Quantcast
Beyond readers... Give me book recommendations! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beyond readers... Give me book recommendations!

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Sanderson is basically the man when it comes to fantasy.

+2 for Mistborn. It’s not epic high fantasy, more of an anti hero piece.

Very good, draws you in fast.

Another recommendation is Patrick Rothruss’ Kingkiller chronicles.

Rumours are he’s finishing the third book this year.

And speaking of storm light archives, those are sandersons masterpieces. His game of thrones. Book four this year, and it’ll likely be a 10-12 book series. One book every 3-4 years.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    ute

thats not what I would call a tight plot.

A lot of stuff to start checking out. We seem to have a huge amount of Beyonders big into the fantasy genre!

Currently I am finishing the G.O.T. series which took me forever to finally start but I am enjoying the books quite a bit more than I was expecting. Makes me wish they did the TV series quite a bit differently as it progressed.

Does anyone have any good mystery/detective/crime/spy type reads they have come across lately? I have been feeling the itch to get into a new one lately. One crime/fiction series I have surprisingly gotten drawn into is the Cormoran Strike books penned under the pseudonym "Robert Galbraith" who is actually JK Rowling. Four books out to date with a 5th one due to be released in just a couple days. I am looking forward to that one!

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice. Arthur C Clarke is a legend, and someone I need to revisit. Been a decade but I remember loving everything he wrote.
    Haven't read it, but apparently Liu Cixin is the chinese Arthur C Clarke and he wrote some good trilogy called the three body problem... Coming to netflix from the guys who made game of thrones.

This is a great thread.

A lot of good books and ideas in here... Better get reading!

Thanks @tirebob

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Longitude by David Sobel. A good read about how this problem(Longitude) was solved by a watchmaker.
    Ghost Map - Steven Johnson. Good read about Jon Snow and his efforts to map a Cholera outbreak in 1854. Leading to what we know as geomatics and very relevant to the mapping of Corona.
    Animal Farm - George Orwell. Very relevant today.
    Wasp Factory - Ian Banks
    Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre. It won the booker prize in 2003. It hilarious(my ex girlfriend said the main character is pretty much me).
    Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson. One of my favourite books.
    The Damage Done - Warren Fellows. True Crime. Author write about his experience in a Thai Prison. I found this book hard to put down.
    Marching Powder - Rusty Young. True Crime. Stories of a guy getting caught trafficking cocaine and sent to a south American Prison. He details what really goes on. Crazy read.
    Dracula - Bram Stoker.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Definitely have read my share of biographies over the years! Reading one about Winston Churchill as we speak.

That does look interesting... Is it written as a story or more as an accounting more like a history book?
    Its non fiction and all about history. It's quite gruesome but very very interesting to know how the states took shape.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    And speaking of storm light archives, those are sandersons masterpieces. His game of thrones. Book four this year, and it’ll likely be a 10-12 book series. One book every 3-4 years.
    And he has been pretty solid in his pace in writing all his books. He keeps everyone up to date on his progress and how he is doing for his books.

Have you see the kickstarted Leather bound book for Way of the Kings. Damm that book looks so nice, but $200US for it is so expensive. To be fair though it is pretty much the size as 2 regular sized hard covers.

My Ride
    This and that.

Anything by John Grisham. Pretty much one of the reasons I went into law. lol

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    And he has been pretty solid in his pace in writing all his books. He keeps everyone up to date on his progress and how he is doing for his books.

Have you see the kickstarted Leather bound book for Way of the Kings. Damm that book looks so nice, but $200US for it is so expensive. To be fair though it is pretty much the size as 2 regular sized hard covers.
    No! Didn’t know there was anything like that.

But yes, massive books. It’s not your kid’s fantasy story lol.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Longitude by David Sobel. A good read about how this problem(Longitude) was solved by a watchmaker.
    Ghost Map - Steven Johnson. Good read about Jon Snow and his efforts to map a Cholera outbreak in 1854. Leading to what we know as geomatics and very relevant to the mapping of Corona.
    Animal Farm - George Orwell. Very relevant today.
    Wasp Factory - Ian Banks
    Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre. It won the booker prize in 2003. It hilarious(my ex girlfriend said the main character is pretty much me).
    Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson. One of my favourite books.
    The Damage Done - Warren Fellows. True Crime. Author write about his experience in a Thai Prison. I found this book hard to put down.
    Marching Powder - Rusty Young. True Crime. Stories of a guy getting caught trafficking cocaine and sent to a south American Prison. He details what really goes on. Crazy read.
    Dracula - Bram Stoker.
    Read all those... I love the classics! John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway are probably my two favourite all time authours, but so many of those guys were way ahead of their time! People could learn a lot today by reading the old classics and their societal observations of the day.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Does anyone have any good mystery/detective/crime/spy type reads they have come across lately?
    I read "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler a few years ago (another one I bought because of the cover design). Chandler basically defined the old-timey gumshoe noir genre, so worth a read if you're into the classics.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I just finished "Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art Hardcover" by James Nestor. Got it on a friday, literally carried it around the house. Finished it within the week. Very good book.
    Cos...

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Read all those... I love the classics! John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway are probably my two favourite all time authours, but so many of those guys were way ahead of their time! People could learn a lot today by reading the old classics and their societal observations of the day.
    Ive not read any by Hemingway. He has been on my list for a long time.

@Buster Salt is on my list too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hemingway is my favourite writer, but he's not for everyone. There's generally not much plot movement. The guy can describe a lunch for several chapters.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Wristshots

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hemingway is my favourite writer, but he's not for everyone. There's generally not much plot movement. The guy can describe a lunch for several chapters.
    That's actually one of the things about Hemingway that I really love... He can make the details delectable to read, but, in the right context, he can say so much in just a few sentences... "Green Hills of Africa" comes to mind. In contrast, Tolkien seemingly always NEEDS to take several chapters to go through song, dance & the meal, but that's also great reading!

There are definitely some great recommendations here. I only ever read the first "Dune" entry, but I might need to re-read it and carry on with some of the sequels.

No love for Olaf Stapledon? I read "Last and First Men" long ago, but I didn't get into "Star Maker" or any of the others... The one was actually pretty dense in itself, but definitely worthwhile.

"Shadow & Claw" and "Sword & Citadel" by Gene Wolf are also pretty damn solid.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    + Dune
    + Hyperion trilogy (THE SHRIKE!!!)
    The five greatest books ever written

I never read the other Dune books though, the first one ended well enough and everyone I talk to says the series just goes downhill after the masterpiece first book. Somebody convince me I'm wrong???
    Last edited by birdman86; 09-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds is a great sci-fi book, and if you like it you could go on to read Revelation Space and any of the other books from that series.

Another good one is Artemis by Andy Weir (The Martian).

I like scifi books that tend to have some kind of scientific grounding and everything above qualifies. All of it is available as audiobook or in print.
    dv/dt

"Lying" by Sam Harris

Very short book, but it's like a software upgrade for your brain. It completely changed the way I think and act when it comes to telling the truth in all situations.

"We'll all be burnt in our beds some night..."

Joel Thomas Hynes.

Let me now what you think of the hot tub incident...

https://www.harpercollins.ca/9781443...ds-some-night/
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast