Quantcast
Denis Villeneuve, Dune - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Denis Villeneuve, Dune

I saw it last week and thought it was excellent. I'm quite familiar with the source material (books), and the David Lynch film, and the sci fi mini-series.

This was a pretty good representation so far. However, I found it lacked some exposition that would've helped people that are coming in cold. A lot of important details and explanation was left out. And a few key characters too, which surely will appear in part 2, but were conspicuously absent in part 1.

For the most part this movie was vastly superior to the two prior on-screen incarnations. But I couldn't help but compare at certain points. And surprisingly I found there were still a few things I still liked better in the Lynch version than here. For example, I like how the gom jabbar scene was done in the Lynch film more. (perhaps it was the acting of the two characters involved) Also the scene with the first worm appearance when they are mining spice - one of the highlights of the Lynch film IMO. In this new one, your head is slammed with the Zimmer score which is basically just a wall of sound at times and it was hard to hear and discern what was going on.

Most of the cast was great. But not all of them are necessarily better than their 1984 Lynch counterparts. e.g. I thought the new Lady Jessica was played rather flat... lacked the emotional range that Francesca Annis had.

I am relieved Part 2 has been green lit. Now the long wait.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw it last week and thought it was excellent. I'm quite familiar with the source material (books), and the David Lynch film, and the sci fi mini-series.

This was a pretty good representation so far. However, I found it lacked some exposition that would've helped people that are coming in cold. A lot of important details and explanation was left out. And a few key characters too, which surely will appear in part 2, but were conspicuously absent in part 1.

For the most part this movie was vastly superior to the two prior on-screen incarnations. But I couldn't help but compare at certain points. And surprisingly I found there were still a few things I still liked better in the Lynch version than here. For example, I like how the gom jabbar scene was done in the Lynch film more. (perhaps it was the acting of the two characters involved) Also the scene with the first worm appearance when they are mining spice - one of the highlights of the Lynch film IMO. In this new one, your head is slammed with the Zimmer score which is basically just a wall of sound at times and it was hard to hear and discern what was going on.

Most of the cast was great. But not all of them are necessarily better than their 1984 Lynch counterparts. e.g. I thought the new Lady Jessica was played rather flat... lacked the emotional range that Francesca Annis had.

user name checks out

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    user name checks out
    about which part??

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I know absolutely nothing about this franchise whatsoever which makes it hard to want to bother trying to watch it. I am the polar opposite of Inzane. Or maybe I am just Inzane in the membrane and should give it a go?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Sounds to me like I'll be disappointed with the "ending" and should just wait until part 2 comes out to watch them both.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

I know nothing about Dune but i have been told i must see it so i am going to Imax tonight at 7. Will report back.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Take earplugs
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post

No aspect of the Lynch film is superior to the DV film. No acting, no worm appearances, Rebecca Ferguson was great as Jessica.

I loved it. I am no movie buff but that really checked a lot of boxes, almost makes me want to pick up the books to see what happens next rather than waiting years for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Take earplugs
    It was loud but thankfully i've ruined my hearing enough over the years with loud music that i don't think any further damage was done.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    I loved it. I am no movie buff but that really checked a lot of boxes, almost makes me want to pick up the books to see what happens next rather than waiting years for the sequel.

It was loud but thankfully i've ruined my hearing enough over the years with loud music that i don't think any further damage was done.
    To be fair the first book is probably the single best science fiction novel ever written. My opinion...but not an uncommon one

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about this franchise whatsoever which makes it hard to want to bother trying to watch it. I am the polar opposite of Inzane. Or maybe I am just Inzane in the membrane and should give it a go?
    Give it a go while it's still on good screens. Beautiful pictures, beautiful sound.

But if you are more like ADHD Marvel movies kind of person, you'll get bored.

For those that didn't like it, what did you think about something like Blade Runner 2049, another Villeneuve film. Many called it a sci-fi classic and better than the original, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    For those that didn't like it, what did you think about something like Blade Runner 2049, another Villeneuve film. Many called it a sci-fi classic and better than the original, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.
    It was amazing. But I'm a huge DV fanboi.

BR 2049 was pretty great, but NOT better than the original. IMHO.

*edit. sorry I didn't notice the first part of your question. I liked Dune AND BR 2049.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Visually stunning but his pace on story is much too slow in today's ADHD world.

Arrival is still DV's best film IMHO. Mostly because it's not an existing IP and you didn't expect what's coming. Also very Nolan-ish.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Visually stunning but his pace on story is much too slow in today's ADHD world.

Arrival is still DV's best film IMHO. Mostly because it's not an existing IP and you didn't expect what's coming. Also very Nolan-ish.
    Arrival was existing IP.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Arrival was existing IP.
    I guess I should have said sequel/prequel/reboot.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Was there like 3 other movies I was supposed to watch before I watched this to be able to enjoy it fully or something?

A lot of epic for very little explanation…
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Was there like 3 other movies I was supposed to watch before I watched this to be able to enjoy it fully or something?

A lot of epic for very little explanation…
    Books help

It’s about the first half of the first book.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast