermostat to trick it into thinking its warm and to turn compressor on. The kit is 35 dollars and is available from Amre Supply.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with a newer fridge?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    On the topic of fridges...

I purchased a new Frigidaire to put in the garage for storing extra veggies/milk etc. Trying to avoid a mid week grocery store trip for essentials. It is a top freezer/refrigerator unit.

Plugged it in, came back 24 hrs later, temp is still not cold. Odd. So I started reading about potential causes (assuming that my unit is not defective in some way).

Temps here have been cool, 8 to 12 degrees, cooler at night. Inside the garage it is cool, single digits to maybe low double digits. I did some reading about fridges in garages having issues in cooler weather. Compressor does not turn on as thermostat in the refrigerator senses it is already cold enough.

There is a "garage kit" available which involves basically installing a small patch heater of sorts on the thermostat to trick it into thinking its warm and to turn compressor on. The kit is 35 dollars and is available from Amre Supply.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with a newer fridge?
    I’m a refrigeration guy and had to look it up. If you have a fridge with a mechanical thermostat, it is operating on a pressurized capillary tube or sensing bulb containing refrigerant. When the thermostat itself gets close to the internal fridge temperature, the internal operating pressure will become insufficient to close the switch. Must be some low pressure, save the environment green juice in it because old fridges work just fine in a cold garage. Use the kit, shouldn’t have an issues with it other than using a touch more power. Also not needed with a digital thermostat which I would think everything domestic is using by now. (apparently not)

My Ride
    V167

@Darell_n many thanks sir. I picked up the kit on my way home from work today. Will install and post an update.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    @Darell_n many thanks sir. I picked up the kit on my way home from work today. Will install and post an update.
    The old trick for this was to put a jumper across the fridge light contact in the winter so the light bulb stayed on and warmed up the fridge compartment enough to make the compressor run. We used to have a customer with 10 fridges in his garage for herbal medicines that we put summer/winter toggle switches in for him on the lights so he could do the seasonal switch for himself.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fucking Fridge Crisper Drawer clip detonated again. Reliable parts no longer stocks this part locally, but they WILL allow free instore pickup of special order parts without charging for shipping, so that's a win, maybe. I plan on gluing the shit out of this once it's reassembeld, because the next time it breaks I truly will be burning this house down in a fit of rage. Fixing this once a year is exactly the sort of thing that tests my sanity.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Fucking Fridge Crisper Drawer clip detonated again. Reliable parts no longer stocks this part locally, but they WILL allow free instore pickup of special order parts without charging for shipping, so that's a win, maybe. I plan on gluing the shit out of this once it's reassembeld, because the next time it breaks I truly will be burning this house down in a fit of rage. Fixing this once a year is exactly the sort of thing that tests my sanity.
    Sounds like an opportunity to print / machine a better one. Do you have a pic of the guilty piece?

My Ride
    Trucks

One trick I had for thrashing rc trucks years ago was to fill in the plastic bulkhead and suspension piece depressions with CA glue and baking soda. The piece will be significantly tougher after that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well, spent some time disassembling and then googling and then more googling, but turns out all I needed was this little clip. $8.51 at reliable parts this morning and I'm good as new.
    Attachment 96523
    Darrell, this clip. It's 3d complex shape, honestly don't even think it broke this time, jist slipped out of the hole. So I think a few globs of permanent glue is the answer.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7