Quantcast
Small business accountant costs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Small business accountant costs

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Default Small business accountant costs

So to give a bit of background first. I currently work as a city contractor, and part of it was I had to open a business for myself, as well as a business bank account, etc. I am strictly labor for the city and do not sell them parts, or anything of the sort. I have engaged an accountant that a friend who is in a similar position is using. I received my invoice for doing my taxes and whatnot for this tax year, and I am not sure if the costs are out of control, or in line with what it should be. Normally im the kind of guy that hits up HR block and does my usual taxes that way. What should I expect for costs of having my "business" taxes filed, as well as my personal taxes?

Any help here is appreciated.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think the range for a corporates filing is $500 to $1500 for simple companies. Obviously goes up if you are getting more complete service or more bookkeeping included.

I did look into doing my won tax filing myself, but it was surprisingly confusing, even though I don't find personal taxes confusing at all. I gave up and paid my accountant again.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    So to give a bit of background first. I currently work as a city contractor, and part of it was I had to open a business for myself, as well as a business bank account, etc. I am strictly labor for the city and do not sell them parts, or anything of the sort. I have engaged an accountant that a friend who is in a similar position is using. I received my invoice for doing my taxes and whatnot for this tax year, and I am not sure if the costs are out of control, or in line with what it should be. Normally im the kind of guy that hits up HR block and does my usual taxes that way. What should I expect for costs of having my "business" taxes filed, as well as my personal taxes?

Is it a CoC requirement for you to be incorporated? They won't contract your labour if you are a sole proprietor?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post

I think I pay $1500 for my corporations, except one which is more complicated and I pay $2500 I think?

My Ride

I'm in a similar consulting position, I pay approx $2600 a year for my business + personal accountant. Sounds like mine's on the high side

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is there a particularly large number of hours involved in filing business taxes or something?

If it takes anything less than a few days to pull together that’s not a terrible use of time.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Did you open a Corporation or Sole Proprietorship? Corp taxes are quite complicated, definitely not something to tackle on your own and yeah I’ve heard $1000-1500 range is standard.

Sole proprietor are a lot more straight forward and could be done yourself, but even if you pay an accountant should be much cheaper than a Corp return. Probably $500-1000 range.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Average corporate filing charges are $1,200 - $1,500 unless your file requires a lot more hours of bookkeeping, forms etc.

Personal ~$400-500 from a reputatable outfit. A good friend of ours worked at H&R post-retirement for something to do, and she was appalled at the level of incompetance in that place.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Is there a particularly large number of hours involved in filing business taxes or something?

If it takes anything less than a few days to pull together that’s not a terrible use of time.
    If your situation is more than very simple, then your accountant is getting paid to make decisions along the way.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    If your situation is more than very simple, then your accountant is getting paid to make decisions along the way.
    Fair enough. I just don’t really get the day to day mechanics involved I guess.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    I'm in a similar consulting position, I pay approx $2600 a year for my business + personal accountant. Sounds like mine's on the high side
    It's sounding high on this thread, but I pay around the same as you.

Own a small business, typical return includes corporate + personal (paid via dividends). First accountant charged around $1,900 for an entire year (biz/personal returns) and my new one charges around $2,600. With the mistakes and issues I had with the first, I'm happily paying the higher fee now and have no plans to change anytime soon.

I do all my own book keeping in Quickbooks. The only "bookkeeping" my accountant has to do pre-return is to add deductions for rent, automotive, and a few small transactions that I don't know how to enter myself (incentives from vendors, etc).
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Average corporate filing charges are $1,200 - $1,500 unless your file requires a lot more hours of bookkeeping, forms etc.

Personal ~$400-500 from a reputatable outfit. A good friend of ours worked at H&R post-retirement for something to do, and she was appalled at the level of incompetance in that place.
    $500??? I should tell me accountant that. It's cheaper for me to pay her than it is for me to buy a tax program :lol:

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I use an external bookkeeper throughout the year but the actual accounting fees for year end review and filing of taxes is usually just over $2K. Keep in mind that A) it's for a small business with a few employees BUT B) every thing is kept nice & clean throughout the year by the bookkeeper so I'm sure that helps lower the bill with the accountant.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    VAG products

When I was working in a firm, very simple small bus corp taxes would be around $1,500, but anything requiring extra time (book keeping, etc) was easily $2,500.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

We pay $1000 per tax season for just taxes. And this is me handing over our quick books to him so he really doesn't have to do much.
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'm in the $2200-$2500 range but I also bother the shit out of them throughout the year to help me make sure I have everything input into my journal properly on quick books and answer any other obsurd questions throughout the year. This year they also handled an EI dispute with the CRA on my behalf so I think my total bill came to $3,000 for the year. I run my own books through quickbooks
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.