Quantcast
will the construction of stoney impact the house values in valley ridge/crestmont - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: will the construction of stoney impact the house values in valley ridge/crestmont

My Ride
    Axis powers

That's a pedestrian bridge?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is anyone surprised?

It's a transportation and utilities corridor - the local residents never had a say in how it was going to be developed. You didn't know if it was going to be at your fenceline or 500' away. And you never have any input into how it's done...

That's how the realtor explained it when I looked, I don't get the entitlement of these people to try to dictate how the road is run. This isn't a democratic process - never was.
    Well, I don't think it's about people thinking they should have a say or having entitlement. It is rather that one should be able to have a reasonable expectation that the construction of such a road (or whatever) should respect homeowners by taking into account how close the road is to homes.

And that is the problem, imo. Politicians really don't care about or respect the people they are supposed to be looking out for. As long as it isn't in their backyards, they do whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    Well, I don't think it's about people thinking they should have a say or having entitlement. It is rather that one should be able to have a reasonable expectation that the construction of such a road (or whatever) should respect homeowners by taking into account how close the road is to homes.

And that is the problem, imo. Politicians really don't care about or respect the people they are supposed to be looking out for. As long as it isn't in their backyards, they do whatever they want.
    The government is actually doing exactly what they should be - looking out for the greater good of society (city/province/country). Pandering to the interests of a small group (that has no case to stand on in the first place) is what governments should not be doing under any circumstances. This basic seems to be lost on people & politicians these days...

Everyone hates a NIMBY until the become one... It sucks, but such is the price of progress in an urban environment, and sometimes a rural one.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    The government is actually doing exactly what they should be - looking out for the greater good of society (city/province/country). Pandering to the interests of a small group (that has no case to stand on in the first place) is what governments should not be doing under any circumstances. This basic seems to be lost on people & politicians these days...
    +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

You don't think that notice that you're buying next to a transportation and utility corridor and you have no say on how it's used or developed is adequate?

Just like all the oarkridge/woodbine people thinking that since they went to the open house and complained that the design would change. It was always window dressing - the government wasn't required to ask for input or accept changes.

This is why we have transportation and utility corridors and realtors make sure you understand ... This is what will happen.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    Governments generally do what they want to do, regardless of whether or not it is for the greater good of society, even pandering to the large and powerful groups. It's all about money and it happens at all levels of government.

In the case of the RR by Woodbine, one really cannot comment against what I have said unless they have actually seen the issue. I don't know if the case is the same up by VR--that is, are the opposing lanes 300 ft apart for no apparent reason? It's hard to argue that that is done for the greater good of society.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't think that notice that you're buying next to a transportation and utility corridor and you have no say on how it's used or developed is adequate?

Just like all the oarkridge/woodbine people thinking that since they went to the open house and complained that the design would change. It was always window dressing - the government wasn't required to ask for input or accept changes.

This is why we have transportation and utility corridors and realtors make sure you understand ... This is what will happen.
    It would be helpful if you read what I actually wrote.

My Ride
    ute

How many bikes can you fit on that bitch?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    not enough. Next one will be larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Buys house next to obviously undersized main highway. Gets pissy when highway is upgraded.

These people were stupid enough to buy homes next to an existing highway in the first place, not exactly a group of rocket scientists.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Nenshi 101, why haven't people caught on to this yet. Public consultations from the city is just them letting you know what is going to be done. It's not a 2 way conversation in the slightest

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Forgot I took these a week or so ago. Some idea of width and proximity to homes:

Name:  IMG_5654b.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  69.4 KB

About half the spacing between the opposing lanes:

Name:  IMG_5655b.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  59.9 KB

The horror.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    With that artwork on the concrete, easily million dollar view. The city should adjust the property tax on that bad boy.

My Ride
    4x4

It would be helpful if you read what I actually wrote.
    Not really, the government was nice enough to 50+ years ahead lay out it's transportation corridors to the public and ensure if you buy in those areas you're warned that it will be developed. Everyone from developers to home buyers get told there will be a road there. At no point we're they promised that they could influence the design or construction of that road.

So it's completely entitled behaviour to believe the government should have to respect your boundaries - you should have built planning on a roadway being installed right up to the edge of your property... Should have started growing some big ass trees decades ago if you wanted privacy.

My Ride
    Edge

Not really, the government was nice enough to 50+ years ahead lay out it's transportation corridors to the public and ensure if you buy in those areas you're warned that it will be developed. Everyone from developers to home buyers get told there will be a road there. At no point we're they promised that they could influence the design or construction of that road.
    Let's be clear. Not once have I argued that people should have had input on the design, much less that they were promised they could influence it. Everyone knew it was a transportation corridor but that isn't the point. I am arguing that if the design changed and unnecessarily pushed the road 150ft closer to homes, then the government is responsible for any lost value in the homes, especially for those who bought based on the design they were shown.

So it's completely entitled behaviour to believe the government should have to respect your boundaries - you should have built planning on a roadway being installed right up to the edge of your property... Should have started growing some big ass trees decades ago if you wanted privacy.
    Civilized governments ought to respect people's property and the inherent value in them or be willing to compensate. Of course, they're all becoming more dictatorial by the day. No one should reasonably expect that a 110km/h roadway is going to be 30-40ft from their property, especially when a soccer pitch could be built in between the opposing lanes.

My Ride
    4x4

Let's be clear. Not once have I argued that people should have had input on the design, much less that they were promised they could influence it. Everyone knew it was a transportation corridor but that isn't the point. I am arguing that if the design changed and unnecessarily pushed the road 150ft closer to homes, then the government is responsible for any lost value in the homes, especially for those who bought based on the design they were shown.

Civilized governments ought to respect people's property and the inherent value in them or be willing to compensate. Of course, they're all becoming more dictatorial by the day. No one should reasonably expect that a 110km/h roadway is going to be 30-40ft from their property, especially when a soccer pitch could be built in between the opposing lanes.
    When I talked with a realtor - he made it clear, the TUC ran right up to the edge of my property, and it was worded that I could loose property as well if it was required for the project, and one wouldn't be compensated at fair market rate if that happened.

Anyone who bought expecting anything but a roadway encroaching on their property line wasn't paying attention.

You signed up for it when you bought the house - there was no guarantee they weren't putting a 16 lane 401 behind your house because 50 years ago they weren't sure what the need would be.

0 sympathy. This is why realtors were so very clear in any discussions what backing into a corridor meant.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

How do property values change if the highway is 5m or 11m from a residence back fence? How about, at grade vs 3m higher? If the pedestrian bridge was single lane vs 4 lane?

In my mind, the differentials are irrelevant, as I wouldn't want to live next to a transportation or utility corridor regardless.
    I like neat cars.

Good luck with that. Governments are almost totally immune from virtually all bad decisions they make. They're having fun destroying the economy, something as trivial as ambiguous road design isn't even on the radar of things they give a shit about.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Governments generally do what they want to do, regardless of whether or not it is for the greater good of society, even pandering to the large and powerful groups. It's all about money and it happens at all levels of government.

For example, pipelines.....
    I like neat cars.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast