Quantcast
Farkas for Mayor - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Farkas for Mayor

My Ride
    Silverado

I'd take away the pension but triple councils pay. I can't understand why we think limiting councillors pay is helpful. Let's get some professionals in there to run the city. Most of the time is seems the city runs council

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

My guess is hes going to use the platform to maybe soapbox his own agenda? (I dont know what that is).

Has he been pushing specific ideas out for a long time? (and getting rejected by council)

And the whole setup desperately needs term limits - otherwise you have years-long battles and disputes with other bodies who will vote against you because, you - and not because of logic or common sense.

Get in average working citizens - perhaps same selection as jury duty? (over 35, good credit, no criminal history, etc.) - the last thing we need are politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you make a 120k+ salary (today's dollars) at the same employer over your entire career then damn right your pension should be worth a million+. I still stand by my statement that it's dumb to turn down your retirement benefits that you are entitled to. It certainly makes you look good when you're campaigning though.

If he's truly an altruistic selfless Mother Teresa that only cares about the city then i hope he wins and makes a difference. I just don't buy it right now is all.
    You get a really good pension from them if you've served one term.

That's four years. It's hard work!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    My guess is hes going to use the platform to maybe soapbox his own agenda? (I dont know what that is).

Has he been pushing specific ideas out for a long time? (and getting rejected by council)

And the whole setup desperately needs term limits - otherwise you have years-long battles and disputes with other bodies who will vote against you because, you - and not because of logic or common sense.

Get in average working citizens - perhaps same selection as jury duty? (over 35, good credit, no criminal history, etc.) - the last thing we need are politicians.
    He'll get Calgary onto the gold standard, you should totally vote for him.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I'd take away the pension but triple councils pay. I can't understand why we think limiting councillors pay is helpful. Let's get some professionals in there to run the city. Most of the time is seems the city runs council
    No. The only good that can come from any level of government is having less of it.

You don’t need a Harvard PhD and a million dollar salary to say no to city bureaucrats.

Magliocca is a perfect example of a standard Calgary politician, he has clearly never said no to anything. Starting right from the cafeteria.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I don’t think I ever said Nenshi should be mayor again. FWIW I liked him during his first term but he is way past his expiry date. I’d honestly be surprised if he ran again.

It’s laughable that Conservatives think turning down a measly pension is doing something for the taxpayers. It’s not even a drop in the bucket. Never leave money on the table especially when it’s part of your employment benefits. But if he truly did it for the good of Calgary’s balance sheet, why bring it up as one of the first things on your campaign video. Reminds me of people who post their donation receipts to social media.
    It's a bit of grand standing and it's going to be tough to go against the grain like that against government employees' sweet DB pension.

Once upon a time, government jobs are supposed to pay less in exchange for DB pension. But I don't think that's the case today but I really doubt any single politicians can make any changes to that except may be outsource more function out to private sector.

I don't think qualify professionals don't want to run for council due to pay. It's just nature of the jobs and the election process.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    It makes your Shell pension look like chump change.
    I don't think either are chump change. A Shell pension (for someone starting pre 91) for a retiree who retires in 2020 and live to 2050 will cost roughly $5M on average. And it's pegged to partner's death, not employee's death. And if we are supposed to live to 100-120, the liability is insane.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-16-2020 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Magliocca is a perfect example of a standard Calgary politician, he has clearly never said no to anything. Starting right from the cafeteria.
    LMAO. Love it.
    I don't condone fat shaming, but I love fat jokes, especially to people who deserve it.

Where can I donate?

Wait, now who is going to be my councillor? Does he have a son?

- - - Updated - - -

If it costs money, he votes against it
    He voted for the 14 new communities, so he’s as wasteful as they come.

He just pushes to save a few pennies to placate the idiots while he pushes for wasting dollars, as they say. He’s a populist career politician, nothing more. Ward 11 gets a new councillor which is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Joey Maggs was one of Farkas’ few allies in council, which says it all, really.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 09-16-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Ward 11, had Magliocca fingers

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    He voted for the 14 new communities, so he’s as wasteful as they come.

He just pushes to save a few pennies to placate the idiots while he pushes for wasting dollars, as they say. He’s a populist career politician, nothing more. Ward 11 gets a new councillor which is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Joey Maggs was one of Farkas’ few allies in council, which says it all, really.
    As Nenshi has learnt, you don't ever go against the big builders.

Sign up for https://www.commonsensecalgary.com/ Mayor poll to attempt to stop the vote splitting that goes on year after year.

As we've seen in past elections, one of the biggest challenges we will face next year is vote-splitting.
    For too long, left-wing council candidates have pretended to be fiscal conservatives for a few months at election time, only to return to their usual tax-and-spend agenda as soon as they're elected.
    And for too long, conservatives have split their votes amongst multiple candidates, letting those left-wing candidates slip through the middle and control council.

To this end, we are planning to conduct independent polling on declared, prospective, and rumoured candidates for Mayor.
    The poll results will be publicly released so all Calgarians can see which candidates are best-positioned to implement reforms at City Hall and how to avoid splitting their vote.

If we want to work together effectively next year, we need to act now to get organized.

Oh great, proto-party-politics in municipal elections.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    LMAO. Love it.
    I don't condone fat shaming, but I love fat jokes, especially to people who deserve it.
    I don't condone shaming of any kind, but your tax dollars subsidized his body fat so it is ok.

My Ride
    Silverado

didn' druh have a relative run against her to help split the vote?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Sign up for https://www.commonsensecalgary.com/ Mayor poll to attempt to stop the vote splitting that goes on year after year.

As we've seen in past elections, one of the biggest challenges we will face next year is vote-splitting.
    For too long, left-wing council candidates have pretended to be fiscal conservatives for a few months at election time, only to return to their usual tax-and-spend agenda as soon as they're elected.
    And for too long, conservatives have split their votes amongst multiple candidates, letting those left-wing candidates slip through the middle and control council.

To this end, we are planning to conduct independent polling on declared, prospective, and rumoured candidates for Mayor.
    The poll results will be publicly released so all Calgarians can see which candidates are best-positioned to implement reforms at City Hall and how to avoid splitting their vote.

If we want to work together effectively next year, we need to act now to get organized.
    I actually like vote splitting.

It caters to the fringes way less.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

didn' druh have a relative run against her to help split the vote?
    That is the word around the water cooler, last 2 elections
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    ute

Does municipal politics require a low IQ, or does it just appear that way?

Why can't we attract competent people to do the job? It's entirely populated by people who couldn't hack it in a legit business environment.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Only municipal?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    That is the word around the water cooler, last 2 elections
    Who's the relative? Kanye?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Only municipal?
    Municipal has taken it to an artform.

I'd think that landing in municipal government or staffing would be the equivalent of an aspiring actor ending up in dinner theater.

Legitimate Businessmen tend to pull strings behind the scenes in their social club (great Manhattan's at that place) rather than get directly into politics.

The sales pitch tends to be lacking.

"How would you like to take a pay cut and have to pander to the general public all the time?"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Can we elect a rabbit Mayor?

For the same reason we should have a rabbit as Pope.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast