Quantcast
Calgary real estate prospects - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 357 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary real estate prospects

Lets start posting good listings on this thread for reference? The purpose of this original thread is to find a nice lot more so than the house itself.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

pheoxs's, Cjblair - thanks very much, I am not good with the details when it comes to house stuff, especially not in person, so appreciate your thoughts
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    V8s

Couldn't decide whether to put this here, or in the layoffs thread.

If my linkedin is any indication, people are starting to get a little more desperate. Over the last ~6 weeks, I've been messaged by a bunch of people from the industry/company I used to be in, many of whom seem to have been out of work for the better part of a year now, and all of whom I haven't spoken to in 4-5 years. IMO this could be (yet another) leading indicator about where Calgary's RE market is headed, as many of these people were decent earners and all of them are too young to retire. They are probably reflective of a decent cross section of our population that I expect could be headed to greener pastures outside our city/province.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

What greener pastures? Alberta still has some of the highest income to housing ratios around. Housing is even cheaper than Edmonton now... cheaper than WINDSOR!!!

Name:  40111A54-FF14-40C9-B323-CE805329D482.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  79.8 KB

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What greener pastures? Alberta still has some of the highest income to housing ratios around. Housing is even cheaper than Edmonton now... cheaper than WINDSOR!!!
    I'm 90% sure you aren't serious haha.

It doesn't matter what the income/housing ratio is if it isn't cross-referenced with other important info like the unemployment rate (i.e. the leading indicator of people leaving for other cities that actually have jobs). edit: To be specific, by greener pastures, I didn't mean cheaper houses. I meant cities where there are jobs. Can't buy a house if ya don't have a job.

That info is comical, what in re/max's crystal ball is going to be the catalyst for growth next year? Also, somehow Calgary has the worst YOY in the entire country according to that, but somehow is anticipated to grow at the same arbitrary number they applied to the rest of the country.
    Last edited by bjstare; 12-04-2020 at 09:44 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agree that there are a lot of factors. Ability to secure employment is probably #1 for the individual. But income to housing ratio is important for the market.

"lifestyle" always cracks me up. It basically means whatever you want it to mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Most of the high earning Calgarians live in a fucking dream world. Unwilling to settle for less than peak oil compensation, the reality check is it’s really not that fucking bad here. Top professionals from other Canadian cities in “regular” industries just make less than they do here, due to that spillage from O&G... ie. public relations: Calgary $100k, Toronto $80k... pricing of housing (who gives a shit about Forecast, this is housing, not a fucking RIET) staggeringly higher. Where ya gonna go to put your cost of living back in line? Winnipeg?? Second rate east coast? Cause you can’t even do better in Halifax. Jobs plentiful elsewhere??? Hahahahahahahahahaha

The sooner people get their heads out of their asses the sooner this city can recover

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most of the high earning Calgarians live in a fucking dream world. Unwilling to settle for less than peak oil compensation, the reality check is it’s really not that fucking bad here. Top professionals from other Canadian cities in “regular” industries just make less than they do here, due to that spillage from O&G... ie. public relations: Calgary $100k, Toronto $80k... pricing of housing (who gives a shit about Forecast, this is housing, not a fucking RIET) staggeringly higher. Where ya gonna go to put your cost of living back in line? Winnipeg?? Second rate east coast? Cause you can’t even do better in Halifax. Jobs plentiful elsewhere??? Hahahahahahahahahaha

The sooner people get their heads out of their asses the sooner this city can recover
    Accurate. I know people who won't "settle" for 100k jobs.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Oh, forgot to cite my research: I look at 8-20 letters of employment every god damn day. Nationwide

My Ride
    Ford F150

Where are all these vacant 100k jobs that people are refusing to settle for?
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    ute

I hate owning real estate, but right now Calgary isn't the worst place to be buying real estate. The risk of actual capital loss in a bubble bursting seems so much higher in Toronto and Vancouver. Calgary is still one of the best places in Canada to live.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Where are all these vacant 100k jobs that people are refusing to settle for?
    They aren't vacant, they get lots of applications and they get filled. The ones I'm referring to are mid-level petroleum engineering roles.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

We have a perpetual posting for one (after factoring in bonuses). Can’t seem to ever hire enough, we do pickup a few a year, but still need more

Oh... cross posted with TO office too... i for one know which city I rather be in... box in the sky vs 2000sqft... or get the 2000sqft, and commute 1.5hr each way... on (multiple) public transit at a cost that well exceeds the most heated of underground parking stalls
    Last edited by ercchry; 12-04-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That info is comical, what in re/max's crystal ball is going to be the catalyst for growth next year? Also, somehow Calgary has the worst YOY in the entire country according to that, but somehow is anticipated to grow at the same arbitrary number they applied to the rest of the country.
    I'll wait for the Calgary Herald and Sun ads... ahem... articles on the health of the city's Real Estate. They're accurate and it's always going up with minor little drops but ultimately completely recovers quickly.
    No risk at all. Right?? *eye roll*

My Ride
    V8s

I'm not sure you understand. It's not about "not willing to settle". Look at @ExtraSlow . He's a great guy, presumably reasonably intelligent and well educated. He was publicly willing to settle for pretty much anything during his unemployed spell, and still had a heck of a go trying to find something. What happens if people like him don't have a second income to keep the household going? They eventually sell their shit and move somewhere else to get a job. Might be out east where you have to live in a tiny condo. Might be down in the USA. If your options are exhausted somewhere, any option elsewhere is better.

Relative cost of RE and standard of living are secondary to employment opportunity. They are 100% irrelevant without a paycheck. I don't see why this is hard to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    They aren't vacant, they get lots of applications and they get filled.
    This is exactly it. So for the 500ppl that apply for one position, what are the other 499 going to do in 12-18 months (I'm being generous here) when their savings run out and their other applications get rejected? I'm betting they leave. Thus driving Calgary RE lower.

Who knows, maybe the almighty re/max forecasters are aware of something that will fulfil our long-awaited dream of AB diversification. I just don't see it.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You’re delusional to think other markets don’t have as many, if not more applicants. Its like people forget why Calgary grew to begin with or something

My Ride
    ute

You’re delusional to think other markets don’t have as many, if not more applicants. Its like people forget why Calgary grew to begin with or something
    Other markets have economies driven by the RE market. Calgary seems to have a RE market driven by the economy.

The latter is better, of course.

My Ride
    V8s

So you're proposing that Calgary has equal, or better, opportunity for employment than other cities in Canada (and North America)? And I'm the delusional one You should google some unemployment rate info when you have a sec.

Calgary grew because of multiple O&G booms (RE driven by economy, per the almighty Buster), which will not happen again here in the near to medium term due to no more large investment in oilsands. What aspect of Calgary's growth am I missing here?
    Last edited by bjstare; 12-04-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Agreed with CJblair

O&G job salary high.... Moves up population and RE price...
    Then lower paying job salaries ratchet up too because people "can't afford to live" then it spirals.

Now the downward spiral....
    Cue NIN song.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^^ Jesus... look at average prices here vs ANYWHERE ELSE.

Ohhh... now it’s prospects outside of Canada??? Riiight.

I mean yeah... for a niche, select few their prospects here are less than elsewhere, for regular people that exist in quantities large enough to actually move metrics, I’m saying this is nothing but a grass is greener argument. It’s not, it’s just another shade of green.

I would wager if you removed purposefully CERB collecting unemployment, and the “I’m too good to work a lesser role” employment. No, it’s not anything worse than elsewhere in THIS country for most people to find work here. Very few can just up and leave these borders

Page 5 of 357 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast