Quantcast
Do you regularly switch ISP's? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you regularly switch ISP's?

Default Do you regularly switch ISP's?

It has become quite apparent in these forums that some people regularly switch ISP's while others don't. Now I do understand that a good number of the switchers are chasing the deal but it sure does sound like quite a number of them experience a lot of grief in doing so.

So if you are a switcher, are you putting the monies you've saved to good use in investments or doesn't just go to a few expensive coffees every month? We are not switchers, partly because of my TELUS employee discount, but also because the service we've received from TELUS over the past 24 years we've had internet in out current home has been exemplary.

So if a switcher, is it purely because of the money or because of the quality of the product provided or the customer service experience or a combination of thereof? I am genuinely curious as to what switches are chasing - we would still stay with TELUS even if we weren't getting the employee discount, their service has been that good and the monies saved going elsewhere just doesn't sound like it would be worth the grief that others have described/encountered in multiple threads when switching ISP providers or even threatening to switch.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

I don't. When I was downtown Telus was amazing, fast speeds, no downtime, always flexible on pricing if I called in and said i'd cancel TV or something. I'd stay with Telus forever as I always had great luck with service as well.

Moved to an area where Telus only has copper service.... my download speeds are 2 MBPS. Shaw has 0 flexibility on pricing so instead of paying them 150 for decent internet and TV im giving Teksavvy a chance and getting the sportsnet package on my xbox / apple tv. Should come to around $85 a month

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Nope. I have always had good luck talking with Shaw and getting what I feel is a good value for my internet.

My Ride
    Silverado

Telus maxes out at 25 mbps in my neighborhood so I couldn't switch even if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. I have always had good luck talking with Shaw and getting what I feel is a good value for my internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Telus maxes out at 25 mbps in my neighborhood so I couldn't switch even if I wanted to.
    These reasons are why I’m with Shaw currently.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Go away from Telus and Shaw so you don't have to partake in the promo pricing bullshit.

I've been with Lightspeed for years now and never have to call or change plans. Signed up for 49.95$ for 300mbit / no caps and it's never changed since that's just the normal rate.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

No, though I pretend I'm going to every few years to get better value out of Shaw. If Telus had fibre in my neighborhood, I might actually switch.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Been with Shaw forever. Very easy to get retention deals through Shaw chat.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I use both - failover internet - through teksavvy.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I was with Shaw for 6 years before switching to Telus this year.

My Ride
    POS

No, I'd rather good consistent speeds over saving a few dollars. Telus has always been better in the houses I've lived in, but with that said, we were on telus 75 but switched to shaw 300 because I thought it was going to be a lot better but nope, it's shit and slow compared to Telus 75 so we will be switching back as soon as this contract is up. And of course neither have fiber in our area

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I went from 750 in Aspen to 75 in Edgemont. Moving to University Heights when our Reno is done and will likely stick with TELUS even though there is no fibre there.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Go away from Telus and Shaw so you don't have to partake in the promo pricing bullshit.
    I've been with Lightspeed for years now and never have to call or change plans. Signed up for 49.95$ for 300mbit / no caps and it's never changed since that's just the normal rate.
    In the process of switching over to Lightspeed.
    What modem do you have? https://lightspeed.ca/cable-modem-prices/
    So tired of Shaw jacking rates YoY.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    In the process of switching over to Lightspeed.
    What modem do you have? https://lightspeed.ca/cable-modem-prices/
    So tired of Shaw jacking rates YoY.
    I have the TC4400, seems to work well. My service is as reliable as Shaw's was (which means every couple months there's a minor outage or I have to reboot my router/modem). Idk if it's just my node but it's always been like that.

I originally signed up for 600/25 when they offered it but would barely get 4-450 at times so downgraded to 300/20 and its been fairly solid over my wifi.

Last edited by pheoxs; 09-02-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Awesome. Thanks, I'll sign up and pray it's reliable for me.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I never really chased a deal, not worth the hassle, but I have brought up competing offers to get better deals myself. Been with Shaw/Telus/Shaw for a while, but eventually got tired of having to reset my modem every few days and switched to Telus, first on DSL for a few years, and last 7 or 8 on Fiber, never going back. Never touch the modem, and it always works.

Switched to Lightspeed. Kept Shaw account going during the process. Modem mailed to house, plugged it in last night. Woke up, it's all switched over. No issues like how everyone complains online.
    Payout is 6 months for the same speed from Shaw.
    $236 savings in first year.

If you have a wireless modem already or a wireless router that can run off the cheaper supplied modem, it's a no brainer.

Switched because I'm tired of calling Shaw and threatening to leave like I'm at a Mexican resort bartering for a fake watch.
    Switched because I don't use/need 300Mbs downloads, I don't stream 8k movies and I don't game. Citrix works, regular Netflix works and video conferences work.

Upgraded to Cable 250 from Cable 150.
    Same price as before with lightspeed. $60.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I do switch, as I'm thrifty. But I'll stay loyal if the internet is ok and the company is willing to give me their promotional rate. As such, I've been with Shaw since building our house 6 years ago. They really are decent when it comes to retaining business. Telus, not quite so much.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Wish I could if Telus had more than stone age internet in my area but they don't... so I'm stuck with Shaw.

Did TekSavvy during covid to try and save cash, but then their issue response / resolving took weeks not days, so I cancelled that ASAP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast