Quantcast
Calgary real estate prospects - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 360 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary real estate prospects

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by extraslow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    buying a 4-plex as your own home and an investment is a questionable lifestyle choice.
    ftfy.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

My very simplistic view is for a primary residence it doesn't really matter. If housing pricing go up in the future and you sell to move, the next house is going to be that much more expensive anyway. Same for the other way, you lose money on your current home but your next home will be that much cheaper too.

We are probably down ~$80K on our current home purchased in 2017, but the one we sold is probably down ~$110K (friend just brought a similar size/condition one a few blocks away for less), so we have no regret moving. We are also seeing some of the houses we originally liked back then but out of our price range to be significantly cheaper today. Back then you can't buy a single detached brand new infill in inner city (Mount Pleasant, etc..) for <$920K. Now we are seeing so many popping up at ~$750K.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    My very simplistic view is for a primary residence it doesn't really matter. If housing pricing go up in the future and you sell to move, the next house is going to be that much more expensive anyway. Same for the other way, you lose money on your current home but your next home will be that much cheaper too.

We are probably down ~$80K on our current home purchased in 2017, but the one we sold is probably down ~$110K (friend just brought a similar size/condition one a few blocks away for less), so we have no regret moving. We are also seeing some of the houses we originally liked back then but out of our price range to be significantly cheaper today. Back then you can't buy a single detached brand new infill in inner city (Mount Pleasant, etc..) for <$920K. Now we are seeing so many popping up at ~$750K.
    Agreed generally, up or down, if you live through it then there is no difference. However, (obviously), having a lower mortgage value is always going to be better. I had to explain this to my wife yesterday LOL. Hence why we are looking to rent, wait as long as possible, or buy cheap first home/duplex in a good area to weather it out.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

, if you really want to bet on real estate, what you want is the MOST expensive place you can get. Leverage to the max baby. That's how you get juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Buy in Victoria for the MAD appreciation.

My Ride
    NC1

The great leader is gonna come for your primary home profits. Just a matter of time lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    The great leader is gonna come for your primary home profits. Just a matter of time lol
    Supreme Leader Kim?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Sadly not wrong, iirc cmhc is funding some research into this

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...-reckless.html
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Coupled with the inheritance tax the libs just floated out there.... yaaaaayyy

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Having and accumulating wealth is evil. Make less, spend more, save nothing.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Having and accumulating wealth is evil. Make less, spend more, save nothing.
    Did you get your lottery tickets, smokes, and $12 bread and milk from the convenience store yet?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Did you get your lottery tickets, smokes, and $12 bread and milk from the convenience store yet?
    daily brother.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I am a bit curious in terms of these "flips", about how much money is actually going into them. I get that its a very challenging question just looking a a photo, but even a ballpark is interesting to me.

An Example: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ry-collingwood, asking $875k. Bought originally in November 2018 for $535. Assuming that it was all original, is it fair to say that ~300k worth of renos was done? They speak to new plumbing, electrical, windows, exterior detail, drive way, landscaping, fencing, drywall, light fixtures, doors, flooring, kitchen, appliances & new front veranda. I know that some of this stuff isn't cheap at all, i.e Landscaping/Driveway, but still seems like a steep ask.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If it was me, I'd start with the idea that they spent $50k, and/or are making over $100k profit, and work towards some middle ground from there.

No smart flipper buys a place planning to spend $300k in upgrades.

^ I know reno's can cost a lot, and quick, but like you i don't know what exactly 300k in reno's looks like. Spending $875k for 1,100 SF seems like crack money regardless of the how much they've thrown into it.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I am a bit curious in terms of these "flips", about how much money is actually going into them. I get that its a very challenging question just looking a a photo, but even a ballpark is interesting to me.

An Example: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ry-collingwood, asking $875k. Bought originally in November 2018 for $535. Assuming that it was all original, is it fair to say that ~300k worth of renos was done? They speak to new plumbing, electrical, windows, exterior detail, drive way, landscaping, fencing, drywall, light fixtures, doors, flooring, kitchen, appliances & new front veranda. I know that some of this stuff isn't cheap at all, i.e Landscaping/Driveway, but still seems like a steep ask.

Thoughts?
    There's no way that's $300k worth of improvements. Besides, based on the ask, that would make for a really terrible ROI.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not to mention anyone who bought a house just to flip cut every possible corner they could in terms of quality and labor. Expect some of that shit not to last well at all. If you are buying a house for an investment, the LAST thing you want is one with recent "upgrades" by a flipper.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Damn near 2yrs in carrying costs would destroy any sort of ROI... I wouldn’t call that one a flip per say...

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Not to mention anyone who bought a house just to flip cut every possible corner they could in terms of quality and labor. Expect some of that shit not to last well at all. If you are buying a house for an investment, the LAST thing you want is one with recent "upgrades" by a flipper.
    Exactly. Cheaper (but nice looking) flooring, cabinets, counter tops, fixtures... Lipstick on a pig.

Also bear in mind that $300 psf is a healthy amount for high end, new construction.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    ^ I know reno's can cost a lot, and quick, but like you i don't know what exactly 300k in reno's looks like. Spending $875k for 1,100 SF seems like crack money regardless of the how much they've thrown into it.
    The way they built a new front porch (looks very out of place BTW), I bet they are betting the view into Confed golf course is the selling point.

Unless something hugely structurally wrong with house, I can't see them spending more than $150K to get it into that state unless they are noobs and got royally ripped off.

May be risky but if they tear the whole thing down and built a 2000-3000sqft place on top, it may fetch a lot more given the view.

I love this one by Confed park:
    https://www.honestdoor.com/property/...-nw-calgary-ab

I think they paid $1M basically for that lot to tear the old house down.

And back on topic, for primary, buy what you like and make sure you will be happy to stay there for a long time. Moving/changing is $. Don't bother timing it. Calgary's RE prices ain't going anywhere. There isn't any psychological/miss the boat rush like GTA.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-08-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Page 2 of 360 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast