Quantcast
Epic Games sues Apple. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Epic Games sues Apple.

Default Epic Games sues Apple.

https://www.engadget.com/fortnite-ma...195415590.html

Fortnite got removed from App store. Titanic data war has begun.

"Total Fortnite revenue for 2018 is estimated at $2.4 billion Epic Games valued at $15 billion in October 2018, up from $8 billion in July 2018 In March 2019, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney announced that the total number of Fortnite players had reached 250 million."
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.engadget.com/fortnite-ma...195415590.html

Fortnite got removed from App store. Titanic data war has begun.

"Total Fortnite revenue for 2018 is estimated at $2.4 billion Epic Games valued at $15 billion in October 2018, up from $8 billion in July 2018 In March 2019, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney announced that the total number of Fortnite players had reached 250 million."
    Fortnite is still relevant?

Never got into it personally, probably peaked 2019. Still, if Epic makes any other hits (very likely) they might not release on Apple.

https://www.cnet.com/news/fortnite-m...me-in-decline/

Its in decline sure, but still coming off a near $2 Billion year is nothing to sneeze at.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-13-2020 at 03:55 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's Tencent/Chinese retaliation against Apple/Google during antitrust hearing. Nothing more than that. Epic sold out. Pure and simple.

I dunno. Its like a farmer who produces all the food is Epic and then Google and Apple charge 30% to sell it in their markets. Thing is, the markets are digital and don't really cost more than 1% to keep running with servers and electricity.

This is a test really, to see if people will go back to the "old days" of going directly to the source https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/

This young generation doesn't know what they don't have to download from the "app store". It all used to be that way, there was no centralized source for downloads back in the days before Steam. It does require an extra level of trust between the individual developers and the consumer, as there is no third party to check for viruses, etc.

Maybe its a good thing. Is the entire idea of an App store unnecessary for all but 99 cent apps?

Makes me wonder if Steam takes 30%, and revenues of dozens of AAA titles make in the Billions and things like Flappy Bird merely hundreds of millions. How much bank are they actually making being a centralized download service that a programmer could have made in a week?

I mean Galen Weston didn't actually produce the wheat, he just sold the bread at markup to become a $10 Billionaire.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-15-2020 at 06:20 AM.

I can imagine that Trump may have had a heavy hand in banning access to Fortnite. Its a crazy time waster, but then again - you could argue that watching a football game is a crazy time waster.

If Excel and Word is bread, and Fortnite is a chocolate candy bon-bon - should not ALL markets be open to selling all items regardless of how healthy it is for the consumer?

Last edited by ZenOps; 08-15-2020 at 07:37 AM.

This particular story is very intriguing. Epic's execution of this plan is simply...Epic. It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

I found this article pretty informative. Makes it feel like real-life chess.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/14/2...games-payments

My Ride
    Ford F150

Hey email went through a big battle with them recently. Simply put, Apple wants their cut from all apps, but they aren't going after the big players like Netflix who take payments outside the app and deliver service in the app. Hey was able to argue that and get approval.

Epic went a step further by taking payments in app, but not via device payments, which is a clear violation.

I'm eager to see how this plays out.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.