Quantcast
Odd dealership ad wording - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd dealership ad wording

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Default Odd dealership ad wording

I keep seeing this odd wording in ads from dealerships, pertaining mostly to used cars:

“This vehicle may be leased or financed by anyone*, however, due to the recent increase in fraudulent vehicle purchase activity, Xxx dealership reserves the right to decline any form of payment, including but not limited to cash, bank draft, certified cheque, EFT, or credit card. .*on approved credit, see dealer for details.”

So what they seem to be implying is they won’t sell a vehicle outright they will only finance or lease it. I’m not sure if in practice they won’t sell outright but I can’t believe this is actually necessary due to fraud. I’ve only ever bought vehicles with bank drafts, unless it was financed, in which case the down payment has also always been made by bank draft.

Anybody have any recent experience with dealerships not willing to sell outright? How would you even buy without those financial instruments?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This Automaxx or house of cars? Dealerships like that make more money on financial services than vehicles. Like 3x or 4x as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This Automaxx or house of cars? Dealerships like that make more money on financial services than vehicles. Like 3x or 4x as much.
    No, one was a VW dealership in Edmonton, one was a Dodge dealership in Claresholm.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, maybe just talk to em? The legal fine print is horseshit anyway.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

I'm not super interested in anything they have right now but its something that turned me off. It doesn't look like they are putting their best foot forward to earn business and its easy enough to look elsewhere.

It is also interesting, to me, to see what dealers are trying to do to/with their customers.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve had dealers refuse to sell for a “cash” price before, usually name brand dealers not aftermarket.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I’ve had dealers refuse to sell for a “cash” price before, usually name brand dealers not aftermarket.
    Guess I'm no expert, have bought very few vehicles from dealerships. Just going on hearsay.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Guess I'm no expert, have bought very few vehicles from dealerships. Just going on hearsay.
    I think it’s usually a case of them wanting to maximize profits but also I once had a dealer flat out tell me I couldn’t afford to pay cash so to stop wasting their time which was insulting.

My Ride
    ute

I think it’s usually a case of them wanting to maximize profits but also I once had a dealer flat out tell me I couldn’t afford to pay cash so to stop wasting their time which was insulting.
    I get treated much differently depending on whether I am wearing "work" wear or "work from home" wear.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Unless it was Calgary BMW, where you could walk in wearing a suit made of money and still get treated like garbage
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Unless it was Calgary BMW, where you could walk in wearing a suit made of money and still get treated like garbage
    Yeah this is my experience as well.

Generally at most dealers the worst I dressed and the shittier vehicle I showed up in the better I was treated, it’s like they assume you’re more likely to make bad decisions and have no knowledge of the industry.

My Ride
    changes every year

Agreed. I boight my X5 in sweat pants. Its how I roll these days.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I mean I guess it means they are treating people equally lol

I remember they were so bad when I was enquiring about upgrading to an M2 that I walked next door and bought a C63 cash for less money than what they wanted for the M2’s lol

To be fair, I was dealing with a young guy last spring when I was looking at M5 and M850’s who was super upstanding and got me a number of test drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah this is my experience as well.

Generally at most dealers the worst I dressed and the shittier vehicle I showed up in the better I was treated, it’s like they assume you’re more likely to make bad decisions and have no knowledge of the industry.
    Yea I was driving my Jeep when I was shopping for an M5 last summer which raised a couple eyebrows haha. 0 fucks given.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

This has happened to me too and it is so frustrating... I have always though that they can get away with this because there are very few people that can pay in full.
    Last edited by Nakadah; 08-10-2020 at 09:43 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I mean I guess it means they are treating people equally lol

I remember they were so bad when I was enquiring about upgrading to an M2 that I walked next door and bought a C63 cash for less money than what they wanted for the M2’s lol

To be fair, I was dealing with a young guy last spring when I was looking at M5 and M850’s who was super upstanding and got me a number of test drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I was driving my Jeep when I was shopping for an M5 last summer which raised a couple eyebrows haha. 0 fucks given.
    I wound up buying a Lexus because the BMW in the Glenmore Auto Mall had "no one available" to show me a car and they "didn't take appointments".

My Ride

So it sounds like dealers are missing out on deals but I guess they don't care if they still sell all the cars they order. It's just another example of poor customer service. I would guess disallowing cash sales on used cars helps make up for the lost financing revenue on new cars when there is a significant cash sale discount.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Pretty much this.
    Not all..just to be clear on that. But some of the dealerships are just bad loan sharks. The car is just the instrument to get the person into the door.
    They prey on some of the most vulnerable people in society. There are some people who have no money, shitty credit or have found themselves in a difficult situation in life.
    They get into a vehicle with 20% interest or more. Its impossible for a person to get out of that. They default and the dealer gets and car back and the cycle repeats.
    In the past I have had clients stuck on this and I have tried to help them out, but the interest rate is so bad. I am disgusted how some of these financial contracts are even legal.

Right now on the car side I am seeing a there is a inventory issue and possibly a financial issue. People would be returning their cars and getting into another vehicle. This is not happening. Or they can't qualify for car payments. So instead they hold onto the cars. Dealerships have low inventory, plus hailstorm etc. There is a demand for used vehicles. Car prices go up.
    Im personally struggling to find anything decent right now.

Anybody have any recent experience with dealerships not willing to sell outright? How would you even buy without those financial instruments?
    On them former, not yet. but I will report back as I am seeing some cars this week. But the problem is, they are sold before I even pick up the phone.

On the latter part,... financial discipline. Buy with cash and non new. Ive been saving a little amount(not much) since I got my old vehicle in 2012.
    There is no set rule that you must have car payments. Car payments have a purpose depending on ones scenario of course. But I am seeing it is becoming some sort of perverse culture that people must have. Like a badge of honor. I don't know about anyone else on here. But my vehicles were always used. I am seeing people having new vehicles with payments. I don't get it.

I've never had a dealership refuse a cash sale, though most dealerships act like it's a privilege to do business with them while they pretend you don't have options.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    On the latter part,... financial discipline. Buy with cash and non new. Ive been saving a little amount(not much) since I got my old vehicle in 2012.
    There is no set rule that you must have car payments. Car payments have a purpose depending on ones scenario of course. But I am seeing it is becoming some sort of perverse culture that people must have. Like a badge of honor. I don't know about anyone else on here. But my vehicles were always used. I am seeing people having new vehicles with payments. I don't get it.
    I meant at a dealership that won't accept one of the listed instruments and when purchasing outright. The only other method I could think of is a wire transfer, which most people have never done, and carries risk (if the routing is very convoluted for some reason, money can and does go missing and can be almost impossible to trace, even with the legal requirements for any person processing a part of the transaction). I guess you could also do a cash deposit directly into their account at their bank, instead of handing over cash at the dealership location, but that is still a cash sale.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by 98brg2d View Post
    I meant at a dealership that won't accept one of the listed instruments and when purchasing outright. The only other method I could think of is a wire transfer, which most people have never done, and carries risk (if the routing is very convoluted for some reason, money can and does go missing and can be almost impossible to trace, even with the legal requirements for any person processing a part of the transaction). I guess you could also do a cash deposit directly into their account at their bank, instead of handing over cash at the dealership location, but that is still a cash sale.
    Ohh gocha..

I was just thinking about it from the other perspective.
    It got me thinking. I think its for a number of reasons. Mostly to protect themselves I guess as well. From a business perspective, cash costs more to process at the bank. Depending on the bank, they will charge you more for cash deposits. The there is the headache of chain of custody for handling such a large volume of cash.

I think its more to do with fraud and their right to refuse. I remember when I was running a family business here. You do get some shithead customers with dodgy credit cards, and cheques. When I worked at the bank the amount of crazy people that would try to pull fraud was insane. Even when your trained in identifying it. It still can be tough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast