Quantcast
Trudeau has to go? - Page 37 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 37 of 146 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Trudeau has to go?

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They could have simply not approved it. They could have done things to force companies to walk away before not approving it.
    They basically did do this with the help of the BC NDP.

Are all liberals like this? Utterly incapable of connecting anything together that isn't spoonfed to them?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I wonder why they didnt use a more accurate headline like

"Unclear if measures to target people who don't commit crimes will reduce crime"
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mun...bans-1.5916401
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You went to the CBC to read about gun legislation? That was your first mistake.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post

Do you mean because Trudeau pouted and told Biden that he's "disappointed" by the cancellation?
    He pouted? I must have missed that... I guess his drama teaching days paid off.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    He pouted? I must have missed that... I guess his drama teaching days paid off.
    Hmm good point, he likely had a shit eating grin while on the phone with Biden talking about KXL.

My Ride
    ute

The only reason they didn't have the election loss already is because of Conservative incompetence. The risk is already there. Liberals losing votes to the NDP, Bloc and Greens over their environmental policy, but the Conservatives just can't anger their base and become anti-O&G by supporting the carbon tax and steal all the red tories in southern Ontario who are pretty much only hanging on because of environmental policy (as per Lisa Raitt).

Their support of KXL isn't winning them any voters either, and keeps providing ammunition for the NDP and Greens to keep chiseling away at their left further. At some point it's going to give.

A big part of the pipeline game is the benefits are delayed. Support a pipeline now, lose votes, and the next party gets to see the economic benefits. If the Liberals can hold on again, maybe the pipeline gamble will pay off for them and it would convince them they're worth the continued support.
    What I was getting at was that despite Trudeau being an incompetent moron, the real fault for our disfunction lies at the feet of the electorate. I do not expect the electorate to change.

And yes, the Conservatives are incompetent.

They obfuscated the process for pipelines (EE, TMX and NG) so badly they basically forced themselves into having to buy TMX to prevent a complete meltdown in AB.
    The conditions put on Northern Gateway came from the previous Conservative government. Those are the conditions that weren't met. Similar conditions were put on for TMX (fewer, but it was already a built route). Since when is 'fulfill these conditions' considered obfuscating the process? Without them, there wasn't going to be the public support to get them built anyway.

They bought it because they wanted it built. It's as simple as that. If they didn't want it built, they didn't need to approve it.

Do you mean because Trudeau pouted and told Biden that he's "disappointed" by the cancellation?
    What do you think Canada was in a position to do? Get into a trade war we can't win with our largest trading partner?

Maybe take the super strong stance of "we won't take no for an answer" and reading a list of talking points to an ambassador that was so effective in getting Obama to approve it?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    What I was getting at was that despite Trudeau being an incompetent moron, the real fault for our disfunction lies at the feet of the electorate. I do not expect the electorate to change.
    The electorate has always been the weakest part of any democracy. To fault dysfunction is to fault democracy itself.

My Ride
    ute

The electorate has always been the weakest part of any democracy. To fault dysfunction is to fault democracy itself.
    No, the problem that Alberta et al, is the dysfunction of the rest of Canada's electorate as it relates to them.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

The conditions put on Northern Gateway came from the previous Conservative government. Those are the conditions that weren't met. Similar conditions were put on for TMX (fewer, but it was already a built route). Since when is 'fulfill these conditions' considered obfuscating the process? Without them, there wasn't going to be the public support to get them built anyway.
    For NG yes the initial conditions were put in place under the past government but are you forgetting that upon taking office in 2015 JT promised to impose the oil-tanker ban off of BC's North coast effectively killing the project, a year before he killed it for good? For TMX in 2016 the Libs forced the consideration of upstream GHG emissions in the assessment and forced them to "improve" FN consultations. As for EE you already admitted what the Libs did was "heavy handed" earlier.

Let's just agree to disagree as this is going nowhere, you think the Libs did well on the pipeline front I think what they did was a colossal fuck up.

What do you think Canada was in a position to do? Get into a trade war we can't win with our largest trading partner?

Maybe take the super strong stance of "we won't take no for an answer" and reading a list of talking points to an ambassador that was so effective in getting Obama to approve it?
    Surely you'd agree there's a spectrum here, with going home like a dog with its tail tucked between its legs on one end and a full blown trade war on the other end.

My Ride
    Z

Build more bike lanes as offsets?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Surely you'd agree there's a spectrum here, with going home like a dog with its tail tucked between its legs on one end and a full blown trade war on the other end.
    I'm curious what other options you think are on that spectrum. Serious question, i've been trying to think of what else could have REALISTICALLY been done, but nothing comes to mind without the risk of fucking up the relationship with our most important trading partner.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I'm curious what other options you think are on that spectrum. Serious question, i've been trying to think of what else could have REALISTICALLY been done, but nothing comes to mind without the risk of fucking up the relationship with our most important trading partner.
    Great question, I honestly don't know what our options are from a political/diplomatic perspective. Perhaps we could at least seek to recoup some of our financial losses? I thought I read that there were provisions under the old NAFTA that would allow us to do so

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

You mean like the Trudeau government did in 2018? Collecting $371M in tariffs on US goods retaliating on steel/aluminum tariffs from the US? Or the trade war they got into last summer with the US over the same issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    You mean like the Trudeau government did in 2018? Collecting $371M in tariffs on US goods retaliating on steel/aluminum tariffs from the US? Or the trade war they got into last summer with the US over the same issue?
    Except the US didn't put tariffs on us with this. What do you suggest we get into a trade war with? We put tariffs on something, they do the same, the economy takes a hit, consumers need to pay more, and the permit remains cancelled. You're basically suggesting everybody pay a 'feel good' tax to make it seem like something is being done. Not to mention Alberta exports more to the U.S. than it imports, so we'd take a bigger hit than the Americans in a trade war regardless.

The tit-for-tat response would be to cancel a future pipeline coming into Canada. So do you want us to do that?

Great question, I honestly don't know what our options are from a political/diplomatic perspective. Perhaps we could at least seek to recoup some of our financial losses? I thought I read that there were provisions under the old NAFTA that would allow us to do so
    Yeah it's a tough one. I'm hoping TC sues the US gov't and it somehow makes it up to the conservative SCOTUS and they rule that they have to reinstate the presidential permit. No idea how realistic that is though. But either way i think that should be led by TC and not the Canadian gov't as to avoid pissing them off.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Pretty sure reinstating the permit isn’t in the cards, the pipeline isn’t being built that’s done, civil damages however are possibly outcomes. Possibly.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Except the US didn't put tariffs on us with this. What do you suggest we get into a trade war with? We put tariffs on something, they do the same, the economy takes a hit, consumers need to pay more, and the permit remains cancelled. You're basically suggesting everybody pay a 'feel good' tax to make it seem like something is being done. Not to mention Alberta exports more to the U.S. than it imports, so we'd take a bigger hit than the Americans in a trade war regardless.

The tit-for-tat response would be to cancel a future pipeline coming into Canada. So do you want us to do that?
    In both situations they are taking money out of the pockets of Canadians. The response on that issue was swift and quite brutal and then also followed up with negoation. In that situation it wasn't just an expression of "disappointment" from Trudeau and a commitment to work on other issues. Long term infrastructure investments have a much broader impact on our economy as opposed to tariffs do which can be reversed very easily and nearly instantly. You cannot flip the switch and build that kind of infrastructure overnight.

There isn't a suggestion here that we impose tariffs but it's the concern over the change in level of responses from our government. An expression of disappointment and moving on to other issues with the president isn't even in the same league of response as when it came to the tariffs. There is no movement on negotiating our stance on this like we did with issues in the past administration, this is an acceptance. If it were seen as important they would have it out in the media that they are meeting with the Biden administration to negotiate our position on this. I agree with a past statement from you on this that it would damage their brand where they have that support right now, so even if they were doing that they would not publicize it.

The implication for me here is not if it is about a pipeline, it's the duplicity in which this government conducts itself. I think this will come to an interesting head if the US government pushes to shut down Line 5 and see the Liberal governments response to that considering the management of their brand. I think if they chose to not approve Line 3's replacement that would be a big issue in Wisconsin and Minnesota as it is here.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Wow, so trudeau confiscates firearms from law abiding citizens in the name of "public safety" , and then turns around and reduces penalties for the use of guns during crimes. You can't even make this shit up
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Wow, so trudeau confiscates firearms from law abiding citizens in the name of "public safety" , and then turns around and reduces penalties for the use of guns during crimes. You can't even make this shit up
    In his mind, the people who are actually committing gun crimes are "people with health problems, single mothers, young people who perhaps have made a couple of mistakes” and shouldn't actually have a negative consequence for committing the following crimes and holding them to account is systemic racism.

Use of firearm in commission of offence

Possession of restricted or prohibited weapon knowing possession is unauthorized

Possession of loaded handgun

Possession of weapon obtained through crime

Weapons trafficking

Unauthorized import/export of firearm

Illegal discharge of a firearm with intent

Robbery with firearm

Extortion with firearm

Meanwhile, my AR is now sooooo dangerous that it has to be banned and locked in a safe for eternity or surrendered for pennies on the dollar and destroyed.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 37 of 146 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast