Quantcast
Finding old matching hardwood? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Finding old matching hardwood?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Finding old matching hardwood?

Trying to fix some misfitting hardwood before I reattach new baseboards, wondering if people have any ideas on where I could either browse around to find something reasonably matching boards or who could help me find some?

I really only need a few boards to cut some blanks out of or replace so somewhere comfortable selling me a small amount would be ideal.

Hardwood is fairly old, at least 20-30 years old as far as I know from previous owner Reno history.

Name:  C56A7B31-BE2A-4AD1-98C2-DCE16B79BAB2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  30.7 KB

Maybe someone smarter than me can identify from a photo. Pine? Lots of variety in color and grain so it really shouldn’t be hard to find a reasonable match (in most cases it will be 1/4 max showing from the new boards).
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Looks like too much grain for pine. Maple? We had some water damage to the same size and style of flooring and the guy we called could easily match the wood (although the entire floor would need to be refinished).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Definitely not refinishing the floors, at least not right now.

Basically the floors are cut far enough away from the walls such as to need either crazy thick baseboards, or require shoes/quarter rounds. But it’s only is a few key spots where they are cut too short to be visible. My goal was to glue some blanks in where irs really bad, and they just need to be close enough color to not be immediately obvious.

Example of what the last DIY reno moron did that looks stupid that I wasn’t to fix. Beyond the boards and painting job being terrible lol.

Name:  B18B7965-042D-401A-AAF5-89C6AC027AC4.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  28.0 KB

For the style I am going for (as well as incremental cost and effort) I would prefer avoiding adding quarter rounds.
    Last edited by killramos; 08-29-2020 at 10:08 AM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Def not Maple, looks like a White oak. The narrow boards are going to be tricky to get but try TRC. Finding the wood is not even half the battle though, the hard part will be getting the new boards in, you have a site finished floor and you'll be getting raw hardwood which will need to be sanded down after its installed. The tricky part will be trying to get that repaired area blended in which depending on your OCD level could be pretty hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Def not Maple, looks like a White oak. The narrow boards are going to be tricky to get but try TRC. Finding the wood is not even half the battle though, the hard part will be getting the new boards in, you have a site finished floor and you'll be getting raw hardwood which will need to be sanded down after its installed. The tricky part will be trying to get that repaired area blended in which depending on your OCD level could be pretty hard.
    I recently installed a kitchen in a Cambrian Heights renovation - the home had the narrow white oak and had had someone come in and replace various boards throughout. No damage to the existing boards and I couldn't even see how the new ones were secured in place. No squeaks or movement that I could detect but as Rocket1k78 said, the new boards were considerably taller than the existing boards but whomever did the work sanded them all done so they looked the same. Quite something because it sure as hell didn't look like it would be an easy job to me - renovation company was Envision Custom Renovations although they may very well have subbed the flooring work out. Couldn't hurt to call them and ask some questions though.

My Ride
    '21 BMW X5 X40i mSport

Check out Tim's Reusables, I've donated old hardwood there before.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Exactly this. Oak was quite common back then too.
    Ultracrepidarian

Definitely oak...

How much do you need? I have so much unfinished oak flooring the previous owner had hoarded in a bunch of different widths and lengths that I use it for firewood! I can see if I have something that might work for you.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Thanks bob!

I don’t need much. I’ll let you know where I get to here.

For the room I’m currently working on I ended up grabbing a handful of hardwood samples from HD on the weekend, cut them to 1.5” width and glued them in place. Once I set the baseboard in they were indistinguishable and considering these pieces went in the back of the closet that was an easy choice.

I might get to doing some updates on my living room in the next couple months, where it might matter more to have the real thing. I probably need 12-20” of board total ( I made 6” sample fix 6 gaps on the weekend).

fact.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Or install a small bull nose at the bottom of the baseboard to cover the gap.
    I like neat cars.

#blackoakmatters

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Or install a small bull nose at the bottom of the baseboard to cover the gap.
    Totally an option, and I’m pretty sure that’s what was done 2 sets of baseboards ago. It’s just not really the look I am going for as mentioned.

fact.