What's a lowball? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a lowball?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

were getting mixed up in terms

outlier = low baller
    participants = all
    discovery (price) = median offer amount (ie. participants that offer about the same amount)

Eg. if you have a car thats listed in blue book for 15k - and list it as such, but your offers are:

13, 13.5, 13.2 13.7 and 10

You get a sense of market (price) discovery and outliers.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    were getting mixed up in terms

outlier = low baller
    participants = all
    discovery (price) = median offer amount (ie. participants that offer about the same amount)

Eg. if you have a car thats listed in blue book for 15k - and list it as such, but your offers are:

13, 13.5, 13.2 13.7 and 10

You get a sense of market (price) discovery and outliers.
    The person who offers 10 is the same person who uses the default response to respond to an ad and never intends to buy.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    There are no lowballs. There is only market discovery.
    The market doesn’t lie

Amen buster
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree that the market doesn't lie. I always laugh at people who "can't sell their car because they are getting a bunch of lowballs." Like the dozens of people who tried to buy the car are all wrong and the seller is the only one who understands the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i always list stuff as firm, i dont have time to fuck around, if you dont like my price, move on, every offer is a lowball

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Agree that the market doesn't lie. I always laugh at people who "can't sell their car because they are getting a bunch of lowballs." Like the dozens of people who tried to buy the car are all wrong and the seller is the only one who understands the market.
    it only takes one person to buy it, everybody these days are trying to flip shit to make a quick buck, those are the lowballers.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    The person who offers 10 is the same person who uses the default response to respond to an ad and never intends to buy.
    Also the person who has 10 other Kijiji accounts making similar offers, so that you're duped into thinking you got "market discovery"

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Any offer that is given before the person has seen the item with thier own eyes.
    100% my view as well.
    Cos...

My Ride
    POS

It's when they ask what your lowest number is and you give it to them and they counter with a even lower offer or come to see the item and somehow hit their daily withdraw limit and couldn't get all the money out from the ATM. I always do my homework and price my stuff to sell fast so I just ignore low ballers.

I have made what might be considered lowball offers by the seller, but they were genuine thought out values and I make my argument right up front.

For example, I was looking at a new Husqvarna chainsaw that was $620 normally but was on sale for $500.00. A guy has the exact saw for sale that was almost new with just a tank of fuel run through it and he was selling it for $475. He knew that they were normally $620 and based on that his price was not bad, but since there was a sale on these everywhere, I contacted him and layed it out. I sent him 2 local links showing the sale for $500, explained that even though the saw was almost new, there was no warranty and that used in perfect condition justified about 2/3'rds of retail, and because of the sale that I was going to buy that day I think a fair offer would be $350.00. If he would take it I would drive over right away and if not I would go buy the new saw. He messaged me back annoyed saying it was a fair price and my offer was to low and that he would go down to $450 and that was it. I thanked him and said I appreciated that but for only $50 difference I was going to get the new saw with full warranty etc.

He messaged me 3 days later and said he would now give it to me for the $350 and was grossed out when I told him I told him it was too late and that I had already bought the new saw. Haha!
    Last edited by tirebob; 09-04-2020 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I contacted him and slayed it out.
    So you were buying a chainsaw... Did you phrase it like this when you offered? I can understand why he wouldn't want to deal with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    So you were buying a chainsaw... Did you phrase it like this when you offered? I can understand why he wouldn't want to deal with you.
    Haha! I totally missed that... Fucking spell check

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

He messaged me 3 days later and said he would now give it to me for the $350 and was grossed out when I told him I told him it was too late and that I had already bought the new saw. Haha!
    I hate it when you give someone an offer that isn't a lowball, they decline it and act weird about it, then later change their mind and willing to sell it for that price as if they are doing you a favor or something.

I make an extra effort to say no to those kinds of people.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

I think the big thing here people are missing is items people own outright vs things many people have financed or borrowed money on.

Something for a thousand bucks? Likely whatever you sell it for is cash in your pocket so maybe 700 bucks will suffice.

A 30k car? 40k? Opening with an offer of 70% of that will likely be seen as a lowball because in many cases that won't come close to covering what the person owes.

Im much more open to selling items I own outright for much less than asking, depending on what I want to use the cash for and if the item is completely unused and therefore of little value to me. If it's something someone would have money owning on and are likely selling to replace with another item serving the same purpose... that 70% opening offer probably won't fly.

My Ride
    NC1

Well it also depends who you are making the offer to. Someone you dunno? Why not throw out a lower offer.

Someone you know and cool with? Then you navigate that a bit differently.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Well it also depends who you are making the offer to. Someone you dunno? Why not throw out a lower offer.

Someone you know and cool with? Then you navigate that a bit differently.
    True, im selling a car atm and you just deal with the kijidiots.

Some just throw one number out - 60% of asking

Then some are polite and ask if you are open to negotiations, then offer 70%

I mean, they really have nothing to lose but I totally view that as a lowball

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It's a lowball offer if they somehow try to justify it by saying "I'll give you cash". Of course you will. You're still not getting my car for half price...

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I have made what might be considered lowball offers by the seller, but they were genuine thought out values and I make my argument right up front.

For example, I was looking at a new Husqvarna chainsaw that was $620 normally but was on sale for $500.00. A guy has the exact saw for sale that was almost new with just a tank of fuel run through it and he was selling it for $475. He knew that they were normally $620 and based on that his price was not bad, but since there was a sale on these everywhere, I contacted him and layed it out. I sent him 2 local links showing the sale for $500, explained that even though the saw was almost new, there was no warranty and that used in perfect condition justified about 2/3'rds of retail, and because of the sale that I was going to buy that day I think a fair offer would be $350.00. If he would take it I would drive over right away and if not I would go buy the new saw. He messaged me back annoyed saying it was a fair price and my offer was to low and that he would go down to $450 and that was it. I thanked him and said I appreciated that but for only $50 difference I was going to get the new saw with full warranty etc.

yeah if he's gonna be sticky like that then he needs to have patience... Pull it down, wait til the sale's over, then it's a good deal again, i do that quite often when selling stuff and someone tells me its on sale everywhere... i dont lower the price, i just change the timing
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    It's a lowball offer if they somehow try to justify it by saying "I'll give you cash". Of course you will. You're still not getting my car for half price...
    I have kijidiots in the past ask me for a car to be paid in installments! lol ...... uh huh sure!

My Ride
    ute

I don't sell shit on kijiji. I only use kijiji for things that are low enough value I just give them away.

I call it a "NE dump run".

My Ride

With my turnover of electronics as a part of my business dealings, it becomes worth while only over a certain dollar value amount - in my case anything less than 50$ (electronics, used value) is not worth dealing with.

Post under FREE, place on driveway/steps, and its gone in 30 minutes usually (instead of city trash).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast