Quantcast
External Graphics Card - non gaming?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: External Graphics Card - non gaming??

Default External Graphics Card - non gaming??

I picked up a AMD 3700x (and motherboard etc...) to replace my 2500K in my file/VM server in March.

I have a Areca 1882-16x, a 4 port intel nic and a AMD 6XXX 1GB for video (super low end that was $20).

I'd like to remove the video card because I don't need it but it's a pain to have to add it if I need to get into the BIOS or if the system hangs in my Norco 4224 case.

I'm assuming those USB-C to display adators just pass the video from your graphic card? USB-C

I was thinking one of those Laptop External Video Card PCI-E Graphics Card might work when I need video..

Any suggestions?

I was looking to get a workstation/server motherboard but decided to grab the Gigabyte UltraX570 while MX had it in stock (as shit was going down hill in March... ).
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

I don't get why you would have bought a 3700X for that purpose... You could have bought an i3, an Athlon, 3200G/3400G or pretty much any shitty cpu with built in graphics. Then you wouldn't be having any of the above issues. Just seems like lunacy to buy the above hardware if your aim was a server.

Now you're sorta stuck because the BIOS isn't going to be able to start up something funky like a external USB graphics card. It won't know wth to do with that... I'd be looking at running the system headless using linux or something else like that with a possible BIOS serial redirection...

You might be able to get something weird going with a plug in m2 pci-e card and maybe even be able to get the hot swap working but it also might just require you to fully shut down and seat the card.
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 07-30-2020 at 10:57 PM.

My Ride
    fiat abarth

Not sure if it will be applicable to your setup, but you can use plugable usb hubs to pass video to dual monitors over usb3.0. I use this in the office.

https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Unive.../dp/B00ECDM78E

Quote Originally Posted by bcylau View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if it will be applicable to your setup, but you can use plugable usb hubs to pass video to dual monitors over usb3.0. I use this in the office.

https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Unive.../dp/B00ECDM78E
    Thanks for the suggestion! Much like the Startech ones after really digging into their support pages it says you need a video card for them to work. Someone on the Plugable support page wanted to do the same thing I wanted.

I picked up a GT 710 PCIE x1. It still has current drivers and frees up a x16 slot. The old card was actually a 4250!

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get why you would have bought a 3700X for that purpose... You could have bought an i3, an Athlon, 3200G/3400G or pretty much any shitty cpu with built in graphics. Then you wouldn't be having any of the above issues. Just seems like lunacy to buy the above hardware if your aim was a server.

Now you're sorta stuck because the BIOS isn't going to be able to start up something funky like a external USB graphics card. It won't know wth to do with that... I'd be looking at running the system headless using linux or something else like that with a possible BIOS serial redirection...

You might be able to get something weird going with a plug in m2 pci-e card and maybe even be able to get the hot swap working but it also might just require you to fully shut down and seat the card.
    I'm really happy with the performance of the 3700X! I'm glad I picked and I don't think it's over kill for what I'm doing with it.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.