Quantcast
Racing Simulator Setup - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Simulator Setup

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You seem to get bored of cars at an insane pace (and I thought I had car ADHD ). Based on that I would recommend you pick up a used G29/T150 wheel, used Playseat and a used PS4, then grab a copy of F1 2020. If after a few months you're still passionate about it then you can upgrade.

IMHO a Thurstmaster T300 wheel & T3PA pedals are the best of the "cheap" setups, if you've got the room grab a proper cockpit as the flex of a Playseat can get old fast, as for TV's get a 4K with 120Hz.

Making the jump up to PC & iRacing is a big step up, you'll need a fairly powerful PC and either a triple monitor, ultra-wide monitor or some VR goggles, either way it adds at least $2500 to your sim build costs. If you just want to play F1 or NFS then I think it's safe to say a PS4/5 and TV is more for you. The jump to a PC and iRacing is more than just the extra cost, it's far more involved and time consuming. And when it comes to PC/iRacing the sky is the limit, places like the Race Room have sims that are well into the 5 figures if you want to see what a high-end full motion rig can be like.

I've got a pretty good rig as far is PS4 rigs go and the only reason I haven't made the jump to PC & iRacing yet is there's a good group of guys (a couple beyond members too) who I race with weekly.
    Good advice. A Thrustmaster setup with a proper seat will be around $1300-1500 to your door. The Logitech setup on sale with a more basic seat may be $500 I think.

Iracing is an interesting point of discussion, they are very good at hoovering money in the long term. They have started to retire some old cars and introduce new racing series so you have to buy new cars. Anything outside of the rookie class and you will be spending several hundred dollars on new cars and tracks over the course of a year.

While you don't need a top end PC to run it, you certainly should budget around $1200-1500 minimum for the PC. As long as you don't get too motion sick I wouldn't spend the money on triple monitors, just get a single monitor with a VR headset. In the scheme of it a middle of road VR headset is cheaper than 2 extra monitors.

So, yeah, PC iracing with VR, budget $4-6k and that's like middle of the road on everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to state the obvious, it's quite the investment, and I don't spend nearly the time on my rig as I would like. Everything seems to get in the way. I tend to spend more time in it in the winter, more to keep sharp for next season.

You will also find it is easier to find friends playing on PS4/Xbox compared to Iracing.

My Ride
    This and that.

So thanks for the input - albeit a bit late. When I am want something..I sort of want it right away so patience takes a back seat usually at those times.

I ordered the setup yesterday.

I got the GTR rig with the TV mount included for more immersive experience as I'd like to mount the TV on the rig itself.

I ordered a 50" (figured that's big enough since it'll be rig mounted) Samsung 4K LED TV. It's a middle ground one but I read a lot of reviews and it's rated highly for games.

I then ordered the G29 wheel and pedals set as well. I already have a PS4 from way too long ago and F1 2020 actually that I never played as I found it super hard with my regular remote and maybe an actual wheel will change that. Plus I am looking more forward to playing other regular racing games with it like NFS Heat (that I have) and whatever else I will be able to find that is good.

I don't do online so I don't care about online gaming with others. The seat is a 4-5 week delivery though so it's gonna suck waiting for it to come, everything else is relatively right away.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 11-23-2020 at 11:07 PM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    So thanks for the input - albeit a bit late. When I am want something..I sort of want something so patience takes a back seat usually at those times.

I ordered the setup yesterday.
    Jesus man, you made your original post yesterday

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

The is the comfort rig, so far so good lol

Name:  C952ADF0-FBEE-476E-8E99-B8433073F7D4.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  52.3 KB

My Ride
    This and that.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus man, you made your original post yesterday
    Haha yes. Patience isn't always one of my virtues. The thing is I came close to pulling the trigger back in the summer as well and talked myself out of it as it's likely going to just sit there most of the time so this time around I just knew I want it. Did fair bit of research online in terms of rig mounted tv or a stand along tv on a tv stand and mostly all said the former would be more immersive, which makes sense.

I am building a dedicated games room in the basement so this will go in there and I will also put a couple of recliners in there down the line so I can play other games by just reeling away the racing seat and clearing the line to the rig mounted TV.

My Ride
    V167

Which gtr setup did you get? I see a gts f one and the other is Pro.

Ive been eyeing them as well. I figure it's less clutter having the dedicated TV mounted to the rig rather than sitting on a table.

My Ride
    This and that.

I went with the GT model. Thought it's at a great price point. Wish it was black though but maybe @03ozwhip can powder coat it. Lol..kidding.

https://gtrsimulator.com/product/gt-model/

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    The is the comfort rig, so far so good lol

Name:  C952ADF0-FBEE-476E-8E99-B8433073F7D4.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  52.3 KB
    I also enjoy the Poang, velocity racer and G920 life.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I also enjoy the Poang, velocity racer and G920 life.
    Haha, I’m big for a racing chair so it’s pretty ideal.

My Ride
    changes every year

I went with the GT model. Thought it's at a great price point. Wish it was black though but maybe @03ozwhip can powder coat it. Lol..kidding.

https://gtrsimulator.com/product/gt-model/
    Lol it can be taken apart, might fit haha

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Decided to take the plunge a month ago. Bought a G920 and the Xbox game (at full price) with the intention of hooking up to my computer monitor. Turns out it won't work with my monitor (resolution) and my desktop was too thick for the clamps. Fuck. Returned it all in a huff. Find out a little later that I can make remove part of the clamps to make it bigger. Fml.

Today, I forget I had a $55 gift card. F1 is for sale on Steam for $40. Now that I know I can get the wheel base to fit, I decide to jump in again. Buy it all. Except this time, G920 is on sale for Black Friday at $300. I save about $150.

Get home, hook it all up..... G920 isn't compatible on PC with F1 2020. There's a sliver of hope in a firmware/driver update (though it's apparently hit or miss according to what the Internet says).

There's supposed to be a fix if you're computer savvy enough, but I know shit about computers (clearly) and the solution involves Linux which, again, is far beyond my level of comprehension.

Anybody else have an issue like this and know what they're doing?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Decided to take the plunge a month ago. Bought a G920 and the Xbox game (at full price) with the intention of hooking up to my computer monitor. Turns out it won't work with my monitor (resolution) and my desktop was too thick for the clamps. Fuck. Returned it all in a huff. Find out a little later that I can make remove part of the clamps to make it bigger. Fml.

Today, I forget I had a $55 gift card. F1 is for sale on Steam for $40. Now that I know I can get the wheel base to fit, I decide to jump in again. Buy it all. Except this time, G920 is on sale for Black Friday at $300. I save about $150.

Get home, hook it all up..... G920 isn't compatible on PC with F1 2020. There's a sliver of hope in a firmware/driver update (though it's apparently hit or miss according to what the Internet says).

There's supposed to be a fix if you're computer savvy enough, but I know shit about computers (clearly) and the solution involves Linux which, again, is far beyond my level of comprehension.

Anybody else have an issue like this and know what they're doing?
    G920 should be compatible with PC, don't see why it wouldn't work. Stupid question but I think on my old G29 there was a toggle switch between PC and PS4 modes is there something similar on the G920?

My Ride
    Grimace

G920 should be compatible with PC, don't see why it wouldn't work. Stupid question but I think on my old G29 there was a toggle switch between PC and PS4 modes is there something similar on the G920?
    Yeah, I would think so. Worked fine on 2018 and 2019 but I only have 2020 on Xbox not PC. G920 has no switch, just plug in and go.

My Ride
    This and that.

So setup is coming along, though I’ve hit a hurdle after hurdle since I’ve had all the items for the past couple of days. First the rig came with absolutely crappy instructions and was a pain to put together. I had to use my engineer cousin’s assistance to figure out a little portion of it and he was busy for a few days.

Now next hurdle is how the tv will mount to the rig as the holes on the part that came with the rig do not match holes behind the tv so I am thinking I need one of those wall mounts but something that will fit the rig mount portion as well. If anyone has any ideas I could use the help.

But anyway that’s how it looks so far.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 12-07-2020 at 01:22 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

So setup is coming along, though I’ve hit a hurdle after hurdle since I’ve had all the items for the past couple of days. First the rig came with absolutely crappy instructions and was a pain to put together. I had to use my engineer cousin’s assistance to figure out a little portion of it and he was busy for a few days.

Now next hurdle is how the tv will mount to the rig as the holes on the part that came with the rig do not match holes behind the tv so I am thinking I need one of those wall mounts but something that will fit the rig mount portion as well. If anyone has any ideas I could use the help.

Is this tv too big? Noticed this on the product page, so the vesa dimensions might be for something smaller maybe?
    Monitor Mount: VESA standard compliant (MAX 37 inches)

My Ride
    This and that.

It is a 50" Samsung 4K TV. I had messaged them on Instagram and inquired if a 55" TV would fit and they had said yes. I ended up going size smaller with 50".

My Ride
    Grimace

Maybe something like this would work?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Husky-Mounts-U...dp/B07771JFVP/
    Looks like 100x100 on the stand but tv is probably 200x200.

My Ride
    This and that.

Hmm thanks for posting that. It might work indeed. I was thinking of getting a regular wall mount to see if that will work but this might be a better idea. I will order it and see I guess.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 12-02-2020 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

I would run triples before running a big screen tv, even an ultra wide is a better choice. 16:9 kind of limits your ability to look into corners, check mirrors, etc.

Ideally just get VR. I rarely race on my 32:9 screen after getting an index.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    95B

I am surprised that you didn't go with this one,
    https://www.playseatstore.com/playse...otorsport.html

and this,
    https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-w...formula-carbon
    Last edited by ganesh; 12-03-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast