Quantcast
Kitchen cabinet recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen cabinet recommendations

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Kitchen cabinet recommendations

I am looking to get a new kitchen shortly. Does anyone on Beyond do kitchen cabinets or can recommend one they've had good experience with?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What end of the budget spectrum are you thinking?
    Ikea has some pretty good cabinet options, and cabinets are going to be one of your largest expenses.

I have no contractor recommendations, unless you want bottom of the barrel cost for rental house or similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What end of the budget spectrum are you thinking?
    Ikea has some pretty good cabinet options, and cabinets are going to be one of your largest expenses.

I have no contractor recommendations, unless you want bottom of the barrel cost for rental house or similar.

Will have a look at Ikea's selections. Always thought they were bottom of the barrel for some reason. Im looking for something on the cheaper end of the spectrum but not bottom of the barrel

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, you won't find cabinets cheaper, so in that sense they are bottom of the barrel, but in my opinion they are decent quality if they are installed well. The other items in the kitchen, like backsplash, flooring, appliances and coutertops (if you don't use IKEA counters) will have a big impact on how it all looks in the end.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FB6

I've looked into this in the past, Ikea cabinet boxes and hinges/slides are actually good quality. The hardware is actually all blum. If you are okay with their limited sizing which means you may have to use more filler pieces, they are a great option.

There are places online (not sure about locally) where you can order custom doors for ikea boxes to give you a more custom look.

I currently sub to Woodcraft Kitchen Cabinets, I really don't much about their pricing but they can do some quite economical stuff to much higher end as well. Components/hardware can really start to inflate a kitchen's cost - the sky's the limit with that stuff.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Will have a look at Ikea's selections. Always thought they were bottom of the barrel for some reason. Im looking for something on the cheaper end of the spectrum but not bottom of the barrel
    They aren't very good cabinets. Look at things like the hardware but more specifically the drawer construction....cheap.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Cabinet solutions maybe?
    If you go Ikea, get ALL the cabinets at the same time. If one is backordered, there is a chance they never get it and you're stuck with a mis-matched cabinet. Happened to someone I know.

My Ride
    V8s

When we bought our house, it had an Ikea kitchen. It was garbage. The hardware was worn out, drawers and doors were poor quality. The only redeeming quality is the price (granted that obviously counts for a lot). When we redid our kitchen, the cabinets were done mostly by dreamspace interiors and we're very happy. They won't be competitive with Ikea prices though.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Happy wife = happy life. Spend a little more and get better quality and it'll pay back in long run
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Cabinet solutions maybe?
    If you go Ikea, get ALL the cabinets at the same time. If one is backordered, there is a chance they never get it and you're stuck with a mis-matched cabinet. Happened to someone I know.
    If you go ikea, wait for the kitchen event. I believe they do it twice a year. It's worth it.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I have had clients use these guys quite a bit:

https://www.denca.ca/custom-cabinets...-kitchens.html
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Currently using "New Look Cabinets" to do an overhaul of our kitchen.
    We are mid-project so I can't speak to the finalized work, but the customer service back and forth has been fantastic so far.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

You should get multiple quotes, you will be surprised at the difference in costs. Stay away from Home Depot and Lowes.

We got quotes from Zen Living and Albert Cabinet Manufacturers (I believe). The guy that did our quote at ACM, was made when I told him his quote was higher then the Zen Living. He said if he knew he was competing with Zen Living, he wouldn't have bothered to give me a quote because there is no way he could have beat their prices. Depending on your time frame, I think Zen offers a 10% discount or something like that if you are willing to wait to get your cabinets made in China and shipped, as opposed to getting them made in house. We did have a bit of issues using Zen, the guys that came to measure, measured everything opposite, and I would say that 70% of our cabinets were remade twice, as we were using existing counter tops and what the designed didn't work, second time was because they messed them up again. All in all it took longer than expected, but for the price I was happy. Also, they ended up running a bead of caulk from the cabinets from the ceiling and a couple months later the cabinets started to drop and ripped apart the ceiling so they had to come in and put on a crown molding piece to cover the separation. They originally wanted me to pay $500 to get this fixed, but after talking to the owner about all the issues we had, they fixed everything for free.

I would use them again if I was looking for cabinets, even with all the issues experienced.

I used to sub to Zen, quality control has become an issue with their product since they moved their manufacturing overseas. Pricewise they are very competitive but knowing what I do I, I look to other cabinet companies in Calgary as there at least 150 of them. Word of warning, stray away from Calgary Custom Cabinetry - the owner there rips both his customers and his subs off.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by triplep View Post
    You should get multiple quotes, you will be surprised at the difference in costs. Stay away from Home Depot and Lowes.

We got quotes from Zen Living and Albert Cabinet Manufacturers (I believe). The guy that did our quote at ACM, was made when I told him his quote was higher then the Zen Living. He said if he knew he was competing with Zen Living, he wouldn't have bothered to give me a quote because there is no way he could have beat their prices. Depending on your time frame, I think Zen offers a 10% discount or something like that if you are willing to wait to get your cabinets made in China and shipped, as opposed to getting them made in house. We did have a bit of issues using Zen, the guys that came to measure, measured everything opposite, and I would say that 70% of our cabinets were remade twice, as we were using existing counter tops and what the designed didn't work, second time was because they messed them up again. All in all it took longer than expected, but for the price I was happy. Also, they ended up running a bead of caulk from the cabinets from the ceiling and a couple months later the cabinets started to drop and ripped apart the ceiling so they had to come in and put on a crown molding piece to cover the separation. They originally wanted me to pay $500 to get this fixed, but after talking to the owner about all the issues we had, they fixed everything for free.

I would use them again if I was looking for cabinets, even with all the issues experienced.
    Good lord, they must have been cheap. Any single one of the issues you had would be a motivator for me to spend more and get someone else, let alone all of them combined

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Good lord, they must have been cheap. Any single one of the issues you had would be a motivator for me to spend more and get someone else, let alone all of them combined
    Cabinets just shouldn't drop and certainly any caulking the Zen people should have used shouldn't have ripped apart the ceiling unless it was silicone - silicone will easily tear things apart once it's set up.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by triplep View Post

You call that "a bit of issues"? Hell no, not worth the price. They sound incompetent to me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I'd hope they were half the price of ikea for all that shitshow. Jesus fucking christ.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Cabinets just shouldn't drop and certainly any caulking the Zen people should have used shouldn't have ripped apart the ceiling unless it was silicone - silicone will easily tear things apart once it's set up.
    The cabinets just wanted to go back to their home country.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast