Quantcast
Nissan 400z - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan 400z

Maybe I'm out of touch with the market these days but that seems very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As predicted no match for the B58/ZF8 combination. That Mustang though. The Mach 1 is basically as GT-350 with the Coyote engine so maybe not surprising.
    I learned how fast the Ram TRX is in this video. Big props to the 1991 GMC Cyclone too!

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Maybe I'm out of touch with the market these days but that seems very expensive.
    For what it’s worth, those are similar prices to what the Z32 300ZX cost on release (in 1990 dollars though). $45k-ish for the NA, and $55k-ish for the TT.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Someone brought up another thread about Nissan being trash so probably good timing for this post. Looks like Nissan neutered the engine a bit with ECU nannies to ensure the engine and clutch last through the warranty period. Jason starts talking about this at the 5:00 mark. Just a few highlights as this is the stuff that early reviewers didn't disclose.

• Says it's not built like a BMW or Porsche to withstand heavy beating on a track.
    • Says it kills power mid-slide if you hit the limiter, resulting in an unexpected directional change and/or looping the car due to the short
      wheelbase.
    • ECU will not allow a brake stand style burnout.
    • ECU pulls power when trying to shift quickly (without flat-foot shift mode turned on) in an attempt to save the clutch.
    • Hitting the limiter cuts power significantly as opposed to modern ECU's that lets you bounce off of it.
    • ECU won't allow the engine to rev up quickly in neutral when stopped.

Some of this is not ideal but you get what you pay for. Buy cheaper car, receive a cheaper car.

My Ride
    *The First*

• Says it's not built like a BMW or Porsche to withstand heavy beating on a track.
    • Says it kills power mid-slide if you hit the limiter, resulting in an unexpected directional change and/or looping the car due to the short
      wheelbase.
    • ECU pulls power when trying to shift quickly (without flat-foot shift mode turned on) in an attempt to save the clutch.
    • Hitting the limiter cuts power significantly as opposed to modern ECU's that lets you bounce off of it.

Some of this is not ideal but you get what you pay for. Buy cheaper car, receive a cheaper car.
    Sorry, did you watch a 63 minute video about a Nissan?!!? That's like a vegan eating bacon in their closet at 3AM! LoL WtF?!!
    I turned that video off within the first minute, right when he said something about forgetting the name of Hagerty Network or whatever. Considering I have Nissan tattooed on my forehead and i named my kids Sentra & Maxima, I think that makes your behaviour strange.

Based on your synopsis, it sounds like a rev limiter that limits rev's (Le Shocking) and a variety of other nanny bullshit that stops their customers from fucking the car, all packaged in a street car that isn't a race car.
    Do they actually compare it to a BMW? Which one? The one that throws a CEL that only the dealer can turn off if you exceed 85% throttle before the cat's are deemed to be warm enough? Did they compare it to that track demon? Did they compare it to a $45k BMW (if such a thing exists)?

I trust that your synopsis is accurate and that video was not a good investment to watch.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Someone brought up another thread about Nissan being trash so probably good timing for this post. Looks like Nissan neutered the engine a bit with ECU nannies to ensure the engine and clutch last through the warranty period. Jason starts talking about this at the 5:00 mark. Just a few highlights as this is the stuff that early reviewers didn't disclose.

wheelbase.

that's really disappointing. They also mentioned ice mode which if you've ever experienced on track or autocross is an awful thing.

The ecu will get cracked and all that crap will be bypassed. Or an aftermarket ecu company will provide an ecu that is plug and play.

$45k for that thing is a steal, I can only imagine what a monster it will be with nothing more than a tune.

Ultimate new streetcar for "cheap" if it pans out, probably 500-550hp with just a tune. With the way things are going, likely the last hurrah for a basic rwd ICE stick car before hybrid/EV take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I never wanted a Supra before. After seeing a few on the road and this as an option, Supra looks great.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m not sure which I dislike more.

The Nissan or the Supra
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

I like the supra more and more as time goes by. This, as typical for a Nissan, is getting less attractive the more I learn about it.

All that programming nonsense will be super easy to bypass, but I bet when it gets turned off the car self destructs.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I like the supra more and more as time goes by. This, as typical for a Nissan, is getting less attractive the more I learn about it.

All that programming nonsense will be super easy to bypass, but I bet when it gets turned off the car self destructs.
    Agree with this, at first I didn't care for it at all. It's kinda grown on me. And it's miles better than the 400z IMO

Not sure how many people are going to tune a brand new car and lose their warranty... might as well just buy the car that's better in every way and doesn't have any of these issues.

My Ride
    ute

Did Nissan de-tune for reliability or to prep for a high performance version

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Did Nissan de-tune for reliability or to prep for a high performance version
    Probably to make a Nismo edition relevant, or to not cross compete with Q60 Red Sport?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Probably to make a Nismo edition relevant, or to not cross compete with Q60 Red Sport?
    Which thread did someone mention the RedSports eating turbo's at a horrifying rate?
    If that's true, there's nothing scarier about this car than that. Damn, I should've bought that CR mag as initial reliability is key.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Which thread did someone mention the RedSports eating turbo's at a horrifying rate?
    If that's true, there's nothing scarier about this car than that. Damn, I should've bought that CR mag as initial reliability is key.
    The turbo issues were fixed years ago. Only affected first 2 years of that engine iirc.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Damn, I should've bought that CR mag as initial reliability is key.
    Mother fuking coffee on my away flames jersey. thanks

My Ride
    *The First*

The turbo issues were fixed years ago. Only affected first 2 years of that engine iirc.
    Shit - has that thing been out 2 years, already??!
    I need to turn in my FanBoi card...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Shit - has that thing been out 2 years, already??!
    I need to turn in my FanBoi card...
    haha

It’s a good engine, I test drove the infiniti RS 400, great engine, minimal lag, but overall terrible braking and handling. People didn’t like the car so they were selling them dirt cheap back then. Our CFO picked one up and loves it because it was so cheap. They were blowing them out 15k under MSRP at the time. They already updated the turbos by then as well. Great bang for the buck.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

haha

It’s a good engine, I test drove the infiniti RS 400, great engine, minimal lag, but overall terrible braking and handling. People didn’t like the car so they were selling them dirt cheap back then. Our CFO picked one up and loves it because it was so cheap. They were blowing them out 15k under MSRP at the time. They already updated the turbos by then as well. Great bang for the buck.
    I have a friend with the RedSport in a gorgeous colour and although I haven't been in it, that engine looks incredible on paper. I wonder if his is new enough to avoid the issue.
    To me, it seemed like he got one of the first ones, but I have also noticed that time is passing at an exponential rate.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast