Quantcast
Calgary Transmission Service - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Transmission Service

My Ride
    Lada - Niva Trek

Default Calgary Transmission Service

Hopefully there are a few Z32 guys who can help with this......

Who in Calgary would you take your FS5W30A Tranny to for a build ?

I simply can't afford to fuck this up, or have THEM fuck it up...lol. I have too much invested into this project and need someone who knows Nissan FS5W30A trannys.

I plan to bring in:
    - Core FS5W30A 5spd Tranny.
    - OSG 5spd Gear Kit, OSG Input Shaft, OSG Center Plate.
    - All brand new Syncros and other OEM shit I need to get it done.

I also plan to take everything that is OEM and get it Cryo Treated prior to installation.

Can anyone recommend a shop to get this build done at in Calgary ?

Thanks,
    Allan

My Ride
    Lada - Niva Trek

Does everyone in the import crowd in Calgary just run a stock tranny till it grenades ? then replace with the same ? ........and rinse and repeat ?

Can anyone atleast recommend a shop that does decent import tranny work, even if not Nissan's specifically ?

One thing about Beyond is that the most prominent demographic is not capable of such an epic build (like the one that you appear to be planning). As such, the majority will not have any advice.

I've searched before, and I don't think there is very much advice in the way of transmission shops for the Calgary area, let alone performance transmission builds. Those of us who have required work like this in the past almost certainly had it shipped out. I have sent my ZF's to Michigan for upgrades.

I have heard from second hand reviews that there is a guy in Calgary that is pretty good with ZF. Larry's Transmission contracts work out to him. Maybe worth investigating if you are dead-set on having your transmission done in town.

My Ride
    Lada - Niva Trek

Ya, I would just rather not send it out of town, because of all the shit that goes with it.

It's not that I am embarking on a crazy epic build, I have just found myself in a position where I am nervous as shit......lol....as I have invested a few bucks and don't want to see it go down the drain thanks to some sub-par technician.

I think for the most part, as long as someone can rebuild a Nissan tranny from or by 'the book', he can do this OS Giken upgrade, as it's simply replacement parts.

Finding someone who can not only work by 'the book' but can also add his own anal retentiveness and attention to detail to the project is key I think.

In a nutshell, that's the kind of guy I want working on this portion of my build

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).
    Dominion Automatic, dude. They do all the CPS vehicles, they stand behind their work and they KNOW trannies, period. Cars, trucks, automatic, standard, it don't matter. If they can't help you with your specific build (but I'd be surprised if they couldn't) they will know who can. I can't say enough good things about that shop, those guys are like a breath of fresh air from mechanics trying to hose you all the time and do sub par work. Nothing leaves that shop unless it's perfect and 100% what you expect.
    Last edited by dsr7723; 05-26-2010 at 04:39 PM.

My Ride
    something green

You need to find where Mark who was "Calgary Transmission" is working... He was in a transmission shop just off 1st sw that was called "Change auto", but I don't know if he is there anymore...
    He is a bit whacky, and you need to keep on him, but as transmission guys go, he is probably your best bet, he knows how the trick stuff works.
    Mark was the only guy who would touch my 10,000.00 dollar HKS dog box, and he got it apart and back together without any kind of manual and it works. Every else just chickened out on it and I tried a lot of transmission shops...
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by Maxt
    You need to find where Mark who was "Calgary Transmission" is working... He was in a transmission shop just off 1st sw that was called "Change auto", but I don't know if he is there anymore...
    He is a bit whacky, and you need to keep on him, but as transmission guys go, he is probably your best bet, he knows how the trick stuff works.
    Mark was the only guy who would touch my 10,000.00 dollar HKS dog box, and he got it apart and back together without any kind of manual and it works. Every else just chickened out on it and I tried a lot of transmission shops...
    Change auto is Mr. Transmission now, and after 2 rebuilds at approx 60k each time I found out about Dominion thru a friend, and when I jumped ship over to Dominion they ripped it apart and every stock part that could be re-used was, it was poorly built, plus this scumbag told me he put a triple disc TC in there, turned out to be stock. This guy wasn't named Mark btw, just to be clear that I'm not dissing this person. I'm sure Change Auto may have been good at some point but Mr. Transmission now are a bunch of lying smooth talking thieves.

so basically no good tranny shops in calgary? even "dominion" had good and bad reviews. im looking to get my auto tranny rebuilt too but now i think im going with a brand new unit for $700. stock btw.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Whatever you do, do NOT bring it to A1 Alberta Transmission.

My Ride
    Is orange - and going to rack up my demerits

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I have to ask what the problem you had there was?
    i have had 3 trannys and a transfer case done over there and never had a problem. Not only that but whenever i bring something over there for a check or if something seems out he doesn't even charge me to look at it and hook the computer up to it.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same place im talking about the place off edmonton trail by the Totem
    Originally posted by mugensix
    im @ pizza hut here in medicine hat gettin some munchies, and i accidentally take some dudes food.. anyways i get called(did pickup so wen i foned in they musta had the #) and i had to fuckin return it, what a fuckin embarrassment lol, a buncha hotties wrkin 2.
    Originally posted by swak

Your post is a bigger embarrassment than that bro.
    Originally posted by mugensix
    Im sorry, because you must be a fucking immature moron with time to kill hey? go fucking die in a corner. Typical uneducated retard...

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Bump any Autotranny rebuilders for a 2004 Volvo XC90 Transmission is already out.T6 if that matters.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Give Beyond Transmissions a call. Used to be called Ram's.

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by Kloubek
    First rule of shopping is never trust "A1" shops. You know they put that there so they are first in the phone books? Such a cheap trick It makes me never want to trust those places.

OP have you asked Regal Tuning, or any other tuner shop in town? You probably want to use their "Go to" guy.

My Ride
    efiddyfive

I had a bad experience at beyond....started out fine and turned to shit. They couldnt tell me if my valvebody or torque converter lockup clutch failed in my truck. I ended up doing both and paying slightly less than getting a reman with 3 year warranty from the gm dealer.

My Ride
    4x4

National transmission on MacLeod seems to be the one I'm seeing most often lately.

Isn't the t6 a gm 4T65E? If it is... Frick I'd almost try quality - not my first choice but its such a common unit - should be hard to mess up that bad...

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Rebumping this thread. Just picked up a Range Rover supercharged with a blown tranny. I have spoken to Kris as Mr. Transmission about a rebuild or junkyard swap. Who else in town works on ZF transmissions? Called Beyond, Accurate, and a couple Land Rover shops and nobody wants to work on these.

Quote Originally Posted by bbcustoms View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to ask what the problem you had there was?
    i have had 3 trannys and a transfer case done over there and never had a problem. Not only that but whenever i bring something over there for a check or if something seems out he doesn't even charge me to look at it and hook the computer up to it.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same place im talking about the place off edmonton trail by the Totem
    Sorry - never saw your post until now - via a Google search no less.

I had a 1993 Lincoln Mark 8 which blew the transmission back in 2002 or 2003. Took it to A1. I told them I had a road trip planned a few days later, they guaranteed it would be ready.

I left them for a couple days and when I called they hadn't gotten to it yet. (All the while I am paying for a taxi to get to and from work). 2 days before my road trip I called them and they said they had started in on it and expected to finish it that day so I could pick it a day before my trip.

I called the following day and they said it is taking longer than expected but they promised they would finish it that day so I could pick it up in the morning of my trip. They just had to drop it back in but the rebuild was complete so it would "absolutely" be done by morning. I taxi'd out to them the next morning at open. They told me it wasn't back in the car yet. So I waited. (Nowhere to go around there). And waited. And waited. At 4pm, they were finally complete. So now I need to drive to BC in the dark, and wasted an entire day of my time as well. Plus all the taxis due to them taking their sweet time.

1 month later, transmission blows again. I am barely able to hobble it to their shop. They fix it quick enough this time and I am back on the road. Less than a year later, the transmission seems to start slipping again. Just a touch. (I am, by now, becoming an expert on how it feels.)

I parked the car and sold it at a loss.

Their pricing was great, but in the end they cost me a bundle.

FWIW I'd get away from that range ASAP. Garbage vehicle. If you need a transmission, get a reman'd unit from the pros.

https://www.roverparts.com/transmiss...on/TGD500560RK

My Ride
    4x4

The one thing that always has been an issue for land rover continues to apply.

The problem is never mechanical, it's almost always electrical. This would go doubly for a transmission issue on a modern rover. Start by resetting everything, and verifying sensors & solenoid operation.

It's british, any british car owner knows - lucas owns the patent on short circuits.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by born2workoncars View Post
    FWIW I'd get away from that range ASAP. Garbage vehicle. If you need a transmission, get a reman'd unit
    First part: Yes they are. I bought it knowing what I was getting into. The air suspension issues is the big one, along with generally high failure rates throughout. But most of the issues (transmission clearly aside) are straight forward fixes I can do myself. The engine is bulletproof and drivetrain issues of the early model l322 had been largely solved by 2006. (Besides the generally shitty quality part). If one was to buy a used RR, the first gen of supercharged is the one to get. As a vehicle, it ticked a lot of boxes for my needs. I expect a love/hate relationship and will probably tire of the issues at some point. At least my pocketbook will.
    As to the reman: Thank you, but once you factor in everything that route might even be more expensive than a new one from LR, which they quoted at $7800.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    The problem is never mechanical, it's almost always electrical.
    I gotta disagree with you on this one Andy. The issue is often mechanical. Air suspension issues abound are all mechanical. Leaks. Diff and tranny problems in early L322s, chain guides in later ones. All mechanical. And all stupid expensive to fix.

Then, of course, the slew of electrical gremlins thanks to all the proprietarily-locked ecus everywhere.

One really does need to be passionate about what the vehicle offers to commit themselves to owning a Land Rover. At least for now, I am. Oddly, the "prestige" of the brand is not one of them. In fact, it's borderline embarrassing driving a vehicle made to such lax standards.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 09-17-2020 at 05:08 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    I gotta disagree with you on this one Andy. The issue is often mechanical. Air suspension issues abound are all mechanical. Leaks. Diff and tranny problems in early L322s, chain guides in later ones. All mechanical. And all stupid expensive to fix.

Then, of course, the slew of electrical gremlins thanks to all the proprietarily-locked ecus everywhere.

One really does need to be passionate about what the vehicle offers to commit themselves to owning a Land Rover. At least for now, I am. Oddly, the "prestige" of the brand is not one of them. In fact, it's borderline embarrassing driving a vehicle made to such lax standards.
    At this point it could very well be mechanical - but it's likely electrical that took it to that point. And often is the root cause to the issue. Those transmissions aren't commonly bad (freelander is another story), but like you said the ecu and the crappy wiring they do is the weak point. Kind of why I said go straight into electrical work out what's out of spec first, otherwise you'll be going back down that path...

Used to be a lot of the SC'd rovers with knocking engines on kijiji, might be the preferable way to go... especially for a play toy / maybe flip...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast