Thread: Vehicle Safety Checkstops

My Ride
    Silverado

Can we message and post about these? Wonder if 660 reports them

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So on my truck which has a factory 2" body lift if I had factory mudflaps on the truck they would not cover 1/2 the tire as it should.

Who should be the diligent one? As Fraser said is this on the driver or dealership?

When it comes to things like this so much is left up to interpretation of the inspector.
    There was a thread here from like 15 years ago where people were getting ticketed for exactly that. Dealer should know better but shit happens.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

So on my truck which has a factory 2" body lift if I had factory mudflaps on the truck they would not cover 1/2 the tire as it should.

Who should be the diligent one? As Fraser said is this on the driver or dealership?

When it comes to things like this so much is left up to interpretation of the inspector.
    It's definitely on the user, no different than Tint.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I mean, not surprised they’re lowering the threshold for multinova, gotta do whatever it takes to bring in revenue. I am surprised by a ticket for not having windshield washer fluid. That’s low haha.

For those that missed it it’s in that CBC article.

Edit - mother fucker fake news. Should’ve known better.
    I have actually had a ticket for a dirty windshield. Ran out of WWF a couple days before, it really wasn't even that dirty. This was way back in 2000.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Truck dealers know the law. Mostly they don't care, and neither do the truck buyers. Some folks opt for mud flaps from the dealership, or immediately upon purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Correct but did you also see where they can give you a warning about mud flaps? How many vehicles do those come on or not on for that matter?

I agree that stupid shit that should be noticed bu anyone who pays attention to their car should know, but if they are going to get nit picky or make weird judgement calls.. I have issues with that.
    Name:  ticket.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  51.4 KB

It's not just warning. I got the actual ticket that I had to pay on a completely stock and unmodified F-150 that I bought brand new at the dealer. I thought it was so funny and petty, I pinned it to the wall in my office as a conversation piece.

BTW, I still don't have mudflaps on my truck.
    Last edited by spikerS; 09-22-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by extraslow View Post
    some truck dealers know the law. But even if they did they wouldn’t care.
    ftfy

I’m actually pretty ok with police doling out more tickets for tasteless aftermarket equipment modifications.

They should just station an officer outside of every Canadian tire.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Name:  ticket.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  51.4 KB

It's not just warning. I got the actual ticket that I had to pay on a completely stock and unmodified F-150 that I bought brand new at the dealer. I thought it was so funny and petty, I pinned it to the wall in my office as a conversation piece.

I guess maybe part of driver training is mandatory TSA reading.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

this ticket isn't from the TSA, but part of the vehicle equipment reg. TBH, I had no idea that this was a thing until I got the ticket. I immediately called my dealer and said I had just got a funny ticket, and the first thing out of their mouth was "no mud flaps?" so they definitely know about it, but sell them without them anyways.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Dealers DGAF. It's not surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

this ticket isn't from the TSA, but part of the vehicle equipment reg. TBH, I had no idea that this was a thing until I got the ticket. I immediately called my dealer and said I had just got a funny ticket, and the first thing out of their mouth was "no mud flaps?" so they definitely know about it, but sell them without them anyways.
    How much was that ticket? I can't make it out on my potato screen.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

$78.00
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Exactly like tinting. I got a tinting ticket before on my brand new Q50 from dealer. It was their showroom model and already tinted - not an option I added to the purchase.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You can’t even get people to read their own insurance policies, what makes you think they’ll read and be able to understand the TSA?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

CPS - To Serve and Collect

Gotta get back to pre-covid revenue somehow.

You know that Alberta is in the midst of a long term pandemic of chipped and cracked windshields, it would be nice if you'd throw a mas.. um... mudflaps on your truck to help stop the spread.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    It has been a mandate from the Alberta Government for years. It is well documented in the Alberta Traffic Safety Plan that the Safe Vehicles initiative is something the AB government wants police agencies to enforce.

Under section 66 of the TSA a peace officer can perform a vehicle inspection. They can also direct the vehicle to be taken somewhere for an inspection. If a vehicle is deemed unsafe a peace officer can seize the registration and licence plate and can make an application to the AB government to have the vehicle branded with an "unsafe" status where it can no longer be registered or be on the road until it passes a salvage inspection (or the inspecting officer can request the status be lifted once repairs are proven to be made).
    Guess the yearly inspections like back east will be coming soon.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Province get a third, cops get a third after admin cost. Do your part to tackle the deficit and hold off PST?

For the record, I already donated my share this year.

My Ride
    V167

This shit was rampant in Vancouver over the past few years with a few police officers making it their mission to fuck up car enthusiasts days.
    Car lowered at all? Impound.
    Wheels flush? Impound.
    Aftermarket exhaust? Impound.
    Stock M3/M4 getting pulled over and ticketed for aftermarket exhaust etc.
    The latest episode was a bone stock 911 being pulled over and ticketed for excessive noise. The owner of the vehicle is a Porsche club member, and they took the issue up the ranks and ultimately winning at the end.

https://driving.ca/porsche/auto-news...ed-for-tickets

The final result:

VANCOUVER SOUND TESTING WIN!

Dear PCA Canada West Region members,

My good friends Joel Parker, who served as our club’s past president, and Todd Coupal our club’s Safety Chair asked me to share my experience with you. As the son of a career police officer, I salute the important work our police perform to safeguard our communities. I love Vancouver and cherish the peace and tranquility in our beloved city.

I consider myself very fortunate to enjoy cars like my Porsches. However, a few months ago while driving my 911 Targa 4S type 991.1, I experienced this unpleasant incident: https://youtu.be/3uj1-anjA5A The officer conducted a roadside noise test on my car and recorded decibel (dB) readings of 103 dB in normal and 104 dB in sports mode - exceeding Vancouver’s noise limits of 83 dB. Information gathered from the Police Records Information Management Environment (PRIME) occurrence file, violation ticket and notice and order unanimously confirmed that the officer used this noise test information in his investigation of the noise violation and from it issued forth the Notice and Order.

I am grateful towards the leadership of the Vancouver Police Department Traffic Section for reviewing my violation ticket. However, it was inconvenient to comply with the Notice and Order (Box 2 that required a full vehicle inspection). I visited Porsche Vancouver (as directed by the officer) and then the Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) inspection facility at Weissach. Following their respective inspections, they unequivocally confirmed that my Porsche Targa was; completely stock, operating in factory specifications, completely unmodified without any visual, mechanical or electrical faults, damage or any defects. The officer’s subjective determination that my car required a rather serious box 2 full inspection was unfounded - it wasted a lot of my time and cost me $160 for the inspection.

While I was at the CVSE inspection facility, I instructed them to perform a noise test in accordance to ISO5130 (sound testing procedure) on my car using a calibrated instrument. They measured 78 dB to 82.8 dB in regular mode and 80 dB to 83.1 dB in sports mode. After taking into account that ISO5130 procedures clearly states, “caution should be exercised when measuring rear-and mid engine vehicles because engine and cooling fan noise can prevent accurate measurement of exhaust noise”, my car was safely compliant with Vancouver’s noise limits.

The 20 dB noise discrepancies between the CVSE inspection facility’s noise measurements (conducted in controlled conditions) and the officer’s noise measurements (conducted roadside) on a windy and noisy bridge (60 dB to 76 dB ambient noise) made me question the officer’s subjective abilities and his testing methodology. 20 decibels is not insignificant because sound is measured on a logarithmic scale rather than a linear scale - an increase in 10 decibels represents double the sound for human ears while 20 decibels is quadruple the sound to human ears. 100 dB would be equivalent to a 707 jet taking off at 305 meters at YVR.

I shared my concerns with the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner (OPCC) and after their independent investigation they concluded the following:

“The OPCC is of the view there is a misapplication by the Vancouver Police Department Traffic Section of the authorities granted under the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations causing cost and considerable inconveniences to members of the public. It is also unclear what practices are being followed by other police agencies. Therefore, the OPCC has made a recommendation to the Provincial Police Services Division to review this practice, whether through their office or through the appropriate Ministry, related to Division 25 and the issuance of Notice and Orders to determine whether additional clarity is required to assist departments with the interpretation and application of this regulation.”

The Vancouver Police and other police agencies apply ISO5130 testing procedures for their roadside noise tests. https://www.unece.org/…/wp…/ECE-TRAN...-45-inf01e.pdf
    Despite their officer’s best efforts, the OPCC’s investigation demonstrated the enormous challenges and difficulties of proper application of this test on the roadside. On my case alone, the OPCC discovered that the officer “missed numerous testing procedure steps.” Having reviewed ISO5130 with CVSE inspectors and sound experts, it became clear that some of the ISO5130’s critical testing procedures are virtually impossible to perform on the roadside in the real world. Some examples include:
    1. Ensuring the testing site was suitable as per the requirements of ISO5130;

2. Determination of the meteorological conditions prior to the test and taking the conditions into account, specifically wind noise;

3. Conducting testing procedures correctly, notably adhering to a caution listed at the bottom of page 3 of ISO5130 which stated: Caution should be exercised when measuring rear-and mid-engine vehicles (like Porsche 911, Boxster, Cayman, 918 and Carrera GT models) because engine and cooling fan noise can prevent accurate measurement of exhaust noise”

It takes a community to help a community. I have tremendous gratitude towards the OPCC for their investigation and landmark recommendation. Thank you to our Porsche Club members for all your generous advise - Quora with cars and coffee. I am also thankful towards Inspector Earl Andersen and Staff Sergeant Kevin Bernardin from the Vancouver Police for meeting with our community and me and for their genuine commitment to finding fair solutions. I want to thank my friend Wilkins Chung for generating an incredible amount of research. I was humbled by the support I received from friends from the police who recognized the unfairness and failings of these roadside noise tests. Your open mindedness to learn coupled with your appetite for change demonstrates how progressive our police truly are.

I sincerely hope everyone is respectful towards each other. Please allow the Provincial Police Services Division and the appropriate Ministry to review and work on improving BC’s police noise testing, directives, policies and procedures to insure fairness for all motorists. Please enjoy a wonderful summer!

Respectfully with regards,

Kevin Yeung

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast