Quantcast
Crazy Motorsport accidents that drivers survived - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crazy Motorsport accidents that drivers survived

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sophia Florsch @ Macau. Broken back but recovered, I thought I heard a reporter or some bystander died but can't find anything about that rn.

When I first saw that crash a few years ago I thought it was in fast motion. Nope.

Terrible crash, which could have been even worse if the car or debris had hit those workers.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Jerry Punch worked his first assignment for ESPN at the 1982 Atlanta Journal 500; on Sunday he worked his last. Throughout those 35 years, Punch proved himself as one of the most respected reporters for his skills in front of the camera. But beyond his media work, he became one of the most revered individuals in the racing community for his medical skills as well. In those three decades holding an ESPN microphone, Punch used his knowledge to save the lives of three separate drivers.

Three months later, Punch saved another driver, this time ARCA racer, Don Marmor. On lap 55 of the season finale race at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Lee Raymond hit the fourth turn wall. Out of control, Raymond came across the track and side-swiped Marmor passing to the inside. Marmor's car was redirected and hit the end of pit wall, protected by two tractor tires filled with sand. The force of the impact was much greater than the barrier was built to withstand. When Marmor hit it, the bottom tire collapsed and the top tire nearly went through his windshield. The crash was so severe, it sent the 500 pound tire nearly 50 feet into the air and flipped Marmor's car twice at the entrance to pit road. Punch had been working pit road for ESPN and the race would be aired at a later date. Despite not seeing the wreck himself, Punch was on the way to lend a hand.

"I got about midway down pit road, and I see an ARCA official," Punch said. "I asked him: 'Hey, what happened?' He said: 'A boy hit the pit road wall head-on. He's gone.' I said: 'What?' He said: 'He's gone.' I took off running."

When Jerry reached the car, he climbed through the broken windshield and found the steering wheel was pushed back into Marmor's chest. He quickly opened an airway and inserted an IV into the driver's heart.

"Putting a line to feed a catheter into the heart of a guy sitting in a race car is risky, but you're dealing with life and death," Punch said. He was brought to the infield care center and airlifted to Georgia Baptist Hospital. ESPN cameras captured their employee at Marmor's side as the injured man was wheeled away on a stretcher.

Marmor arrived at the hospital in very serious condition. He suffered fractures of the left leg in 14 places, cracked ribs, a detached retina, a fractured right foot, fractures of every bone in both hands, bruised lungs and loss of memory. He was unconscious for three weeks and was hospitalized until the following March. Marmor never raced again but still lives in Illinois and works as a bodyman.

"I'm very lucky that Jerry Punch was working the race that day," Marmor told an interviewer in 2011. "He got my heart going. It's because of him that I'm still around."
    https://www.racing-reference.info/showblog?id=3021
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    14 ZL1

You guys should watch Rapid Response on amazon prime. Very good show about Dr. Stephen Olvey and his career in Indycar developing the Safety Team and racecars.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride

Two presentations by Dr. John Hinds, a Northern Irish doctor that worked at motorcycle races. They're long videos at 44 and 23 minutes each, but really interesting to see how they respond to crashes and the things to look for with motorcycle crash victims. The first video is age restricted I think due to a brief image of a degloved foot. The second video can stand on its own if you can't watch the first, but he references the first in the second.

Hinds himself was later killed in a motorcycle crash, responding to an incident during a practice session at the Skerries 100.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

From Macau this year. I don't know any of the drivers involved and don't follow this series, but that was surprisingly violent, even for Macau.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

I saw this on reddit today.

2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

Just saw this one today browsing youtube.

Fun (not fun, but weird) fact: the car was rebuilt and sold to another owner. At the same track, three days short of a year later, driver Gary Batson was involved in a crash in which both cars caught fire. Batson was trapped inside the car and died in hospital the following day.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2