Quantcast
Car prowlings - Thieves getting around locked doors? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Car prowlings - Thieves getting around locked doors?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Car prowlings - Thieves getting around locked doors?

Hey Beyond, just had a question regarding vehicle security lately.

A couple of nights ago, both my truck and Baygirl's car were gone through. Nothing was taken, they even left the $10 bill in my center console, but went through my glovebox, and even opened the rear hatch on Baygirl's car. We are both very diligent on locking our vehicle's doors, but, it now appears that these vehicle prowlers are able to get around locked doors? I am guessing they have some technology that can unlock vehicle doors, not sure if it is localized to just Ford vehicles, but, that is what experience I have so far. I have now taken to locking my glovebox and center console, but then that got me thinking, should I bother? Will they just rip those open causing more damage, or maybe we should just leave everything unlocked and let them go through the vehicles as they please...

Anyone else experiencing this with locked vehicles still being prowled? What security steps have you taken? Am I imagining this kind of technology?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Getting into a locked vehicle goes past prowling, no one is investing the thousands into a repeater setup to steal cigarettes and sunglasses. Those guys will take your vehicle, and tbh that’s what insurance is for no point detering any determines criminals.

You probably accidentally left the vehicle open. It happens.

Someone went through my truck a few months ago, made a fucking mess but took nothing.

I turned on the auto lock when I walk away feature on my truck, even that isn’t foolproof but it’s a bit of extra security. Locked glovebox is a good idea for anything important, another good move is keep your vehicles spotless, if there is nothing visibly around inside it doesn’t make for a prime target for prowling.

Garage is your best security but that doesn’t work for everyone.
    Last edited by killramos; 08-11-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I thought about that too, that I left it unlocked, but for both Baygirl and I to forget to lock both of our vehicles on the same night? that hardly seems plausible. I mean, I guess there is a chance, but it seems really small....
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    *The First*

Start storing your fobs father away from the doors/windows and in a metal box or ideally a Faraday Cage (whatever the fuck that really is).

My guess is it was pro's and something spooked them at the precise moment they were about to drive away with both your vehicles.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

They might also be stealing your registration / insurance so check that. Dude was busted on our street with 25 different peoples sets. Apparently it is a huge identity theft thing.
    Cos...

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

It could be also that you accidentally opened it. I have to many keys to start with and when I keep them in my pocket and bend over to pick something up or move, I somehow press the unlock button. On a few occasions, I also started the vehicle.

If you have kids, maybe they found your keys if you keep them in the same spot and started playing with them?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Happened to us last night.

We don't even bother thinking or dwelling on it... simply put it was absent mindness and nothing more can really be done but to ensure when you walk away the doors are locked.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Start storing your fobs father away from the doors/windows and in a metal box or ideally a Faraday Cage (whatever the fuck that really is).

My guess is it was pro's and something spooked them at the precise moment they were about to drive away with both your vehicles.
    As much as I like our vehicles, I highly doubt professional thieves are going to target a 2015 Ford Focus SE and a 2019 F150 Lariat...

I will take the advice of moving the keys further into the house though.

It just seems really weird that it happened to both vehicles...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I thought most vehicles auto lock when left open for a set length of time?

The chances of you both leaving your vehicles unlocked by mistake on the same day a prowler just happened came through are almost zero IMO. Something else is probably going on.

Super weird they left cash though, if you've already gone as far as to B&E, why wouldn't you take free money?

Leaving a modern vehicle unlocked is surprisingly difficult to do on most models these days.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The chances of you both leaving your vehicles unlocked by mistake on the same day a prowler just happened came through are almost zero IMO. Something else is probably going on.

Super weird they left cash though, if you've already gone as far as to B&E, why wouldn't you take free money?

Leaving a modern vehicle unlocked is surprisingly difficult to do on most models these days.
    Those are exactly my thoughts too, and hence the thread. If I thought it was just a simple prowling, I wouldn't have bothered.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Any chance your kids have been taking the cars? Haha

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    4x4

The repeater to jack the keyfob signal is about 20$ on AliExpress just FYI.

But last I checked both Spikers cars are slimjim vulnerable in seconds.

Cameras mate... Get cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Getting into a locked vehicle goes past prowling, no one is investing the thousands into a repeater setup to steal cigarettes and sunglasses. Those guys will take your vehicle, and tbh that’s what insurance is for no point detering any determines criminals.

You probably accidentally left the vehicle open. It happens.

Someone went through my truck a few months ago, made a fucking mess but took nothing.

I turned on the auto lock when I walk away feature on my truck, even that isn’t foolproof but it’s a bit of extra security. Locked glovebox is a good idea for anything important, another good move is keep your vehicles spotless, if there is nothing visibly around inside it doesn’t make for a prime target for prowling.

Garage is your best security but that doesn’t work for everyone.
    Auto-lock, cost me a side window yesterday when my wife was out - an improbable set of a variety of circumstances just happened to unluckily coincide for my wife. She was somewhere she hadn't planned to be doing something she hadn't planned to do and had a coincidental encounter with an absolute stranger that ultimately resulted in an injured cat being locked up in black SUV with all the windows closed - time was of the essence to get the vehicle open which poilce and fire won't do on a timely basis for an animal and thus, a broken side window.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

For everything else... there’s onstar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    The repeater to jack the keyfob signal is about 20$ on AliExpress just FYI.

But last I checked both Spikers cars are slimjim vulnerable in seconds.

Cameras mate... Get cameras.
    I have cameras. Made for some popcorn time the next morning 8 hours after the incident lol.

You need ridiculously good video quality to have an identifiable video, and even then unless it was your neighbour’s kid who you know what are you going to do with the video anyway.

fact.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Focus and F150 are both very common cars so thieves would know their way around and would just using a slim Jim on the doors. My guess is it's a pair of people, one opened the first vehicle and the second rummaged through it while the first person then breaks into the second / keeps an eye out. A minute tops and they're gone.

One thing to be careful about is make sure they didn't steal and garage door openers, spare keys, etc because then they might try to hit you again.

Does the tennis ball trick work on those? Pretty sure it works on a focus, idk about f150 though as trucks aren't my thing.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

More proof that it is way better to own a camel. Good on fuel and isn't easily stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Focus and F150 are both very common cars so thieves would know their way around and would just using a slim Jim on the doors. My guess is it's a pair of people, one opened the first vehicle and the second rummaged through it while the first person then breaks into the second / keeps an eye out. A minute tops and they're gone.

One thing to be careful about is make sure they didn't steal and garage door openers, spare keys, etc because then they might try to hit you again.

Does the tennis ball trick work on those? Pretty sure it works on a focus, idk about f150 though as trucks aren't my thing.
    Tennis ball is a myth - it's never worked on any car. But there was one of the ?dodge?ford? Low end cars you could literally bang the door and get the lock to pop. Aspire maybe? The CAA unlock manual referenced it...

My Ride
    Axis powers

Bump keys work on most fords don't they? Perhaps not a 2019 F150
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    POS

Prowlers are not the brightest thieves. My guess is you left them unlocked either forgotten or hit button in pocket, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I thought most vehicles auto lock when left open for a set length of time?
    Yes and aftermarket remote starters have this option as well and they also have option to disable auto lock which could be another reason the doors where unlocked. My command start requires two buttons pressed at the same time to activate/deactivate the auto lock and we've pressed it by accident a few times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast