Quantcast
Calgary real estate prospects - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 357 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary real estate prospects

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly if I wasn't thinking Vancouver or Toronto, why not Calgary? Better than Edmonton lol.
    Since 1888!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Hey, if GVA/GTA folks want to drive my house up by a million I’m happy to roll out the welcome mat

Fight for WFH workforce relocation is on. WFH may devastate Calgary DT, but could also be a way out to attract people in due to 1/2 price real estate.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-06-2021 at 08:54 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

White collar outsourcing is going to suck

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Saw one house on listing day, made a offer for asking but there was a 2nd competing offer. The next day I saw a separate house the same day it was listed, also already had an offer that night. Fuck this market.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    My opinion is your primary residence should not be a part of your investment strategy at all.
    But your home equity should be considered an asset class.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

From what Ive been seeing over the past 2 weeks of looking and adding to favorites on realtor.ca, once you get up above 650k the places sit for a little while, and 800k+ seems to be not moving at all

I do get a kick out of Calgary realestate though - it's like it doesnt matter the price, you still see the exact same houses 2 feet from neighbors on each side in those treeless ticky tacky subdivisions. You could take a picture of one @ 450k and another at 700k, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I guess location really matters a lot to some people
    Last edited by tcon; 03-06-2021 at 02:21 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    I have two units i'd sell if i could break even. Realtor did some calculations and was like 'Yeah you'll probably have to pay 30k after all fees to sell them". Which is basically all realtor fees. Fuck realtors... for selling condos they should never be used. A condo is like a commodity. For larger more unique or high ticket homes i can understand their usefulness
    I always negotiate fees to help people out in tight situations.

I’m not one of those greedy realtors, nor do I try and force a price fix. I show you real stats and tell you how it is. If you don’t like what I present then I tell you good luck and move on.

It’s not difficult to evaluate the market.

Do your homework and choose wisely.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I went from working in the O & G industry for 21 years to going into Real Estate. My industry Geophysics was dying and at one point I considered going back to school, but I was in a good spot financially and saw the potential to make as much or even more in real estate if I played my cards right. Best decision I ever made. Of course I have seen others try and fail miserably, it’s not an easy gig if you don’t have self motivation and a good network.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    I went from working in the O & G industry for 21 years to going into Real Estate. My industry Geophysics was dying and at one point I considered going back to school, but I was in a good spot financially and saw the potential to make as much or even more in real estate if I played my cards right. Best decision I ever made. Of course I have seen others try and fail miserably, it’s not an easy gig if you don’t have self motivation and a good network.
    So above you just mentioned it isn’t hard to evaluate the market. This being said, can you summarize what value a realtor adds on both the buy side and the sell side? Like the real tangible value as to why realtor’s believe they deserve the commission structure as it is currently set?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

1) the commission structure is what the market has decided their services are worth

2) hard to put a dollar value on never having to deal with the unwashed masses, to me that dollar amount is very high

3) People in general have poor taste, a savvy realtor can help with that

4) People have irrational attachment to their homes and are generally bad at seeing past the rose coloured glasses

5) Presumably have even a modicum of improved knowledge of market dynamics (unless you want to waste wayyyy too much of your time researching these things yourself exclusively).

... Connections you don’t have blah blah you could keep going

I’m no realtor and have next to no interest in being one. But it is always entertaining when people come in here on a high horse pretending they have what it takes to do a better job.

As always my recommendation to anyone is if you think someone makes too much money doing something you should go ahead and do it yourself and compete with them. Considering the average beyonder can’t see far enough past their noses to think that salary workers get ripped off for not necessarily making an incremental dollar for each extra hour they work, somehow I have a hard time believing they can stomach a job that is 100% commission eat what you kill.

I think by and large it’s a pretty mediocre thankless job dealing with a lot of tire kickers and working a lot of shitty hours for questionable net income. Some guys kill it and do super well which is what gets people’s noses out of a joint, but I’d say a huge proportion net near minimum wage if they break even at all.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Despite my rant about how my realtor priced my old house, I actually think he helped us a great deal to get the price we got.

On the selling side, it was our first time selling so we had no idea what we were doing. He walked through our whole house and told us what needed to fix (and how) and what needed to go, rearrangement the place so it looks bigger and more functional, helped us find contractors to fix/clean up the major things, etc.. Even got his landscapers to come and cleaned up the whole front and back yard free of charge. It was an inner city century old starter home, and borderline debatable that it's could be tear down project, so I was surprised at the efforts he was putting in.

On the buying side, our realtor used to be a contractor himself and also reno/flip houses on the side, so he can tell the quality and cost of renovations. As we were touring different houses and debate between buying a newer renovated one and do some reno ourselves after, he was able to give us some good insights on time, cost, etc... even commented on the electrical and duct work. It was tremendously helpful.

We were overall happy with his service.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 03-06-2021 at 10:28 AM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Sorry I can’t use the search button.

Can somebody tell me what a fair rate for selling your house is? % on first $100k and there after?

Thanks all

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Sorry I can’t use the search button.

Can somebody tell me what a fair rate for selling your house is? % on first $100k and there after?

Thanks all
    7% first 100k then 3% after

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Cheers

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's the "normal" rate and really a maximum. Some smart people are able to negotiate a different arrangement, particularly if your transaction is particularly appealing to the realtor for some reason.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's the "normal" rate and really a maximum. Some smart people are able to negotiate a different arrangement, particularly if your transaction is particularly appealing to the realtor for some reason.
    Some people also increase the commission

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Some people also increase the commission
    That's probably pretty unique situations, but sure, I can see reasons to do that.

If anyone is selling anything 650k or less id absolutely be negotiating with the realtor on commissions, that market is nuts now, my neighbor just sold theirs in less than 12 hours with competing offers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

I paid 5% and 1.5% on my house sale in May 2020. That said it was my 4th and 5th transaction with the same realtor in 3 years...

The market is insane right now, good friend of mine sold his 1800sqft house (finished basement) for $560,000 ($10k over list) in less than 8 hours... Conditions lifted yesterday lol...
    I hope they don't plan to move anytime soon...

In a "normal" market, $515k would have been a fair deal..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    If anyone is selling anything 650k or less id absolutely be negotiating with the realtor on commissions, that market is nuts now, my neighbor just sold theirs in less than 12 hours with competing offers!
    If the market is so hot, just jack up the price to offset the commission.

Or better yet, sell it yourself? If the market is hot, the only problem is taking care of the paperwork yourself. Save yourself a good chunk of cash.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Page 16 of 357 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast