Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 thread

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 thread

Team Blue is crushed.

Now waiting for 6000 benchmarks.

And if you prefer Tech Jesus over whiney voice:

Last edited by Xtrema; 11-05-2020 at 12:27 PM.

My Ride
    2020 M2 Competition

Waited in line this morning at memory express, which got about 40 chips of different SKUs at that location (however, not many 5900x or 5959x)

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by JDC™ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Waited in line this morning at memory express, which got about 40 chips of different SKUs at that location (however, not many 5900x or 5959x)
    I did online order of the 5900x because it was a option and then they fucking won't fill my order and said they sold them all and it'll be a few weeks.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Now I only need a 6000 review drop to find out what/how Rzyen will work with it. I still think new rig will be after Christmas and dust settles a bit.

My Ride
    2020 M2 Competition

Given the line up we had this morning (which was as long as the 3080 release) I won't be surprised if new products like this or the AMD GPUs are all in huge demand ongoing... luckily my battle is over as I can do my 5900X and 3080 build with all parts now arrived.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by JDC™ View Post
    Given the line up we had this morning (which was as long as the 3080 release) I won't be surprised if new products like this or the AMD GPUs are all in huge demand ongoing... luckily my battle is over as I can do my 5900X and 3080 build with all parts now arrived.
    So stupid. Oh well, ended up going to the NE and they still had 5800x in stock so nabbed one. Sucks cuz the price difference with the 5900 was so small but whatever. Now I can start trying to build this thing.

ExtremePC has stock but they are price gouging - $1500 MSRP on a 5950x "on sale" for $1400 haha. No thanks. Memory Express is trying to gouge a bit too at $1139, but not as bad.

I'm not as worried about CPU stock, it typically gets replenished much faster than GPUs but it would have been nice to get one on launch day.

Apparently Amazon and some other big retailers had their shipments slightly delayed, so there is still hope haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-05-2020 at 02:23 PM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

So the 6000 series reviews are finally out and.... they're not that impressive. I was hoping for something a little more groundbreaking. Still a bit cheaper than nvidia for the same performance I guess.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    So the 6000 series reviews are finally out and.... they're not that impressive. I was hoping for something a little more groundbreaking. Still a bit cheaper than nvidia for the same performance I guess.
    AMD's marketing slides on announcement day showed them on par with Ampere. It would be very unusual if it turned out they sandbagged themselves on launch day haha, but I agree that would have been good news. The reviews serve more to validate AMD's claims which so far appear to have been fairly accurate, give or take.

Relative to Ampere it's not that impressive, but their rate of internal generational improvement is very impressive so hopefully they can continue doing that in the future and continue to compete with Nvidia on a performance level rather than a price level as they have only been able to do in the past.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Sounds like Raytracing isn't as good and falls behind on other RTX features if you need it.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    AMD's marketing slides on announcement day showed them on par with Ampere. It would be very unusual if it turned out they sandbagged themselves on launch day haha, but I agree that would have been good news. The reviews serve more to validate AMD's claims which so far appear to have been fairly accurate, give or take.

Relative to Ampere it's not that impressive, but their rate of internal generational improvement is very impressive so hopefully they can continue doing that in the future and continue to compete with Nvidia on a performance level rather than a price level as they have only been able to do in the past.
    Oh I was totally hoping they undersold it a bit, especially with SAM and Rage Mode. Still good numbers, no doubt. Hoping next week's partner card launch isn't as limp as the reference cards.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Oh I was totally hoping they undersold it a bit, especially with SAM and Rage Mode. Still good numbers, no doubt. Hoping next week's partner card launch isn't as limp as the reference cards.
    Partner cards should perform better as they will get better cooling and higher power limits. The 6800XT already appears to overclock quite well, and partner cards will be doing that from the factory in various capacities. Not sure it will be anything massive but you should see a performance bump.

Rage Mode increases the power handling of the card (but still stays below power limits) and at the moment doesn't seem to do a lot, but AMD only claimed something like 1-3% gains. I think the only real benefit here is it doesn't cost the user anything except higher fan speeds.

SAM is much more interesting to me, however it is a generic feature of PCI Express rather than AMD's proprietary tech. Some games were getting a bump of nearly 20%, other games saw zero improvement. Apparently Nvidia will be introducing it soon on their cards, however it's disappointing that they knew about it and have been choosing not to implement it for all these years. The nice thing about the tech in general is again it costs the user nothing.

I'm curious as to why you feel that way?

For AMD/ATI, they are now at a point they haven't been for what, a decade?

For Nvidia, now they have to step up as AMD is offering on par performance for less. Or, if you actually compare apples to apples, the RX6800 STOMPS the 3070 in almost all areas besides ray tracing. Most people don't care about ray tracing and can hardly notice it.

There is still a 6900XT to come, which is supposed to outperform that 3090 for something like $500USD less. What more could consumers possibly want? Big navi is up over 40% gen over gen performance wise, with less power required/higher efficiency.

What I am disappointed by is the staggering price increases in high end GPU's in general. It's become the "go after the whales" market just like in video games. $/fps has come down, but even still a GTX 1060 was only around $240 mid-2019.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    I'm curious as to why you feel that way?

For AMD/ATI, they are now at a point they haven't been for what, a decade?
    I think the fact they have an answer to 3080 is nice. But hyping that it's better but end up only when raytracing is in play is where it disappointed some.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So with PC-Canada showing 2,000 ryzen chips arriving on Thursday I wonder if AMD is making a artificial shortage and then a big release for black friday? Hoping we'll see other retailers also load them up this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    So with PC-Canada showing 2,000 ryzen chips arriving on Thursday I wonder if AMD is making a artificial shortage and then a big release for black friday? Hoping we'll see other retailers also load them up this weekend.
    I doubt it. No company wants to do an artificial shortage, especially when the competitors product might be in stock. It just doesn't make any sense if they are trying to make as much money as possible. If there are thousands of customers wanting to buy their product, I guarantee they want to provide that to them sooner rather than later before those customers might say screw it and buy something else instead.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I doubt it. No company wants to do an artificial shortage, especially when the competitors product might be in stock. It just doesn't make any sense if they are trying to make as much money as possible. If there are thousands of customers wanting to buy their product, I guarantee they want to provide that to them sooner rather than later before those customers might say screw it and buy something else instead.
    Logically yeah, but do you think it's a coincidence that Nvidia was short on cards and then a big chunk appeared the same days as the RX 6000 cards got unveiled? Always seems to be a lot of coincidences.

Yeah, this guy made some good points on that subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDN8rLjWrTQ&t=1060s
    dv/dt

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Logically yeah, but do you think it's a coincidence that Nvidia was short on cards and then a big chunk appeared the same days as the RX 6000 cards got unveiled? Always seems to be a lot of coincidences.
    I personally don't think so. Also, a lot of the bigger, well connected YouTubers and hardware review websites have asked this exact question to people in the industry who know a lot more than you or I on the subject and they all say the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter what gets announced, computer parts, cameras, cars, etc. there are always people who think there is some sort of artificial shortage scheme going on and none of it makes any sense whatsoever. Doing so is basically choosing to make substantially less money and a surefire way to piss off your customers.

Even in your example, Nvidia getting some stock around RX6000 announcement doesn't mean they held anything back. Sure, maybe they timed it like that but I doubt they were holding onto those cards for months waiting for that exact moment. They probably wanted to get them sold before you could actually buy RX6000 parts so that customers didn't even have an option. Anyone who buys an Nvidia card right now is almost surely not going to swap it for an AMD card in a couple months or vise versa. Right now I think people are buying whatever they can get their hands on from AMD and Nvidia, which is another reason why artificial scarcity makes zero sense. Why would one company want to hold onto product and wait for their competitor to get a bunch of stock? All that does is guarantee some of those customers aren't buying their product.

2020 is just a weird year for everything and has caused stock problems for most industries it seems, not just PC parts. There is no way these companies are intentionally holding back stock when everyone is chomping at the bit to buy it, especially when alternatives are currently available and they are trying to pad their year end numbers. There are always conspiracy theorists talking about artificial shortages every year it seems (not saying this is you) and none of it makes any sense whatsoever from a business standpoint. People well connected to the suppliers seem to echo that sentiment as well. Steve at GN did a big speech in one of his videos on why artificial scarcity isn't a thing (I believe it was regarding Ryzen CPUs) and he probably has some of the best sources out there. I don't doubt that these companies pick and choose certain days within a smaller window, but the idea that they are holding back stock for months doesn't hold up IMO.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-23-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast