Quantcast
TonyTigers PC Build - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TonyTigers PC Build

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I purchased it for $194 i think at memx before.

Anyways the Ryzen 7 3800X 8-core is on sale for $396.99 from $491.

Is it worth picking it up, I really don't want to wait another month for the new models and I don't need top of the line, will the 5000 processors really be worth the wait..

I guess this one can be compared to the 5600x?

Think i'm just going to buy it today, is it worth the money?

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compar...-ryzen-5-5600x

With that said best motherboard to go with it?
    Probably pretty similar. The 5600x will be ~20% faster per core but the 3800x has 8 cores vs 6 cores so 33% more processing power.

So 5600x will be better in single threaded things, 3800x will be better for multi-threaded applications and multi-tasking. In the end .... eh you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. With the 5600x being 299 USD it'll probably come in a hair more expensive once they give Canada a nice markup.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Probably pretty similar. The 5600x will be ~20% faster per core but the 3800x has 8 cores vs 6 cores so 33% more processing power.

So 5600x will be better in single threaded things, 3800x will be better for multi-threaded applications and multi-tasking. In the end .... eh you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. With the 5600x being 299 USD it'll probably come in a hair more expensive once they give Canada a nice markup.
    Yah don't think I'll ever use it to full capacity anyways.

Should I buy this at memx as well?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112791

The MSI B550 Tomahawk isn't on amazon it seems.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

I'd wait for the 5000 series, it shouldn't be long now. Right now is literally the worst possible time to buy PC and the discounts on the 3XXX series aren't very good considering what is coming.

Another thing you could do is buy the cheapest Ryzen CPU you can possibly find right now, and then buy the 5000 series when it's available - that way you get a working PC immediately, and you will only be out a few bucks after you sell the old CPU. With a B550/X570 board you're good to go with both.

This is a better board than that MSI B550, it's cheaper and you get the X570 chipset: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77774

Also, MSI's subsidiary company was caught scalping their own 3XXX series video cards on eBay, so fuck them.

If you're only out to save money, Ryzen 3000 will be even cheaper yet after the 5000 SKUs hit the shelves as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-13-2020 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So a question regarding cpu and mobo compatibility. I have a 2012 pc with a i7 2600K currently and it fits a 1155 socket. My current mobo is a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155.

I see on prime day there is a
    Intel BX80684I79700K Core i7-9700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores Up to 4.9 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W
    for $399. If I bought this would it fit into my mobo and is it / is it not recommended to use an existing mobo with a newer processor?

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    So a question regarding cpu and mobo compatibility. I have a 2012 pc with a i7 2600K currently and it fits a 1155 socket. My current mobo is a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155.

I see on prime day there is a
    for $399. If I bought this would it fit into my mobo and is it / is it not recommended to use an existing mobo with a newer processor?
    CPU support on that board stops a the 3XXX series. Generally speaking, Intel forces you into a new board with most CPU updates. The 9700K needs an LGA1151 socket board and a 300 series chipset (Z390, Z370, H370, B360, H310).

The 9700K is way overpriced at $399 anyway, it doesn't even have SMT and is still built on a ~7 year old architecture.

If you are getting a new CPU and MOBO, hop on the Ryzen train
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-13-2020 at 03:46 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I feel like AMD werent the new hotness for a long time, what makes them better than intel now?

I feel like AMD werent the new hotness for a long time, what makes them better than intel now?
    Just read through this thread - lots of discussion on it.

Ryzen 5000 series coming out next month-ish will be a dramatically better value proposition than anything Intel has to offer or even previous-generation Ryzen. AMD basically became relevant again in 2017 with the Ryzen 1XXX series. Now they are on the 4th iteration (5000) of the series and the third architecture redesign (second major redesign).

Coles notes:

Brand new architecture vs ~7 year old architecture
    7nm lithography vs outdated 14nm
    Better Single-core and multi-core performance
    Much better pricing (performance/dollar wise)
    PCI-4.0 support with lots of lanes (vs. PCI 3.0)
    Far more power efficient
    Better thermals

5000 series will be the last architecture on the AM4 socket, but back in 2017 AMD guaranteed 4 years of socket compatibility which they delivered on, and the last 2 generations of chipsets will be supported still.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-13-2020 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Alright I will wait for these, Im not in any hurry to buy, thought prime day might have something priced lower. I guess cyber monday is coming up.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I'd wait for the 5000 series, it shouldn't be long now. Right now is literally the worst possible time to buy PC and the discounts on the 3XXX series aren't very good considering what is coming.

Another thing you could do is buy the cheapest Ryzen CPU you can possibly find right now, and then buy the 5000 series when it's available - that way you get a working PC immediately, and you will only be out a few bucks after you sell the old CPU. With a B550/X570 board you're good to go with both.

This is a better board than that MSI B550, it's cheaper and you get the X570 chipset: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77774

Also, MSI's subsidiary company was caught scalping their own 3XXX series video cards on eBay, so fuck them.

If you're only out to save money, Ryzen 3000 will be even cheaper yet after the 5000 SKUs hit the shelves as well.
    Yah I'm not totally into gaming (I'll minecraft a bit and GTA5 or Microsoft Flight Simulator but I really didn't want to wait another month or more just for 1 part to get a better part.

I ended up buying the 3800x and the TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) w/ DDR4, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, 802.11ac, BT 5.0, CrossFire as well though.

I think if I was to buy the 5600x it would be the same thing as the 3800x now and I'm really not worried about having the best thing, i'll also have to upgrade it anyways in a few years.

Going to try and set this up today or tomorrow, never done it so hope I don't screw it up to much.

So with the 3800x with Wraith Prism LED Cooler do I still need to figure out how to use the thermal paste? or just put it into the Motherboard?
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Yah I'm not totally into gaming (I'll minecraft a bit and GTA5 or Microsoft Flight Simulator but I really didn't want to wait another month or more just for 1 part to get a better part.

I ended up buying the 3800x and the TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) w/ DDR4, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, 802.11ac, BT 5.0, CrossFire as well though.

I think if I was to buy the 5600x it would be the same thing as the 3800x now and I'm really not worried about having the best thing, i'll also have to upgrade it anyways in a few years.

Going to try and set this up today or tomorrow, never done it so hope I don't screw it up to much.

So with the 3800x with Wraith Prism LED Cooler do I still need to figure out how to use the thermal paste? or just put it into the Motherboard?
    You'll be fine, just follow a YouTube video from a good source - building a PC is way easier than people think if you just take it slow and follow directions. (Just don't watch the Verge PC Build video LOL). AMD CPUs have little arrows that you just line up for the socket and it's harder to bend the pins compared to an Intel CPU installation.

Yes, the Wraith Prisim coolers have pre-applied thermal paste, but the paste is generic and poor quality. Most people remove it and use their own. The best thermal paste you can buy is this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermal-Grizzl...e-b06387f8bcf1

Spread it evenly and thinly across the entire surface area, taking care not to get any on the MOBO or surrounding areas - the goal is simply to fill in the tiny imperfections of the two contact plates. When you tighten the cooler down onto the CPU, do it in stages like a car wheel so you get the most even pressure possible.

To get the old paste off, gently scrape off the bulk of it and then use 99% isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter (or something similar and lint-free) and the residue will come right off.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-14-2020 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    One begins to wonder if TonyTiger is really building a PC.
    It rather venerating and splended that one is putting so much thought in ones day and to write with such ardor to create such doubt if I will build a PC.
    To build or not to build... Indeed.

As per some of the great writeups and discussion on this thread. I am taking the advice and holding off till the next chip is released in November.
    I also had a look online. The consensus not to build seems to be the same.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    It rather venerating and splended that one is putting so much thought in ones day and to write with such ardor to create such doubt if I will build a PC.

As per some of the great writeups and discussion on this thread. I am taking the advice and holding off till the next chip is released in November.

Haha Oh man i've been trying to build mine last night and its a bit of work doing it your first time.

I'll write up a list of things that made it more difficult i wish i knew about after I finish.

Question, which screws do I use to hold down the motherboard? I can't find screws from the motherboard.

6-32? From my research I have some of them but I don't know the exact screw I'm suppose to use or if I use different ones in different places?

I'll write up a list of things that made it more difficult i wish i knew about after I finish.

Haha Oh man i've been trying to build mine last night and its a bit of work doing it your first time.

Question, which screws do I use to hold down the motherboard? I can't find screws from the motherboard.

6-32? From my research I have some of them but I don't know the exact screw I'm suppose to use or if I use different ones in different places?

Standard mobo screws are #6–32 x 3/16″ or M3 flat head. It should be in your manual somewhere, but some manuals are pretty bad haha. Usually there are standoff screws you need to screw into the case first, then your mobo screws into those and not directly into the case - that may be causing you some confusion.

#1 most common mistake is not putting on the I/O shield before installing the mobo, and it's super annoying to fix. Some mobos now come with a fixed I/O shield but it's not super common.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Just use crazy glue if you lose a screw. Don't use duct tape as it draws too much attention. IT 101.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post

Smart move. Future you will be happy.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I haven't heard tell of a new chipset being released, could just buy a x570 board and build around that. Getting a 3000 series card any time soon isn't going to be a thing, hopefully amd handles their next gen card release properly with actual stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I haven't heard tell of a new chipset being released, could just buy a x570 board and build around that. Getting a 3000 series card any time soon isn't going to be a thing, hopefully amd handles their next gen card release properly with actual stock.
    X570 is the chipset for Ryzen 5000 and X470 works too with a BIOS update but you give up full PCI 4.0. Future Ryzen 6000+ / Zen3+ / Zen 4 will come with a new chipset and in the case of Zen 4, also a new socket.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

In order to tide @tonytiger55 over until The ryzen chip and nvidia card are in stock I am lending him my Acer gaming laptop (with a i7 and GTX 1050) so he can get going on the gaming front this winter.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    x570 is all that there will be for Zen 3 chips. When Zen 4 comes out it'll be a new socket and new chipset.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

In order to tide @tonytiger55 over until The ryzen chip and nvidia card are in stock I am lending him my Acer gaming laptop (with a i7 and GTX 1050) so he can get going on the gaming front this winter.
    Name:  62635147.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  266.7 KB

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast