Quantcast
Halloween 2020: Trick-or-Treating Discussion - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Are you going to hand out candy this year?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no major changes

30 28.04%
  • Yes, but setting up differently

20 18.69%
  • No, because Covid

31 28.97%
  • No, pretending I'm not home (like usual)

26 24.30%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween 2020: Trick-or-Treating Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, you are confident there will be an extreme jump in active cases within one week after Halloween?
    Nope. Probably wont change much given overall behavior is poor anyways lmao

But my point is: Why put your child and others at risk? Just like drunk driving probably wont kill you or anyone. But when you do, youll can yourself if it was worth it. Being socially irresponsible or ignorant is the same as drunk driving.

Look at how Asia has reversed the outbreaks. Most people are aware of the risks and thinks about themselves and others.

second thought: fuck it, go do whatever you like and get sick and maybe kill off a friend or family member
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Isn't this a pagan ritual anyway? Draw a pentagram in your basement, light some candles, and call it a day. Free candy are for pervs.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    Nope. Probably wont change much given overall behavior is poor anyways lmao

But my point is: Why put your child and others at risk? Just like drunk driving probably wont kill you or anyone. But when you do, youll can yourself if it was worth it. Being socially irresponsible or ignorant is the same as drunk driving.

Look at how Asia has reversed the outbreaks. Most people are aware of the risks and thinks about themselves and others.

second thought: fuck it, go do whatever you like and get sick and maybe kill off a friend or family member
    Oh, enough with the hyperbole. All this pandemic cheerleading might have been hot a few months ago, but people are getting tired of the chicken little routine, even if it makes you feel better. Stay home and don't go out if that's what makes you happy.

How many times have you gone and gotten groceries, gotten take out, picked up something from a store? Walking around outside with masks on is going to carry less risk than any of the indoor activities people have been partaking in. If people are really worried, set aside the candy for a few days; although I doubt many people are doing that with their groceries after they visit a busy store and collect food and packages that have been pawed through.
    Last edited by FraserB; 10-07-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I feel like the Halloween house parties that will be happening (oh, they will be occurring especially being a Saturday) is going to make the cases jump up.

Trick or treating, probably not so much but I never really cared for it in the first place.
    I feel like my kid would have way more fun having a stay-at-home Halloween where they get spoiled with lots of fun activities and all the sweets and food they can eat.
    I get the whole experience Halloween thing, but one year isn't going to harm anyone's childhood experience.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Trick or treating is less dangerous than getting a haircut. And WAAAAY less dangerous than having a party at your own house with people from outside yiur household.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Trick or treating is less dangerous than getting a haircut. And WAAAAY less dangerous than having a party at your own house with people from outside yiur household.
    This. And haircut is way less fun without the chit chat.

My Ride
    *The First*

I wish Halloween was outside so we could feel safer about it.
    Oh, Halloween is outside.

My Ride
    ute

Why do you say this?

There is individual risk, and then there is population level risk.

My Ride
    Silverado

my 2 yo is in daycare with like 20 kids. for sure her going to stop by a few neighbours houses on halloween is way less risky.. For her anyways, maybe not the neighbours lol.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Why do you say this?

There is individual risk, and then there is population level risk.
    Let's use the house party as an example. Say my family of 4 invites 2 other families of 4 over for a party lasting 2 hours. So those 12 people will be in close proximity to each other, and sharing food and serving utensils (because every party has food) and nobody will be wearing masks.
    Compared to my family of 4, visiting say 20 neighborhood house doorsteps, where we will be within 2m of those 20 individuals for around 45 seconds each time, receiving wrapped food that isn't eaten right away, and the kids will be wearing masks, and I assume the adults at the doors will have about a 50% masking rate.

Am I off base that the house party is wildly more dangerous? If I'm wrong about that, then I clearly have zero understanding of how this virus is transmitted.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

No doubt on the severity and risk. But my point is: is it necessary to go trickortreating? Comeon... grocery shopping is a necessity and I assume the adults (maybe I am wrong looking at the NA figures) will take more precautions in sanitizing hands.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Totally true. Reducing the number and frequency of all activities is a good way to reduce your overall risk. I still do click-and-collect and I swear it's not because I'm lazy, but it's a legit risk reduction measure.

My Ride
    ute

Let's use the house party as an example. Say my family of 4 invites 2 other families of 4 over for a party lasting 2 hours. So those 12 people will be in close proximity to each other, and sharing food and serving utensils (because every party has food) and nobody will be wearing masks.
    Compared to my family of 4, visiting say 20 neighborhood house doorsteps, where we will be within 2m of those 20 individuals for around 45 seconds each time, receiving wrapped food that isn't eaten right away, and the kids will be wearing masks, and I assume the adults at the doors will have about a 50% masking rate.

Am I off base that the house party is wildly more dangerous? If I'm wrong about that, then I clearly have zero understanding of how this virus is transmitted.
    I'm not saying people are right or wrong or going into Karen mode - and I don't think we actually really know how to quantify these things.

But you can look at these things as (probability of transmission)x(frequency) = (transmission rate of activity). Halloween might by lower on probability of transmission, but it would be very high on the frequency of interaction. A dinner party would almost 100% give you transmission if one person is infected, but it is a low probability that your dinner party guest is infected. It is almost a 100% certainty that at least one trick or treater visiting your house has been exposed or is infected. Now this person is going around to every house in the neighbourhood (and everyone is going to their house). It is exactly the networked activity that keeps epidemiologists up at night. For what? So kids can eat paraffin masquerading as chocolate?

I don't get it, but that's me.

I'm buying my kids Switch Lites as compensation and telling them Covid sucks.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nah, don't worry about Halloween. We'll be f'd after Thanksgiving anyway.

As long as everyone keep social distancing and mask wearing, it's no better or worse than a grocery trip doing trick or treating.

Partying indoor is more of a concern but it's not like that's not happening right now anyway and Thanksgiving would have gave us tons of that.

Now I don't think we'll see Halloween like this for a while tho.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Two weeks later, new opinions?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Nope, still happening.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Getting my girl together with her cousins and taking them out to Trick-or-treat. The weather seems all over the place. Hopefully it warms up a bit

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Having a halloween party at a friends house with less than 15 people. Unsure if we will go out trick or treating or just let kids find candy in the house or garden.

My Ride
    party car

Still hosting a Trunk N' Treat! Posted in the event thread - come see us this weekend
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Here is the real concern with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Well, we all knows it will be a shit show after thanksgiving.

We all knows there are people trying to spread this intentionally to prove their narratives.

So I'm not surprised.
    People are nuts, people are even more nuts this year. Takes only one intentional shithead candy taker or candy giver to fuck it all up.

Meanwhile, I’m not partaking either way, as usual. Giant dogs don’t do well with constant noise from the door... nor the sticky fingers of small children

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast