Quantcast
Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12

Thread: Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement

Check out the video memory usage on COD Cold War @ 4K with Ultra Textures (downloadable 40GB texture pack)
    Pretty crazy stuff, I don’t see how this is a usable option in the game unless you have anything but a 3090, I'm surprised the developers even included it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ukyo8 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Check out the video memory usage on COD Cold War @ 4K with Ultra Textures (downloadable 40GB texture pack)
    Pretty crazy stuff, I don’t see how this is a usable option in the game unless you have anything but a 3090, I'm surprised the developers even included it.

I know very little about GPUs but is it similar to RAM where as you add more it uses more? Could just be that it scales up to how much is available? Seems you're still locked at 144fps so still plenty smooth

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I know very little about GPUs but is it similar to RAM where as you add more it uses more? Could just be that it scales up to how much is available? Seems you're still locked at 144fps so still plenty smooth
    Video card RAM is used primarily for textures. There are a few exceptions (like Watchdogs Legion which can hit around 11GB actually used in 4K), but even 4K Ultra settings in most games doesn't even need 8GB. GPU monitoring software can be misleading as well because often games reserve VRAM even if they never use it, which can make people think they need more VRAM when they don't as the reported number is not what is actually being used. If you're a 1080P or 1440P gamer it's pretty unlikely you would need more than 8GB in today's games. A big reason the 3090 is such bad value for gaming is because you're basically paying an enormous premium for all that VRAM, and with performance that is only about 8-10% on average better than a 3080 despite having 2.4X the VRAM, it's more of a workstation card.

COD is a bit unique in that it downloads huge texture packs to your HDD for a small improvement, but it's not really necessary. COD at 1440P maxed out allocates around 6GB VRAM - I haven't yet tested if it's actually using all of it or not.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Broke down and finally went over to MemEx to put my name on the list for a FTW3 3080. Sales guy said that the EVGA cards have been coming in at a steady rate, the ASUS ones have hardly been coming in at all.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Did they give you an idea of how long it would be? Months? Weeks?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Did they give you an idea of how long it would be? Months? Weeks?
    Nope, I actually asked if he could look to see how long the line for the card was and he said he couldn't. What he said seems to check out with what's been reported online though.

Keep checking MemEx's website, I picked off 2 eVGA FTW3 3090s from Saskatoon's store (they made me use paypal to ship it directly to me, and not through the regular online store though). The website says no stock now, but in the last week various stores have been getting the eVGA 3090s in stock in varying numbers. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the 5950x CPUs, and I'm very close to just buying a scalped unit from Ebay for the extra $350 it'll cost.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

3090 available online / Calgary NE store:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00114401

3090 available online / Calgary NE store:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00114401
    aaand they're gone lol

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Looks like MemoryExpress ditched backorders for new orders. Now they have a request/reservation system you have to fill out a form and submit. 1 processor / 1 GPU max per person.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 12-11-2020 at 11:54 AM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Looks like MemoryExpress ditched backorders all together. Now they have a request/reservation system you have to fill out a form and submit. 1 processor / 1 GPU max per person.
    Looks like it's just an attempt to make the online backorder process match the instore process, you had to pre-pay to place a backorder online which alot of people didn't like.

Reservations will be filled in the order they are submitted; existing instore and online backorders will be filled first. Please do not submit a product reservation request if you already have a backorder in place with us.
    Emphasis mine

Looks like MemoryExpress ditched backorders all together. Now they have a request/reservation system you have to fill out a form and submit. 1 processor / 1 GPU max per person.
    Their employees don't know the difference between a CPU and GPU so this should be an interesting policy to enforce

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Looks like it's just an attempt to make the online backorder process match the instore process, you had to pre-pay to place a backorder online which alot of people didn't like.

Emphasis mine
    I should've said for *new orders. I'll edit mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Their employees don't know the difference between a CPU and GPU so this should be an interesting policy to enforce
    Sad isn't it - I remember back in the 1 store days, even the 3 or 4 store days, when they had employees that were extremely knowledgeable, many into gaming/building/etc.

Also - The MemEx Winnipeg West store has 10+ eVGA 3090 in stock, and some 3080s as well, as of Friday 11/December at 9:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Sad isn't it - I remember back in the 1 store days, even the 3 or 4 store days, when they had employees that were extremely knowledgeable, many into gaming/building/etc.

Also - The MemEx Winnipeg West store has 10+ eVGA 3090 in stock, and some 3080s as well, as of Friday 11/December at 9:00.
    Yeah. I've been bitching about this for a while now but I lost my 5950X reservation because the employee though it was a GPU so I'm bitter haha. Now I am somewhere at the end of the line.

You'd think they would have to pass some sort of competency test to work at a store like that but they are just hiring warm bodies, and would rather not take phone calls at all than pay someone from the massive pool of unemployed workers minimum wage to answer them. It's actually quite stunning.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12