Quantcast
Another....what car to buy thread.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another....what car to buy thread..

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Another....what car to buy thread..

What car to buy… its my turn.
    Please contain your excitement.

Lets see what the Beyond hivemind says.

I need to change my CRV. I bought it initially to keep it for three years. Somehow its lasted eight. God bless those Samurai Engineers at Honda. But its time to move on...

Im looking to spend 15-20k, maaaaaaaybe to 25K(sih) with financing. Me and my gf are looking to buy a home. So I don’t want to spent too much over that (I need cash available for a new 90’ TV, gas stove for my delicious cooking etc.)
    But I would like something reliable and practical (with a bit of vava voom). No domestics. No Germans, I cant afford the maintenance on my peasant salary.

I would like a SUV. Im mostly alone in Calgary and having a suv has proven to be practical in moving stuff/ getting stuff done, helping others etc.

I would like a 2019 CRV EX but its waaaay outa my budget. I can maybe stretch to the 2017/2018 model years. But I’m a bit scared due to the gas/oil issues. Anyone who owns a CRV with those model years please chip in with your thoughts and if you have had any issues.

My budget shows only a 2016 CRV (before the styling changes).

Ive test driven the Santa FE. Not a fan. It’s weird mishmash of good stuff and crap. It was like when I asked a distant family friend to make me a cheeseburger. It was all there, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes etc. But the way it was thrown together...it was made with with no love…just did not taste right.. if ya get my drift.

The Subaru Forrester felt too bouncy (My 2002 Honda gave a better ride – I am not joking). The sun visors were too small. Silly I know, but my gf is 5’1 and it was a sunny day and the visors did not help her.

Rav4 was better of the three. But my god it was boring. It reminded me of a hot ex girlfriend I used to date back in London. She was stunning, but so dull to be with.

I drove the new CRV last weekend. Aside from the rubberband CVT. It was the better out of the four (and outa my budget). The sales rep keep grinning at me and kept pushing me to spend 40K like its easy. Then another Honda dealership just called me and said its cheaper to finance $40k than $30k for a 2019. *sigh*

Other contenders are the Subaru Cross Trek (used).
    Curve ball contenders: 2016 onwards, Honda Fit (Manual, if I can ever find one at a decent price.. Do I become a cheap ass and force my gf to learn manual? who knows.. im playing with random thoughts here)

Mazda CX5.. I know nothing about this and a friend keeps saying it still has a bit of Ford in it.
    Are Nissans still to be avoided for the trans issues?
    Lexus and Acura are outa my price range ( I don’t like the older models, they look bloated like they need to do a keto diet)

Do I continue my love affair and get another Zondalita?

Entertain me with your thoughts..

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

What year is your current CRV?

Why upgrade a old CRV to slightly newer (but still old) CRV or other SUV?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What year is your current CRV?

Why upgrade a old CRV to slightly newer (but still old) CRV or other SUV?
    2002. I dont want to pump more moola into it to keep it running. Also tech and safety stuff is old...18 years. If im with my gf, Id like to be in something that a a bit more modern for safety.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You like the crv, and it suits your lifestyle. Buy the newest crv you can afford without financing.

Don't over complicate this buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    bus

Beware of the fuel dilution problems with the crv. Hyundai makes nice feature loaded SUV’s/Cuv

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Have you looked at the new style GLE53s? One of those should suit you... I'm surprised no one has suggested one yet.

/end obligatory way off-the-mark Beyond car suggestion

Seriously though, 'Slow got it right - you know CRVs, you like CRVs, get another CRV.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    Beware of the fuel dilution problems with the crv. Hyundai makes nice feature loaded SUV’s/Cuv
    It feels like you didn't read the whole post.
    He mentioned those problems, and asked for input from current owners.
    He also talked about Hyundai already as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    Seriously though, 'Slow got it right - you know CRVs, you like CRVs, get another CRV.
    ExtraSlow always gets it right. That's why he's the most reputable member of beyond.ca.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    What car to buy… its my turn.
    I would like a 2019 CRV EX but its waaaay outa my budget. I can maybe stretch to the 2017/2018 model years. But I’m a bit scared due to the gas/oil issues. Anyone who owns a CRV with those model years please chip in with your thoughts and if you have had any issues.
    My parents have a 2019 CR-V EX, my boss has a 2018 CR-V EX-L, and two of my good friends have 2018/19 CR-V LX's. Like you, they just drove the competition and decided they liked it best. None of them have had any issues, but it's barely been a year (or two) and of course they're all under warranty. There was a service advisory for the oil issue and I don't know that it affected later models. My vehicle has the same motor and it's been trouble free so far at 40,000km or so. The CVT is better than most, but it's still a CVT as you saw on your test drive. The way to go is the LX trim in my opinion, it is quite a lot cheaper than the EX and above trims and has most of the options people want including all of the safety tech like autonomous cruise w/low speed follow, lane keep, lane departure, autonomous braking, etc. The only thing they don't give you is the lane-watch camera in terms of the safety equipment. You give up things like leather, NAV (just use AA/ACP), and a power lift gate but you still get AWD and the list of standard features is long.
    They're just great all-round vehicles with no major issues and tons of features/space. Everyone seems to want them too, so it's very easy to sell them after the fact or if your life plans ever change.

They hold their value so well, have you thought about leasing? Your total cost of ownership ends up being extremely low, and you get the luxury of not having any real commitment along with the rest of the leasing benefits. You can get them (LX trim) for almost $30K on the nose which makes a lease cost about $180+GST biweekly which is pretty cheap. If you have an existing CR-V you will probably get 1-2% loyalty discount off the lease rate as well unless it's too old. Then at the end of the 4 years or whatever, you may wish to just buy it out and sell it for ~$8K above the residual, or whatever the market price ends up being at the time. 2016 LX models are listed in the low $20K range currently, so only about $7K less than new after 4 years (residual is ~$14K). If you're set on buying it outright though, you will be limited to older used models if your max budget is $25K.

Just my thoughts anyway.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

SUVs are stupid. Honda Fit.
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Currently have a 2017 CRV EX-L. Mechanically its been good, but had a few small irritating issues like paint peel, seat stitching coming off, and battery drain. Owned it since new, I haven't been in it in a while but id guess around 40k kms total. Overall I wouldn't get another, but for the money it was good, and all the Honda Sense stuff is cool. My wife loves it.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Based on the following criteria, which I cherry picked, while ignoring the rest of your criteria, I think a Trackhawk makes the most sense.

- "I would like a SUV." This recommendation is an SUV

- "practical in moving stuff/ getting stuff done, helping others etc." I have done these exact things with mine.

- "But I would like something ................... (with a bit of vava voom)" With 707 hp, the Trackhawk has a lot of vava voom

- "Rav4 was better of the three. But my god it was boring." The Trackhawk is far from boring to drive.

- "I drove the new CRV last weekend. Aside from the rubberband CVT." ZF 8 speed, no concerns here.

Name:  Cieq2YL.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  77.1 KB
    Last edited by 90_Shelby; 07-27-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I change my vote to Trackhawk.
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    NC1

CRV, Rav4, CX5, Forester in that order if it were me
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    V8s

Think about a first gen RDX (2006-2011/12). VTEC turbo, and a (reasonably) good AWD system. Has all the basic creature comforts like heated seats, bluetooth streaming etc if you get a Tech package model. Practical. Seats are very comfortable.

We have a 2011 for my wife's car, and I've been toying with replacing it with an E400 wagon for a while now, but I just can't bring myself to sell the damn thing. Honda reliability, enough driving fun and engagement to keep you entertained, reasonably small while still being practical, great interior (for the price). You owe it to yourself to at least go drive one of them before you make your decision; I'd rather have it over lots of newer comparable cars and it should be very easy to get a great example within your budget.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

PM'd. Have an option that ticks most of your boxes and is WAY under your budget...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Get an HRV.

Used AWD models fit within your budget. Used FWD are way under your budget. Or new base models are getting close to your budget.

Size is similar to your current CRV but has all that tech/safety stuff you want.

Slow as balls... but if you're considering a Fit then speed/HP must not be a concern.

New car, new house...how long you been with this girl, son?

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    New car, new house...how long you been with this girl, son?
    Maybe it's the @ercchry school of dating where the girl pays for stuff!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    bus

Last edited by redblack; 07-27-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast