Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the article:

"Tuesday's blast ...was the most powerful in years in Beirut."

Think about that for a second.
    “This almost never happens here anymore”
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Well looks like that claim was fake news. Apparently US Defence does not think it was an attack or bomb after all:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/pentag...sion-an-attack
    Sound like turnip man either a) misheard what the intelligence people told him or b) 'misunderestimated' the 'terrorists'

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Wait... It's now a bombing?

Thought it's just improperly stored AN?
    Yea, poor word choice on my part. Explosion. Was thinking of Syria while writing this and made the Freudian slip. Despite the crazy claims coming from Trump and conspiracy theorists, the first video I saw showed sparkling that tied in with the initial fireworks warehouse claim and the further details continue to support that.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    From the article:

"Tuesday's blast ...was the most powerful in years in Beirut."

Think about that for a second.
    When your entire existence is solely based on fighting and trying to push Israel into the sea, violence and war is just a way of life.

Ammonium nitrate storage warehouse workers - 'wonder who's moving in next door?'

'I think it's just some fireworks manufacturer'

https://media.tenor.com/images/b8b3e...c304/tenor.gif
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 08-05-2020 at 12:24 PM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    When your entire existence is solely based on fighting and trying to push Israel into the sea, violence and war is just a way of life.
    Or perhaps the exact opposite and Lebanon has just tried to avoid more territory being seized by Israel. Quick Wikipedia on the subject:
    Lebanon conflict

The Blue Line covers the Lebanese–Israeli border; an extension covers the Lebanese–Golan Heights boundary.

On March 14, 1978, Israel launched Operation Litani, occupying the area south of the Litani River, excepting Tyre (see map). In response to the invasion, the UN Security Council passed Council Resolution 425 and Resolution 426 calling for the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanon. Israeli forces withdrew later in 1978, but turned over their positions inside Lebanon to their ally, the South Lebanon Army (SLA).
    The United Nations in June 2000 was called upon to decide the Lebanese border to determine whether Israel had fully withdrawn from Lebanon in compliance with UN Security Council Resolution 425. This line came to be called the Blue Line. At the same time, the United Nations did not have to consider the legality of the boundary between Lebanon and the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights, as that was not required for the purpose of Council Resolution 425. Accordingly, the Armistice Demarcation Line between Lebanon and the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights is expressly not to be called the Blue Line.
    The Blue Line, which the UN had to determine, was the line of deployment of the IDF before March 14, 1978, when Israel invaded Lebanon. In effect that line was recognised by both Lebanon and by Israel as the international border, and not just as the Armistice Demarcation Line of 1949 (what is commonly called the Green Line) following the 1948 Arab–Israeli War.
    On April 17, 2000, Israel announced that it would withdraw its forces from Lebanon. The Lebanese government refused to take part in marking the border. The UN thus conducted its own survey based on the line for the purpose of Council Resolution 425, which called for "strict respect for the territorial integrity, sovereignty and political independence of Lebanon within its internationally recognized boundaries".
    From May 24 to June 7, 2000, the UN Special Envoy heard views in Israel, Lebanon and Syria. The United Nations cartographer and his team, assisted by UNIFIL, worked on the ground to identify a line to be adopted for the practical purposes of confirming the Israeli withdrawal. While it was agreed that this would not be a formal border demarcation, the aim was to identify a line on the ground closely conforming to the internationally recognized boundaries of Lebanon, based on the best available cartographic and other documentary evidence. On May 25, 2000, Israel notified the Secretary-General that it had redeployed its forces in compliance with Council Resolution 425, that is to the Internationally recognized Lebanese border. On June 7, the completed map showing the withdrawal line was formally transmitted by the force commander of UNIFIL to his Lebanese and Israeli counterparts. Notwithstanding their reservations about the line, the governments of Israel and Lebanon confirmed that identifying this line was solely the responsibility of the United Nations and that they would respect the line as identified.
    On June 8, 2000, UNIFIL teams commenced the work of verifying the Israeli withdrawal behind the line.
    The Blue Line

The Blue Line identified by the United Nations in 2000 as the border of Lebanon, from the Mediterranean Sea to the Hasbani River, closely approximates the Green Line set under the 1949 armistice agreement between Lebanon and Israel.[30] The area east of the Hasbani River is considered part of Syria and included in the Golan Heights.
    The armistice agreement between Lebanon and Israel was signed on March 23, 1949. The main points were:

• The terms of the agreement were dictated exclusively by military considerations.
    • The armistice line (i.e., "Green Line") was the international border, which corresponds to the 1923 Mandate border between the Lebanon and Palestine (see: Treaty of Sèvres).
    • Unlike the other Green Line agreements, it contains no clause disclaiming this line as an international border, and was thereafter treated as it had been previously, as the de jure international border of Lebanon.
    • Israel withdrew its forces from 13 villages in Lebanese territory, which were occupied during the war.

In 1923, 38 boundary markers were placed along the 49-mile (78 km) boundary and a detailed text description was published.[31] The 2000 Blue Line differs in about a half dozen short stretches from the 1949 line, although never by more than 475 metres (1,558 ft).

Between 1950 and 1967, Israeli and Lebanese surveyors managed to complete 25 non-contiguous kilometers and mark (but not sign) another quarter of the international border.
    On June 16, the Secretary-General reported to the Security Council that Israel had withdrawn its forces from Lebanon in accordance with Council Resolution 425 and met the requirements defined in his report of May 22, 2000.[32] The withdrawal line has been termed the Blue Line in all official UN communications since.

Map of the Shebaa Farms

The Shebaa Farms conflict stems from Israel's occupation and annexation of the Golan Heights, with respect to that territory's border with Lebanon. Both Lebanon and Syria were within the French Mandate Territory between 1920 and the end of the French Mandate in 1946. The dispute over the sovereignty over the Shebaa Farms resulted in part from the failure of French Mandate administrations, and subsequently from the failure of the Lebanon and Syria to properly demarcate the border between them.
    Documents from the 1920s and 1930s indicate that some local inhabitants regarded themselves as part of Lebanon, for example paying taxes to the Lebanese government. But French officials at times expressed confusion as to the actual location of the border.[33] One French official in 1939 expressed the belief that the uncertainty was sure to cause trouble in the future.
    The region continued to be represented in the 1930s and 1940s as Syrian territory, under the French Mandate. Detailed maps showing the border were produced by the French in 1933, and again in 1945.[34] They clearly showed the region to be in Syria.
    After the French Mandate ended in 1946, the land was administered by Syria, and represented as such in all maps of the time.[35] The maps of the 1949 armistice agreement between Syria and Israel also designated the area as Syrian.
    Border disputes arose at times, however. Shebaa Farms was not unique; several other border villages had similar discrepancies of borders versus land ownership. Syria and Lebanon formed a joint Syrian–Lebanese border committee in the late 1950s to determine a proper border between the two nations. In 1964, concluding its work, the committee suggested to the two governments that the area be deemed the property of Lebanon, and recommended that the international border be reestablished consistent with its suggestion. However, neither Syria nor Lebanon adopted the committee's suggestion, and neither country took any action along the suggested lines. Thus, maps of the area continued to reflect the Farms as being in Syria.[35] Even maps of both the Syrian and Lebanese armies continued to demarcate the region within Syrian territory (see map).[35]
    A number of local residents regarded themselves as Lebanese, however. The Lebanese government showed little interest in their views. The Syrian government administered the region, and on the eve of the 1967 war, the region was under effective Syrian control.
    In 1967, most Shebaa Farms landowners and (Lebanese) farmers lived outside the Syrian-controlled region, across the Lebanon-Syrian border, in the Lebanese village of Shebaa. During the Six Day War in 1967, Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria, including the Shebaa Farms area. As a consequence, the Lebanese landowners were no longer able to farm it.[36]​

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Or perhaps the exact opposite and Lebanon has just tried to avoid more territory being seized by Israel.
    Let's ignore the fact they kept lobbing rockets over their border into Israel and acted all surprised when they then got invaded again. Certainly looks like they were trying their bests to be "peaceful" and not have more territory seized.

Almost like electing a terrorist group to run your country is a bad idea?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Let's ignore the fact they kept lobbing rockets over their border into Israel and acted all surprised when they then got invaded again. Certainly looks like they were trying their bests to be "peaceful" and not have more territory seized.

Almost like electing a terrorist group to run your country is a bad idea?
    I won't hijack this thread to discuss the Israel/Palestine conflict since the focus should be on the people of Lebanon right now and you can read about history and the industrial-military complex on your own.

I found out today a friend of mine's apartment was 9 blocks from the blast site - thankfully she was 2 miles away when the blast went off. She put a video up of her apartment on bookface today though, along with a lot of other photos around town. WRECKED. Very said for the Lebanese people - they deserve better.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Compilation video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXZ1...ature=youtu.be

The first video I think Michael Bay would of been proud.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Seeing the shockwave travel on water and through buildings and the clouds is insane. I can’t imagine how scary that would be to see in real life.

I saw one of those close ones in slow motion and it ripping through buildings is so scary.

That shockwave was wild to see

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Seeing the shockwave travel on water and through buildings and the clouds is insane. I can’t imagine how scary that would be to see in real life.

I saw one of those close ones in slow motion and it ripping through buildings is so scary.
    The fact that it rip the building from the ground up as it expands, I bet I lot of SFX people are learning from these footage.

My Ride
    4x4

So not that I'm one for conspiracy theories typically. Hope some of our Lebanese members can fill me in...

What's the likelihood the Lebanese government was the source of this explosion?

I mean in the past months reporters are starting to talk failed state. No money for utilities basic services etc. Government corruption scandals, the banking crisis, protests that stopped only due to covid.

They house arrested the port authority managers, who quickly covered their asses and released proof they'd been asking the government for direction on what to do with this. The government denied Israeli involvement within hours...

Follow the money... The money's going to the government who was on the verge of collapse.

My Ride
    V167

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 07:47 PM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I won't hijack this thread to discuss the Israel/Palestine conflict since the focus should be on the people of Lebanon right now and you can read about history and the industrial-military complex on your own.
    For whoever wants to get into leaving negative reps over the Israel / Palestine debate, I'd suggest you get a life.

Name:  Israel.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  19.3 KB

I've heard that it was a planned attacked from an unknown source but the source knew of an ammonia nitrate shipment on tanker that has been there for years. The Lebanese people were trying to get the govt to move it away due to its danger but they refused. Apparently someone couldn't pay the boating frees or something years ago and had to be parked there.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

For whoever wants to get into leaving negative reps over the Israel / Palestine debate, I'd suggest you get a life.

That's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I've heard that it was a planned attacked from an unknown source but the source knew of an ammonia nitrate shipment on tanker that has been there for years. The Lebanese people were trying to get the govt to move it away due to its danger but they refused. Apparently someone couldn't pay the boating frees or something years ago and had to be parked there.
    Just typical middle east things that blew up in their face.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

This anonymous rep thing is bullshit. We should be able to call out stupid fucks like this. LOL
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    4x4

Surprised I haven't gotten the same maybe it's too low to apply anymore

But then again the anti government protests are getting worse with parliment members resigning to dissociated themselves from the Mafia (their words not mine)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.alj...061240497.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast