Quantcast
Where can you buy music from now? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where can you buy music from now?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Put the program on your computer. Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.

I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place. If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be, you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.

It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want, it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.
    This week's edition of Primarily Accurate Advice Given In A Needlessly Condescending And Cunty Way has been brought to you by Misterman.

Customers rely on Misterman for much of their condescending advice needs. Please visit us on our website or Instagram for more details and future engagement opportunities.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No. Put the program on your computer. Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.

I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place. If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be, you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.

It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want, it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.
    The main issue is he doesn't want to change buying mp3's straight from a website. He doesn't want apps or anything because he doesn't like change. Which is weird because he just changed to buying on a website a year ago.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

No.
    Yes.

Put the program on your computer.
    Like I said, yes. The first thing is to install shit.

Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.
    Yeah that's what Google Play does, without the step of installing anything.

I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place.
    It doesn't seem like it. Google Play was easy. I'm not even sure I needed to create a password. I don't know how it could be any easier than going to the site, searching for whatever, buy it, download it, done. The things you've said only add to that process.

If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be,
    Like installing programs that shouldn't be necessary?

you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.
    Yeah it's the extra steps I'm trying to avoid.

It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want,
    You're wrong. The issue is that I want something exactly like the thing I already use.

it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.
    Here's another shocker for you, I don't know how anything that I've never used works. From your post I don't get the impression you know what Google Play is or how it works either.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The main issue is he doesn't want to change buying mp3's straight from a website. He doesn't want apps or anything because he doesn't like change. Which is weird because he just changed to buying on a website a year ago.
    I don't have any philosophical opposition to using an app. I just want to be able to hand someone money, they hand me the thing and that's the end of the transaction. Maybe I'm crazy but I have a real problem with doing things I don't need to do.

iTunes is probably the best place now, but I thought maybe instead of Google Play there was a Bing Play or Ask Jeeves Play that I didn't know about.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Try amazon.com and see if they still geofence purchases to the US only. That’s your only bet with a half decent selection. You’ll be paying a lot more for what you want tho than iTunes.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Amazon.com doesn't specifically say it's US only, but when I try to buy I get into a loop. In my cart I click buy, and then I get "We were unable to process your order with the current payment information. Please click 'Continue' to select a default payment method and 1-Click address." So click continue, and it puts me back into my cart to click buy again. I'm sure that when they say "current payment information" they mean my not-American credit card. An Amazon.com gift card might get me around that. I've never looked into how to get one of those in Canada.

I only ever got into Google Play because I was looking for two Satyricon albums that aren't currently available on CD, Volcano and Now, Diabolical. Google Play had Now Diabolical with the least amount of fucking around, so that's how I ended up there. The only place I found selling Volcano is Amazon. Even iTunes doesn't have that one.
    Last edited by SKR; 08-10-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    ute

Just pirate. Lol

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

ITT: old man yelling at cloud and other old people yelling at the old man.

My Ride

Also, I'm pretty disappointed "Ask Jeeves Play" isn't getting bigger laughs.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I normally buy my "CDs" from Japan …

This year, just order online...

My wife did set up Spotify / itune for me, so I can listen to the Japan BGM, but being an Asian guy born in the 70's … I still have no clue ..lol
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like AM radio is more SKR’s speed.

No app required.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Just pirate. Lol
    That needs an app.

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    Amazon.com doesn't specifically say it's US only, but when I try to buy I get into a loop. In my cart I click buy, and then I get "We were unable to process your order with the current payment information. Please click 'Continue' to select a default payment method and 1-Click address." So click continue, and it puts me back into my cart to click buy again. I'm sure that when they say "current payment information" they mean my not-American credit card. An Amazon.com gift card might get me around that. I've never looked into how to get one of those in Canada.
    So still geofenced. Good luck with the impossible haha.

Yes.

Like I said, yes. The first thing is to install shit.

Yeah that's what Google Play does, without the step of installing anything.

It doesn't seem like it. Google Play was easy. I'm not even sure I needed to create a password. I don't know how it could be any easier than going to the site, searching for whatever, buy it, download it, done. The things you've said only add to that process.

Like installing programs that shouldn't be necessary?

Yeah it's the extra steps I'm trying to avoid.

You're wrong. The issue is that I want something exactly like the thing I already use.

Here's another shocker for you, I don't know how anything that I've never used works. From your post I don't get the impression you know what Google Play is or how it works either.
    I have an Android phone now, switched from Apple, I have Google Play, it is shit by comparison to Itunes. I'm same as you(or maybe not as it's really hard to decipher what you want right now, you're kind of flopping back and forth), I don't want extra BS steps, and I want to own my music that I paid for on my personal property, not in some fucking cloud somewhere that it can disappear someday. Itunes accomplishes this.

I realize you don't want to install anything because it's an extra step. However it is a one time step and it is done, you don't have to go to some website and enter a password or worse yet your credit card and billing info every single time you want one song. It sounds like you would prefer being able to go to a store and purchase Mp3's like the way you would've purchased cumbersome CD's 15 years ago, which is ironic because driving to the mall and fighting crowds seems like a pretty major extra step in the purchase process by comparison.

If you are genuinely looking for the simplest way to purchase music and physically own it, then give itunes a whirl. If you're just venting to be angry about change and disguising it as a question, then vent away.

Good luck either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This week's edition of Primarily Accurate Advice Given In A Needlessly Condescending And Cunty Way has been brought to you by Misterman.

Customers rely on Misterman for much of their condescending advice needs. Please visit us on our website or Instagram for more details and future engagement opportunities.
    I like to continue the tone of the poster. It's my super power.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

One workaround. If you just buy an iPhone or a Mac then you don’t need to download the app. It comes pre installed

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    One workaround. If you just buy an iPhone or a Mac then you don’t need to download the app. It comes pre installed
    Might as well get him on Apple Music while we’re at it. Also pre installed!

My Ride

Everything I like goes away. That's the bigger problem. As soon as the universe sees that I'm starting to figure things out, it pulls the rug out from underneath me and then it's gone.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Everything I like goes away. That's the bigger problem. As soon as the universe sees that I'm starting to figure things out, it pulls the rug out from underneath me and then it's gone.
    Poor Muffin

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think that's probably a good reason to not attempt to "own" digital media at all. Embrace the ephemeral nature of the universe, pay for a streaming service that has offline listening, and stop worrying about making a long-term commitment to companies that aren't long-term businesses.

Continue to buy physical media too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Also, I'm pretty disappointed "Ask Jeeves Play" isn't getting bigger laughs.
    AskJeevesPlay was pretty funny. I was going to reply with #DogpilePlay or #MetaCrawlerPlay but I was too tired after shitting gold bricks on Misterman and digging up classic Evan Dando collab's.

My Ride
    Edge

I don't understand streaming or why the interest in it. I prefer to own my music and play whatever, whenever I want. CDs are great so I can rip to the quality and format I want. However, since CDs are produced less and less, I just stick to iTunes, as I can at least convert from aac to mp3, if for some reason I need to. From when I last looked into it years ago, aac is slightly better quality than the equivalent bit rate mp3 anyway. Other than that, Bandcamp offers indie stuff that can be downloaded in many different formats, including alac, flac, and wav.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast