Quantcast
Radon mitigation - who did you use? cost? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Radon mitigation - who did you use? cost?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Believe its the drain in the laundry room on the top floor.
    @nagooro . Why wouldn't a drain drain into a drain? And why would you need a webcam on it? Is that camera linked to the other beyond member's penis cam? This is some top secret fetish shit you have going on there.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

I'm curious where your homes are located (communities) to have these elevated levels of radon. Anyone know if the concentration of radon has been "mapped" by community?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMAN View Post
    I'm curious where your homes are located (communities) to have these elevated levels of radon. Anyone know if the concentration of radon has been "mapped" by community?
    I think there are general areas with higher levels, but they can different radically from one lot to the next. You could have a level of 1000 and both your neighbours could be close to zero.

My Ride
    06 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I think there are general areas with higher levels, but they can different radically from one lot to the next. You could have a level of 1000 and both your neighbours could be close to zero.
    Our exact situation. Moved into a new house, which tested at 1200+. Running the furnace fan 24/7 knocked it down closer to 600. Our immediate neighbours were freaked out, but only measured around 100. We've loaned out the tester to a ton of friends all over the city, some new homes, some very old homes, nobody else has tested at unacceptable levels.

We used Radon West for the remediation, and the all-in pricing was nice for us, as the work involved was extensive. Our likely biggest issue is that we had 2x furnaces that were "hung" during construction to expedite curing of the foundation (I believe) and as a result there were giant holes below each of them that were filled in. We now measure between 10 and 30.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMAN View Post
    This is the best map I've seen so far:
    https://radonmap.com/

That said, it varies HIGHLY by house and no map is useful on a small scale. We had extremely high radon levels, while the guys across the street from us were only ~100Bq/m^3. We loaned our tester to one neighbour beside us who is also testing very high but they could just as easily have been like the guys across the street.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    dad van

I wouldn't be shocked if some of the change house to house on the same street comes down to builder. I've pumped concrete for some of the bulk builders and some of the crews gave no fucks in shredding the poly under the concrete that is intended to help with radon. Wrong crew on the wrong day and your levels are much higher then your neighbour. This was a few years ago now but unless they are doing inspections just before they pour the slabs it's likely still an issue.

My Ride
    Trucks

I’m not surprised Cochrane averages high. The town is basically a giant gravel pit from being on the Southern edge of the glacier during the last ice age. All tillage, probably a buildup of radioactive sediment.

Quote Originally Posted by tenth View Post
    Our exact situation. Moved into a new house, which tested at 1200+. Running the furnace fan 24/7 knocked it down closer to 600. Our immediate neighbours were freaked out, but only measured around 100. We've loaned out the tester to a ton of friends all over the city, some new homes, some very old homes, nobody else has tested at unacceptable levels.

We used Radon West for the remediation, and the all-in pricing was nice for us, as the work involved was extensive. Our likely biggest issue is that we had 2x furnaces that were "hung" during construction to expedite curing of the foundation (I believe) and as a result there were giant holes below each of them that were filled in. We now measure between 10 and 30.
    How much did they charge you?

My Ride
    FB6

Name:  Radon Chart.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  16.1 KB

I just DIY'd it on Friday night and it's dropped from almost 600 bq/m3 to 21 bq/m3 by this morning (Airthings Wave does trailing 24 hr averages each hour). I had the exterior rough-in on my house like @nagooro so it only cost me ~$400 in parts and tools. I got the fan and other radon specific bits from Radon West and the pipe and couplings from Canadian Tire. I bought a PVC hand saw too, it would have been easier if I had a reciprocating saw, but I managed with hand tools.

My Ride

Nice work!

My Ride
    FB6

Also, for everyone looking to DIY. Most radon pipe sizing is for nominal 4" schedule 40 PVC with a OD of 4.5" as that's the US code. Canada allows sewer pipe which is way cheaper and thinner wall with an OD of ~4.25" so most builder rough-ins are probably 4" sewer pipe. Luckily sewer pipe couplings have an OD of 4.5", so I had to add couplings anywhere that was 4.5" OD to make it fit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What's an acceptable level of Radon? I got the Airthings unit and after a week I'm averaging basically 200 so far. The app says anything over 100 is bad, Canada says 200 is bad, and US has a whole bunch of other guidelines. Also, is it a bitch to mitigate in a finished basement?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, "proper" mitigation is stuff installed under the slab, and stuff to seal the slob, so year it's a big deal in a finished basement. half-assed mitigation is air exchange/exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

If the base is porous enough, one hole will be enough.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    What's an acceptable level of Radon? I got the Airthings unit and after a week I'm averaging basically 200 so far. The app says anything over 100 is bad, Canada says 200 is bad, and US has a whole bunch of other guidelines. Also, is it a bitch to mitigate in a finished basement?
    I would just go with the guidelines, Canada says 200 bq/m3 and US says 4 pCi/L which is 148 bq/m3.

From what I've seen on youtube, if you have a gravel base under the concrete, a hole in the slab is usually sufficient with a radon fan to suck air out. Sealing around the basement helps of course, but the fan itself should do most of the work especially if you're only around 200 bq/m3.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you have a sump pump, I think you can work with that hole, and use the weeping tile as your under-slab collection system, then you just seal the top of that hole, and plumb the fan into that, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you have a sump pump, I think you can work with that hole, and use the weeping tile as your under-slab collection system, then you just seal the top of that hole, and plumb the fan into that, right?
    Yeah, that's an option, you basically seal the sump lid and have a pipe that comes through the lid to the fan to exhaust outside.

My Ride

I am pretty sure you aren't supposed to use the sump pump hole. 2 in the stink is a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Canada says under 200 Bq/m3, USA says under 150, WHO says under 100. For every 100 bq/m3 your risk apparently goes up around 16%. Above 300 is where you should look into mitigation ASAP. Being a cumulative hazard, the lower the better obviously.

I have Radon West coming today to do the mitigation. Currently sitting at ~400 average. Will update my post with how it goes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast