Quantcast
Battery Chargers - Technical discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Chargers - Technical discussion

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Battery Chargers - Technical discussion

I don't know if it's a good thing that I'm the kind of guy who owns several battery chargers, maybe it is because I'm also the kind of guy who uses a lot of battery chargers. Between cheap beater vehicles parked in unheated spaces and rarely driven, my summer camping trailer with two huge deep cycle batteries and just my nature to overthink things, I spend a lot of time thinking about battery chargers.

I actually have two vehicles hooked up to battery chargers right now because both of them have shitty batteries and I don't feel like buying new ones.

From my research, it seems like the CTEK and NOCO chargers are the "best" as they each have 8 separate stages they can go through. I don't own either of these brands (yet).
    Name:  CTEKChargeModes.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  93.9 KB

One I have is the Battery Tender Jr (750 mA model) which has a 5-step process. I like this one for my big trailer batteries because it doesn't "time out" like my Motomaster one, and it'll be fine when left hooked up for weeks or months in the winter.
    Name:  C-Lead_Acid_5_Step_Charging.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  100.0 KB

I also have this Motomaster "nautilus" 2/10/15A one, which has a higher amperage capability, handy for getting batteries back to reasonable charge in a shorter amount of time:
    Name:  C-Nautilus charger.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  28.6 KB
    This one doesn't specify how many steps in the process, but I suspect it's at least 4. My main gripe is that it throws an error code when left hooked up for long periods. I think that's because it doesn't get the batteries up to a "high enough" voltage, and it thinks something is wrong. I don't know what voltage it's aiming for, as it displays 90% charge, and has greatly reduced the amperage (usually to 1 or less) when the display shows 14.8V, but if left connected, it stops charging eventually and gives and error.

I suppose the converter in my trailer also counts as a battery charger, as it does charge the trailer batteries when it's hooked up to shore power or a generator. I have been reading a lot on the trailer forums and it seems to be a popular modification to swap out the converter to a "better" one that takes better care of the batteries. I've also looked into the various solar charge controllers that are available for RV application, seems to be a similar type of charge logic in the "best" solar controllers too.

So am I the only person who lays awake at night thinking about the best charging strategy for all my batteries? What do you use, and what do you think the "best" battery chargers are?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Tl: dr

But I do have the ctek if you want to borrow or see how it works? Has worked great. Also pretty well every oem charger is a rebranded ctek (mb, bmw for sure). I figure that is a pretty good endorsement.

When I find some time I would like to hardwire a ctek hookup to the c63. With how expensive AGM batteries are a good tender seems like cheap insurance to maximize battery life. Bonus points for more reliable starting.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-10-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I have one of these, it works for what i need

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...1518p.html#srp
    Sig nuked by mod.

I have a CTEK 7002 (they used to be cheap at Princess Auto) and a Noco 3500 (?). Both have been great to use, but I don't use my CTEK as much anymore because I have a bunch of those "comfort connects" for the NOCO so it is fast and easy to hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    I have a CTEK 7002 (they used to be cheap at Princess Auto) and a Noco 3500 (?). Both have been great to use, but I don't use my CTEK as much anymore because I have a bunch of those "comfort connects" for the NOCO so it is fast and easy to hook up.
    17 stages ftw!

Just get a float.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yea Im the same way - very anal about batteries and their maintenance. Having owned 3 bikes, I learned a lot about the effects of a proper initial charge, avoiding deep cycles on regular batteries and proper maintenance. I also own a CTEK unit, along with a CTIRE fast charger.

My Ride
    This and that.

Great thread. I actually discovered the other day that my motorbike battery is dead/weak (at least I think as it now won’t start). Since I have to move it on Tuesday from my parkade for parkade cleaning and I rather not push it up 3 underground floors, I am thinking of buying a trickle charger at Canadian tire. Can any recommend one of these two; I will be removing the battery and bringing it in for charging:

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/p...tedSku=0111926

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/p...tedSku=0111506

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Only recommendation is get a ctek...

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

That’s a lot of hoohaa for sub 5amp charging.

Lead acid batteries, can take a ton of charging abuse, AGMs require a little longer tip off times because it’s not a gel electrolyte.
    Li-ion require a higher than normal charge voltage.
    The only battery that these multi stage style of chargers would benefit are li-po batteries, but if your car has a factory installed lipo, then it’s on board charging system is pretty sophisticated, and the best method to keep the batter charged.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I also have a CTEK, no issues in the past couple years.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I have 2 NOCO 3500's and been really happy with both

My family owns 4 Ctek's. They're great. Converted a few friends to them after their Motormaster junk left them with a frozen battery in the winter.
    I had only one issue with my Ctek. It needs to sense some sort of current to run it's program. Battery was 100% dead and it didn't want to charge it. Had to run an old standard charger on trickle mode. Got some current and put on the Ctek. Needless to say, the battery lasted that one last charge so I don't blame the Ctek.

I both use and sell Ctek products. I have nothing bad to say about them! They work awesome

Going to be getting some of these in!

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...martcharge-pro

Interested about learning more about a good battery charger. I have one of those typical Canadian tire chargers right now, seems to be doing a decent job? Perhaps I am missing something.

I also have the battery tender trickle charger I use when storaging a battery, that seems to be pretty good with the various stages and discharging and the recharging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Interested about learning more about a good battery charger. I have one of those typical Canadian tire chargers right now, seems to be doing a decent job? Perhaps I am missing something.

I also have the battery tender trickle charger I use when storaging a battery, that seems to be pretty good with the various stages and discharging and the recharging.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickDaTuner View Post

Lead acid batteries, can take a ton of charging abuse, AGMs require a little longer tip off times because it’s not a gel electrolyte.
    The only battery that these multi stage style of chargers would benefit are li-po batteries, but if your car has a factory installed lipo, then it’s on board charging system is pretty sophisticated, and the best method to keep the batter charged.
    I halfway agree with Rick here. For occasional use, almost any kind of "smart" charger will do fine. For once a year storage, the battery tender style is probably the best bet, and very inexpensive.

However, if you drive beaters (like I do) and those vehicles often have weak or old batteries, you end up using battery chargers a lot. More advanced chargers that can sense temperatures, or those that will attempt to recondition a battery, have benefits in these situations.

I'm basically sold on getting one of the CTEK ones. It'll happen. But enjoying the conversation on the topic.

Still not sure if the CTEK has any benefit for my two huge 6V trailer batteries. The motomaster one I have always seems to freak out eventually because it can't "sense" those batteries getting past 90% charge. Although It is actually getting the batteries to what I'd consider a "full" charge at 14.7V.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-15-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Why wouldn't anyone not have a good battery in any type of vehicle? Regardless of any of the vehicles I've owned, a very good battery has always been a priority for me - really, a good battery is very cheap insurance to have a vehicle that will start in adverse conditions.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Word. Even on a $500 beater, if the battery was at all suspect, my first stop was usually crappy tire to drop $100-$150 on a new battery. Starting every time is the #1 thing you need a car to do after all.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Agreed, a combination of a strong battery, and a high quality battery charger/tender are two parts of the same coin.

Unless you want to replace the battery every other year, and investment in a tender will pay off quickly.

You don't even need to use it all the time. Just the occasional maintenance boost when its been a week or two between driving or after a cold snap where it never really got charged back up properly again.

My conventional as fuck mustang has started every time all winter with it's new battery and the occasional feeding of my CTEK.

CTEK currently lives on the C63 in the garage while its not being driven. Now in that case, even extending the life of the AGM by a few months pays for the CTEK.

I actually might get another one haha.

fact.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaTuner View Post

Yep.

Of course, good on the marketers for finding another way to get money out of people for something they "need!" that does nothing more than the basic model. Also, batteries should not discharge that much while sitting unless you have unknown power draws.

I have 7 year old costco dual batteries in my dmax. It sat for the month of January, which averaged probably -20*C at my place. Fired it up in -25*C not plugged in no problem.

If it makes you feel better to use these chargers, by all means.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast