Quantcast
Where can you buy music from now? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Where can you buy music from now?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Put the program on your computer. Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.

    I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place. If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be, you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.

    It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want, it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.
    This week's edition of Primarily Accurate Advice Given In A Needlessly Condescending And Cunty Way has been brought to you by Misterman.

    Customers rely on Misterman for much of their condescending advice needs. Please visit us on our website or Instagram for more details and future engagement opportunities.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,608
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Put the program on your computer. Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.

    I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place. If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be, you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.

    It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want, it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.
    The main issue is he doesn't want to change buying mp3's straight from a website. He doesn't want apps or anything because he doesn't like change. Which is weird because he just changed to buying on a website a year ago.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    Trucks and junk
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Put the program on your computer.
    Like I said, yes. The first thing is to install shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.
    Yeah that's what Google Play does, without the step of installing anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place.
    It doesn't seem like it. Google Play was easy. I'm not even sure I needed to create a password. I don't know how it could be any easier than going to the site, searching for whatever, buy it, download it, done. The things you've said only add to that process.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be,
    Like installing programs that shouldn't be necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.
    Yeah it's the extra steps I'm trying to avoid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want,
    You're wrong. The issue is that I want something exactly like the thing I already use.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.
    Here's another shocker for you, I don't know how anything that I've never used works. From your post I don't get the impression you know what Google Play is or how it works either.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    Trucks and junk
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The main issue is he doesn't want to change buying mp3's straight from a website. He doesn't want apps or anything because he doesn't like change. Which is weird because he just changed to buying on a website a year ago.
    I don't have any philosophical opposition to using an app. I just want to be able to hand someone money, they hand me the thing and that's the end of the transaction. Maybe I'm crazy but I have a real problem with doing things I don't need to do.

    iTunes is probably the best place now, but I thought maybe instead of Google Play there was a Bing Play or Ask Jeeves Play that I didn't know about.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,608
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Try amazon.com and see if they still geofence purchases to the US only. That’s your only bet with a half decent selection. You’ll be paying a lot more for what you want tho than iTunes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    Trucks and junk
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Amazon.com doesn't specifically say it's US only, but when I try to buy I get into a loop. In my cart I click buy, and then I get "We were unable to process your order with the current payment information. Please click 'Continue' to select a default payment method and 1-Click address." So click continue, and it puts me back into my cart to click buy again. I'm sure that when they say "current payment information" they mean my not-American credit card. An Amazon.com gift card might get me around that. I've never looked into how to get one of those in Canada.

    I only ever got into Google Play because I was looking for two Satyricon albums that aren't currently available on CD, Volcano and Now, Diabolical. Google Play had Now Diabolical with the least amount of fucking around, so that's how I ended up there. The only place I found selling Volcano is Amazon. Even iTunes doesn't have that one.
    Last edited by SKR; 08-10-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Just pirate. Lol

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,350
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ITT: old man yelling at cloud and other old people yelling at the old man.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    Trucks and junk
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    13

    Default



    Also, I'm pretty disappointed "Ask Jeeves Play" isn't getting bigger laughs.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965
    Posts
    3,155
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I normally buy my "CDs" from Japan …

    This year, just order online...

    My wife did set up Spotify / itune for me, so I can listen to the Japan BGM, but being an Asian guy born in the 70's … I still have no clue ..lol
    The Original !

    1234567, ¦h³̉¦h±o

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I feel like AM radio is more SKR’s speed.

    No app required.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,608
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just pirate. Lol
    That needs an app.

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amazon.com doesn't specifically say it's US only, but when I try to buy I get into a loop. In my cart I click buy, and then I get "We were unable to process your order with the current payment information. Please click 'Continue' to select a default payment method and 1-Click address." So click continue, and it puts me back into my cart to click buy again. I'm sure that when they say "current payment information" they mean my not-American credit card. An Amazon.com gift card might get me around that. I've never looked into how to get one of those in Canada.
    So still geofenced. Good luck with the impossible haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes.



    Like I said, yes. The first thing is to install shit.



    Yeah that's what Google Play does, without the step of installing anything.



    It doesn't seem like it. Google Play was easy. I'm not even sure I needed to create a password. I don't know how it could be any easier than going to the site, searching for whatever, buy it, download it, done. The things you've said only add to that process.



    Like installing programs that shouldn't be necessary?



    Yeah it's the extra steps I'm trying to avoid.



    You're wrong. The issue is that I want something exactly like the thing I already use.



    Here's another shocker for you, I don't know how anything that I've never used works. From your post I don't get the impression you know what Google Play is or how it works either.
    I have an Android phone now, switched from Apple, I have Google Play, it is shit by comparison to Itunes. I'm same as you(or maybe not as it's really hard to decipher what you want right now, you're kind of flopping back and forth), I don't want extra BS steps, and I want to own my music that I paid for on my personal property, not in some fucking cloud somewhere that it can disappear someday. Itunes accomplishes this.

    I realize you don't want to install anything because it's an extra step. However it is a one time step and it is done, you don't have to go to some website and enter a password or worse yet your credit card and billing info every single time you want one song. It sounds like you would prefer being able to go to a store and purchase Mp3's like the way you would've purchased cumbersome CD's 15 years ago, which is ironic because driving to the mall and fighting crowds seems like a pretty major extra step in the purchase process by comparison.

    If you are genuinely looking for the simplest way to purchase music and physically own it, then give itunes a whirl. If you're just venting to be angry about change and disguising it as a question, then vent away.

    Good luck either way.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This week's edition of Primarily Accurate Advice Given In A Needlessly Condescending And Cunty Way has been brought to you by Misterman.

    Customers rely on Misterman for much of their condescending advice needs. Please visit us on our website or Instagram for more details and future engagement opportunities.
    I like to continue the tone of the poster. It's my super power.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    One workaround. If you just buy an iPhone or a Mac then you don’t need to download the app. It comes pre installed
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,608
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One workaround. If you just buy an iPhone or a Mac then you don’t need to download the app. It comes pre installed
    Might as well get him on Apple Music while we’re at it. Also pre installed!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    My Ride
    Trucks and junk
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Everything I like goes away. That's the bigger problem. As soon as the universe sees that I'm starting to figure things out, it pulls the rug out from underneath me and then it's gone.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1991 GMC C1500 350
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everything I like goes away. That's the bigger problem. As soon as the universe sees that I'm starting to figure things out, it pulls the rug out from underneath me and then it's gone.
    Poor Muffin
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    7,718
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everything I like goes away. That's the bigger problem. As soon as the universe sees that I'm starting to figure things out, it pulls the rug out from underneath me and then it's gone.
    I think that's probably a good reason to not attempt to "own" digital media at all. Embrace the ephemeral nature of the universe, pay for a streaming service that has offline listening, and stop worrying about making a long-term commitment to companies that aren't long-term businesses.

    Continue to buy physical media too.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Also, I'm pretty disappointed "Ask Jeeves Play" isn't getting bigger laughs.
    AskJeevesPlay was pretty funny. I was going to reply with #DogpilePlay or #MetaCrawlerPlay but I was too tired after shitting gold bricks on Misterman and digging up classic Evan Dando collab's.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Something Swedish
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don't understand streaming or why the interest in it. I prefer to own my music and play whatever, whenever I want. CDs are great so I can rip to the quality and format I want. However, since CDs are produced less and less, I just stick to iTunes, as I can at least convert from aac to mp3, if for some reason I need to. From when I last looked into it years ago, aac is slightly better quality than the equivalent bit rate mp3 anyway. Other than that, Bandcamp offers indie stuff that can be downloaded in many different formats, including alac, flac, and wav.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If you don't have anything Apple, where do you buy music?

    By JRSC00LUDE in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 31
    Latest Threads: 03-28-2014, 11:03 PM
  2. VIDEO: $70,000 USD Cars You Can Now Buy For Half Price

    By CanmoreOrLess in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 02-04-2014, 10:54 PM
  3. Lexmark to Customers: We Tell You How You Can Use The Products You Buy From Us

    By A790 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 25
    Latest Threads: 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
  4. you've heard of chip fat as diesel fuel...now you can use fat from people!

    By googe in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
  5. Behind the Wheel - If You Can't See, You Can't Go!

    By skidmark in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •