Quantcast
Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 3000 Series Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sort of. Comparing specs to a 2080ti most guys are only getting 10-30% increase. The real performance gain is in video editing and rendering.

The price per performance is good but let be fair its new and should be better. The claim that NVIDIA keeps making that it is cheaper may be true in the US but we sorta get screwed. Ive read tons of stuff that they shorted the product amount at launch so they can bump the prices.

My EVGA 2080ti xc at launch was 1400
    EVGA 3080 xc at launch is 1050

With an overclock in the games I have i'm beating all the 1440p numbers of the FE. Obviously the benchmarks are stock FE but I was expecting more after all the hype.

Im waiting for a 3080 ti to drop but I really hope the specs are better then 30% or I may pass unless 4k 144hz monitors drop in price significantly.
    It's best to compare it to a regular 2080, as that is what it is directly replacing. Drivers are still immature on the 3XXX series and no supplemental cards are out yet (Supers, Ti, etc.). Compared to a 2080 it is a huge upgrade across the board. Obviously if you have a higher end previous-gen card than the 3080 equivalent, margins will be lower, and especially if you also have that card overclocked like your 2080Ti. I can understand why that is an interesting comparison but it isn't as relevant because most 2080Ti owners will be looking at the 3080Ti for a possible replacement, not the 3080.

Hardware Unboxed did their objective testing on 14 games and the 3080 was a minimum of 22% faster and an average of 30% faster than the 2080Ti at 4K (some titles over 40%), and an average of 21% faster at 1440P across the same. Compared to the regular 2080 it was 68% faster at 4K (over 80% in some games) and 47% faster at 1440P on average. That's pretty good for a single generation. I don't know why some people were expecting 80% across the board, not even Nvidia was claiming that from anything I have seen anyway.

The 3080 and above is primarily targeted at 4K gamers, and as with every other GPU, gains will of course be lower at lower resolutions as the CPU becomes more of the bottleneck.

Price/performance and performance/watt are better than last gen which is a win in my books. As for how much better it should be in those categories, I guess that's up for debate.

I'm not sure the 3080Ti will be as impressive this time around because the 3080 is (apparently) closer to the 3090/Titan in performance than the previous gen equivalents to the Titan models. Huge amounts of VRAM doesn't matter as much as people think it does for a lot of games, but certainly there are some scenarios where it can be very beneficial. I'm not sure if the 3080Ti will be the 20GB variant or if there will simply be a 3080 with 20GB. I'm sure it'll still be an excellent card but I'm curious to see how much better it is than a 3080. The other thing I found interesting is that this time around the 3080 and 3090/Titan both use the GA102 GPU. Historically, only the Ti card would share the GPU with the Titan/Flagship model, so that is another reason why the 3080 might be closer to the 3080Ti than with previous generations, but we will have to wait and see. The Ti/Titan GPUs themselves also usually perform better in creative software than the "gaming" models (XX80 and below), but that may not be the case this year with the 3080 sharing the same GPU.

I use my GPU for a lot of photo processing work that will max it out 100%, so I'm especially curious to see how much faster Ampere will be for those workloads - nobody benchmarks that though unfortunately that I have ever seen.

I think for anyone building a new PC this fall, Ampere and Ryzen 5000 are going to be a pretty incredible combo.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-18-2020 at 11:28 AM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

And for anyone not wanting a new build, GPU prices are starting to fall on the used market. I see some 1070ti's for $250 on kijiji, which is actually a good deal. (better than my current card actually)

I'm wondering if there will be enough stock left by black friday to see a clearance on BNIB 1___ and 2___ cards.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

I don't know why some people were expecting 80% across the board, not even Nvidia was claiming that from anything I have seen anyway.

I use my GPU for a lot of photo processing work that will max it out 100%, so I'm especially curious to see how much faster Ampere will be for those workloads - nobody benchmarks that though unfortunately that I have ever seen.

I think for anyone building a new PC this fall, Ampere and Ryzen 5000 are going to be a pretty incredible combo.
    I agree, maybe I was just hoping for more because of how hard they hyped it in the reveal. Throwing numbers like 2x the 2080 and 3070 = 2080ti made a lot of people panic sell (even though they didn't specify fps for gaming or raw power) so the marketing definitely worked lol.

Linus has a video up testing processing power and IMO thats where this card really shines and where these things are truly worth the money. Thats where you really see the power!

This fall is gonna be crazy for anyone building a pc. Used market is insane right now and AMD is looking really good! Curious to see how close they get to the 3080, rumor has it the have an equivalent for gaming and it uses less power. We will have to wait and see.

PS anyone actually know someone that could find one? I heard bots got almost all of them for resell.
    IG:scboss

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    I agree, maybe I was just hoping for more because of how hard they hyped it in the reveal. Throwing numbers like 2x the 2080 and 3070 = 2080ti made a lot of people panic sell (even though they didn't specify fps for gaming or raw power) so the marketing definitely worked lol.
    They obviously hyped it a bit (that's their job I guess haha), but everything I've seen from Nvidia said "up to" 80% or "up to" 2X the 2080. Anyone panic selling based on that info didn't read what they said. We all know what "up to" means when used in advertisements - there are some cherry picked scenarios where it performs like that, but everything else will be somewhere below. It's like walking into a store with a big "Up to 70% off" sign out front - everything is 10% off but there is some pair of socks in the back that nobody wants that is 70% off lol.

I'll have to find that processing power video, I haven't seen it yet. If it's also a beast for creative work that will be huge for me too.

Apparently Nvidia is now reviewing all orders to prevent bots from buying them, but who knows how well that works. I think after the initial fury, and after more variants come (3060, 3060 TI, 3070, 3070 Ti, 3080 Super are all confirmed), it won't be hard to get one.

Rumors from people who apparently have reliable AMD sources say that the 6800 will trade blows with a 3080 and the 6900 will trade blows with the 3090. I'm always rooting for AMD but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-21-2020 at 10:26 AM.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I'll believe it when I see it - admittedly an Nvidia fanbox for the past 15 years or so. But the 5700 XT wasn't keeping up to the 2080 super, just significantly cheaper, evan back in January AMD was talking about beating the 2080 TI with Big Navi, I don' see them competing at a 3080 level. If they can get to 3060/3070 levels at 150 cheaper though, there's still lots of market share for those not wanting to spend top dollar. Especially while supply of Nvidia is limited.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Rumors from people who apparently have reliable AMD sources say that the 6800 will trade blows with a 3080 and the 6900 will trade blows with the 3090. I'm always rooting for AMD but I'll believe it when I see it.
    I agree, I want something that will trade blows with the 3070 but better pricing, one can dream. the 1080 is showing its age at 4k gaming

Apparently, Big Navi / RDNA2 has performed better than expected way back when they were shooting for 2080Ti performance. Take that with a grain of salt but that's what a few places are reporting who apparently have sources within AMD that have been reliable in the past. It's definitely a 'wait and see' type thing though.

Also, another interesting (but tiny) thing I noticed was one of the AMD executives commented on someone's Tweet talking about how AMD was not going to be able to compete with Ampere. The reply suggested otherwise. Obviously that is just one little thing, but it's interesting they bothered to comment with a "don't be so sure about that" attitude, publicly.

Even if they keep doing what they have been, releasing good mid-high (not flagship) cards and undercutting Nividia pricing, that's still going to be a win for them. That's what I'm expecting, so anything better will be a bonus. I will always buy Nvidia cards as long as the creative applications I use are specifically optimized for CUDA cores.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Apparently, Big Navi / RDNA2 has performed better than expected way back when they were shooting for 2080Ti performance. Take that with a grain of salt but that's what a few places are reporting who apparently have sources within AMD that have been reliable in the past. It's definitely a 'wait and see' type thing though.

Also, another interesting (but tiny) thing I noticed was one of the AMD executives commented on someone's Tweet talking about how AMD was not going to be able to compete with Ampere. The reply suggested otherwise. Obviously that is just one little thing, but it's interesting they bothered to comment with a "don't be so sure about that" attitude, publicly.

Even if they keep doing what they have been, releasing good mid-high (not flagship) cards and undercutting Nividia pricing, that's still going to be a win for them. That's what I'm expecting, so anything better will be a bonus. I will always buy Nvidia cards as long as the creative applications I use are specifically optimized for CUDA cores.
    I don't think Nvidia is willing to give people bang for $ like they did with 3000 series without some credible report that RDNA2 could be quite potent. Still, I will wait for the hype train to die a bit 1st. It's not like I'm hating my 1080ti right now.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-21-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Skip to 18:22 for real life gaming benchmarks that aren't controlled by Nvidia.
    As a 1440p gamer it's certainly not worth upgrading (3080 or 3090 from a 2080Ti), if you have a 4k 120Hz monitor it might be worth considering.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I don't think Nvidia is willing to give people bang for $ like they did with 3000 series without some credible report that RDNA2 could be quite potent. Still, I will wait for the hype train to die a bit 1st. It's not like I'm hating my 1080ti right now.
    On one of their quarterly calls they said the 2080 TI revenue was a fair bit under what they expected ... people just aren't seeing the value of upgrading for such small performance bump so I think that's also part of it.

The 2080Ti is/was one of the worst value cards in Nvidia's recent history. It should have been a $1000 product not $1400+. The same could be said for most of the 2XXX lineup. If you didn't have a GPU and needed one, fine, but if you were a 1XXX series owner, there wasn't much incentive to upgrade, especially from something like a 1080Ti. The 3XXX series on the other hand is the biggest single series upgrade in over a decade, especially for 4K gamers and creatives. Resolutions more CPU-bound of course won't see the same increases, and that has always been the case. At 1440P you are still seeing an average increase in frames of around 50% comparing the 2080 to 3080, which for lots of people will be worth the upgrade. If you're a 4K gamer it's a no-brainer.

The 3090, as expected, is not nearly as big of a jump over the 3080 in games as previous gen XX80 vs Titan were. The 3080Ti will be an interesting product as the gap it has to fill is smaller than usual. The 3080 might end up being the better buy this time around, when historically the Ti cards were some of the highest performance per dollar.

Some of the best bargains might end up being something like the 3070Ti 16GB.

My Ride
    Silverado

Sounds like I should base a future 4k gaming rig around a 3080

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Sounds like I should base a future 4k gaming rig around a 3080
    The 3080 will be the entry point to 4K gaming, and it will still depend heavily on the game and what monitor you want to use as to whether it's the right choice.

If you're a 144hz+ gamer you will need more power, depending on the game. It will break 100fps in 4K on some games but many are in the 60/80/100FPS range still. Massive performance gain coming from a 2080 in 4K, but it still won't be a catch-all for 4K gaming at the most popular 'enthusiast' FPS rates. Drivers and game patches could of course improve this going forward, too.

I've got a 3080 otw. I got fucked this AM on the 3090 launch, had one in my cart from Nvidia - Founders Edition, no other sites had stock, I had 5 windows open and every store didn't update to in stock for the 2 hours I tried, but at about 730 the Nvidia site had "add to cart pop up", and within 2 seconds I hit add to cart, got a card into my cart, but then hitting the checkout button caused a crash - it'd just sit on "checking out..." for an hour. Tried refreshing in another window a few times - no dice. Oh well. Have to wait on the 3090 I guess.

MemEx is one of the few (only so far I've found) that has 3080s with the ability to order one - they have it saying backordered on all the cards. Emailed them, they said as people order those, they fill them in the order received. Wish they knew which of the 10 cards they were getting and when...Sales at the main N.E. store told me that their purchasers won't have any info for them for at least 3 weeks. Paper launch - booo.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 09-24-2020 at 07:13 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Ukyo8 View Post
    Skip to 18:22 for real life gaming benchmarks that aren't controlled by Nvidia.
    As a 1440p gamer it's certainly not worth upgrading (3080 or 3090 from a 2080Ti), if you have a 4k 120Hz monitor it might be worth considering.

I think Linus bitch about it's Titan price but Titan features are locked. So pros who needs Titan may get the same card with a higher MSRP.

That said, I don't even have a 4K 120Hz panel yet but I think 3080 match well with one of those 32:9 1440p monitors, like the Samsung G9.

My 2080ti panels max out my 1440p 34" Alienware 120hz monitors right now in most games on high/ultra, high nvidia 3d settings, etc. Not all the time, but frequently I'll hit the 120hz limit.

I have 27" 4k 144hz Asus PG27UQ monitors (3 of them) - be interesting to see what the 3080 and 90 do in the real world - probably pretty close to all the decent YT reviewers. I don't plan on doing any "8k" stuff for a couple years.

PS - I'll have 3 2080ti cards for sale for cheap once I get my 2 3080s and 1 3090 in. 2 Zotac ti AMP, and one Evga 2080ti FTW3.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

AMD RDNA2 unveiling is Oct 28th, will be curious to see how they compare

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    AMD RDNA2 unveiling is Oct 28th, will be curious to see how they compare
    With how quiet they are being it doesn't bode well... Especially since the Radeon side of things is usually gung ho with the idiotic marketing spin.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    With how quiet they are being it doesn't bode well... Especially since the Radeon side of things is usually gung ho with the idiotic marketing spin.
    Rumors from people claiming to have historically reliable insider sources, including comments from AMD executives themselves, seem to suggest they will be able to trade blows with the 3080 with the 6800. As always, I'm sure some games will favor Nvidia and others AMD. RDNA2 is also what the new consoles are based on (at least in part) and they can do 4K/60. I think everyone is in "believe it when I see it" mode (I certainly am), but they really haven't been that quiet about it if you look around. They also have the benefit of already knowing exactly how the 3080 and 3090 perform for any last minute tweaks. It's rumored to have 80 CU's and ~5120 stream processors as well as a 256bit memory bus and and start at 16GB VRAM. It will also be on the 7nm TSMC node (12.5% smaller than Nvidia's), so it could be more efficient. I wouldn't dismiss them just yet. Even if they come out with near-3080 performance but for $100-200 less, that will be a win.

Whatever their marketing, I doubt it will be nearly as bad as Nvidia marketing the workstation Titan (3090) cards as 8K gaming cards lol.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-25-2020 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-real...0-andrtx-3090/

TLDR, partner cards is cheaping out on capacitors, causing crashes on boost. Only FEs are stable so far.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-25-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast