Quantcast
Calgary real estate prospects - Page 55 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 55 of 357 FirstFirst ... 45 54 55 56 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 7139

Thread: Calgary real estate prospects

Would be a shame if Calgary affordability went down the drain. One of the few bright spots for this area. Yes I would benefit but I'd rather make $ in the markets than at expense of average families not being able to afford housing.

Really no telling what will happen given housing speculators are an innumerate bunch.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be a shame if Calgary affordability went down the drain. One of the few bright spots for this area. Yes I would benefit but I'd rather make $ in the markets than at expense of average families not being able to afford housing.

Really no telling what will happen given housing speculators are an innumerate bunch.
    It'll actually be really bad for Calgary. One of our best attractions for workers and businesses was affordability. If houses here are a million+ it'll be much harder to attract new industries here over Vancouver. Broke is broke but might as well be broke by the ocean.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

People don’t really think this is a long term phenomenon do they? I mean relatively speaking.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    People don’t really think this is a long term phenomenon do they? I mean relatively speaking.
    I'd love to hear people more educated than myself weigh in ( @Buster ), but my personal belief is this phenomenon will continue until interest rates normalize.
    When that happens I think things will "crash".

That said, will the banks increase interest rates knowing the impending damage?
    But with the rapid inflation, wouldn't interest rate increases be inevitable?
    Last edited by vengie; 01-31-2022 at 03:07 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

In '07/'08 we never really returned to prices before. People that bought the peak kind of got fucked and took a hit but Calgary never went anywhere close to the pre-boom times. I think the same will happen this time around (though I doubt it'll be as big as the 07/08 rise).

My guess: Prices go up 30-40% over the next 2 ish years, maybe 3 then 'crash' down 15-20% into a new level of values then plateaus. Detached prices are already up ~15% over 2019 levels so it's not unthinkable to hit 30+% runup.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think this is probably front-running widespread inflation, and will overshoot a bit, but everything is going to get more expensive over the next few years.

Calgary's affordability I think will remain roughly what it is now.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    Can a noisy-mirror deflect it? (Disclaimer I don’t know shit about feng shui). Ok ok what if we melted all of @ZenOps nickels to do like a satellite dish deflector
    Name:  61mYxW7NwnL._AC_SL1100_.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  54.0 KB

I swear I saw that house with one of these at some point in the last 2 decades but Google Street view say no.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Meanwhile, me and a few others on this forum *still* waiting for townhouse/condo market to heat up:

Attachment 104103
    Can't wait!

*cries in pain as passes by new rental buildings in Beltline heading home*

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    In '07/'08 we never really returned to prices before. People that bought the peak kind of got fucked and took a hit but Calgary never went anywhere close to the pre-boom times. I think the same will happen this time around (though I doubt it'll be as big as the 07/08 rise).

My guess: Prices go up 30-40% over the next 2 ish years, maybe 3 then 'crash' down 15-20% into a new level of values then plateaus. Detached prices are already up ~15% over 2019 levels so it's not unthinkable to hit 30+% runup.
    Yeah theres no way were going to see pre covid prices, I dont see the prices going up another 30-40% in the next couple years though, were close to the peak i think.
    Disclaimer: im just a nobody and tbh i wouldve bet my house in early 2020 that theres no way our housing market would boom this fast and hard lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Proyecto2000 View Post
    There is one house for sale in Redstone for $930k right now. Wondering if it will go over ask and set an upper NE record lol

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...lgary-redstone

How about this one for 950k...

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...y-saddle-ridge

Great views of Stoney, about 100m away, from your third floor balcony.

Edit: I like how the listing says "... unique 3 storey home in the heart of Saddlestone and the one and only in this AREA" and then you look on Google Earth and there's one just down the street and another one just to the north.
    Last edited by Xamim; 01-31-2022 at 04:55 PM.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Xamim View Post
    How about this one for 950k...

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...y-saddle-ridge

Great views of Stoney, about 100m away, from your third floor balcony.

Edit: I like how the listing says that "... unique 3 storey home in the heart of Saddlestone and the one and only in this AREA" and then you look on Google Earth and there's one just down the street and another one just to the north.

This has to be nothing more than shameless pandering by the realtor.

According to Honest Door, this house last sold for $588k in 2017; the city assessment is $605k and - even if the algorithm is slow to adjust - the "Honest Door Price" is $662,000.

But sure, Saddleridge - sooo HAWT right now.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

If prices go up 30-40% then "crash" by 15-20% I would call that a CORRECTION.

The people waiting for a true crash to pre-2005 prices (before the last run up or pre-boom times) are going to be waiting a long fucking time lol. Should have bought the dip a few years back.

Edit: Sorry, not directed at you specifically Pheoxs.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I also like this assessment. There will be slight heating up of the job market to make this worse than 06-08 run. A "Crash" would be basically Calgary from 08-2021, price hold the line +/- 10%.

The only outlier would be another black swan event that US can't climb out of. While we got over 2002 and 2008 pretty good, I seriously doubt US got the ability to come out of the next correction.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I'd love to hear people more educated than myself weigh in ( @Buster ), but my personal belief is this phenomenon will continue until interest rates normalize.
    When that happens I think things will "crash".

That said, will the banks increase interest rates knowing the impending damage?
    But with the rapid inflation, wouldn't interest rate increases be inevitable?
    All things being equal, asset prices are inversely proportional to interest rates. The problem with this in real estate is that people can behave irrationally. This irrationality looks like speculation based on ability to borrow and it also looks like people choosing to allocate much more of their personal balance sheets to real estate (instead of other consumer spending). So can it go higher when interest rates go higher? Sure, why not, people can behave like idiots for a long time by crushing their retirement savings allocation, their discretionary spending, the concept of transferring wealth to their kids, etc. As they say, the market can stay irrational a lot longer than you can stay solvent.

Our institutions have, of course, failed us. The reasons for this are many, but mostly it is because institutions are really just a reflection of the populace. You think Trudeau is an idiot? Of course you do. But he is a perfect reflection of Canada and Canadians. Our institutions reflect our naivete and our greed and our lack of understanding - because it is easier to pretend that the institutions are a caretaker of the people, rather than a product of the people.

For instance: whoever came up with the concept of mortgage insurance. Fucking dumb. Whoever thinks that pricing controls work. Fucking dumb. (In this case, price controls being the cost of capital - ie. artificially lower interest rates). The idea that the creation of a "middle class" isn't the product of a robust economy, but rather the responsibility of gov't and policy makers. Fucking dumb. I could go on.

The reason I hate RE as an asset class isn't just because of its objective flaws (illiquidity, maintenance, transaction costs), but primarily because it's an asset class that every Canadian (see above), can participate in. Not only that, they can participate with horrendous amounts of leverage. Do you want to be sitting in a bathtub farting bubbles with the average Canadian in the RE market? (As we know the average Canadian is, statistically speaking, a moron). Sure they can also be the dumb money at the table, with which you can enrich yourself. But you're only not-the-dumb money until you become...the dumb money.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Sure they can also be the dumb money at the table, with which you can enrich yourself. But you're only not-the-dumb money until you become...the dumb money.
    Also apply to MLM and crypto?

It'll actually be really bad for Calgary. One of our best attractions for workers and businesses was affordability. If houses here are a million+ it'll be much harder to attract new industries here over Vancouver. Broke is broke but might as well be broke by the ocean.
    I don't look so dumb now do I? HAHA...in all honesty, I'm a little worried about not being able to move back to Calgary without having to settle for a condo right about now.

As for those Saddletowne and Redstone houses, not too surprising, when we lived in Airdrie 2016-2021 there were definitely houses in that range in communities like Coopers and Bayside.

Guess I'll moving to Strathmore when I'm sick of paying out my ass for rent here in BC lol but at least I'll enjoy our time here.

My Ride
    ute

Just more evidence for my theory that real estate is hot.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Figuring out how long a Market will stay hot is the hard part. We continuously see Governments trying new ways to keep the "heat" on.

For Calgary RE, the drivers in the near term lead me to think there is still upside.
    • 2022 Government daycare subsidies will push young families to bigger homes (2 kids is $1g in “savings”)
    • Immigration at record levels where the dream is homeownership, We have space and resources to keep this up and the government intends to.
    • As the world re-opens, oil will trend higher driving job growth in AB. If it ever re-opens……..
    • BC and Ontario RE prices are pushing people out, and with remote work Calgary seems affordable
    • Record low inventory on detached homes in Calgary
    • USA is unlikely to raise rates quickly and Canada will follow their lead as to not strengthen CAD vs USD. Their government Debt to GDP ratio is almost twice as bad as Canada.
    • People will always need physical places to live. Money can be diverted from stocks, crypto and the new metaverse when basic human needs require it.

The “masses” love RE and the current narrative in AB supports it. Sometimes the dumb money is lucky enough to be right. 2004 and 2021. Hard to bet against government and the masses.

The music only stops when we run out of space, resources, or people wanting to move here. Investing in sectors and markets we understand gives an advantage and even then we are likely wrong. Diversify into all irrational markets.
    Last edited by Rarasaurus; 01-31-2022 at 07:00 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Chatting with a realtor today on a shoot, and he was saying the home inspector said 10 out of the last 15 inspections were folks from Toronto, about half buying simply from photos online. Most are investors.

Why the frenzy to buy property in Alberta is still bewildering to me. Do they see a massive influx of people who will want to rent for the next 20 years to make their investment worthwhile? Or simply think they can sell a house in 3 years and double up like they did in Toronto...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Chatting with a realtor today on a shoot, and he was saying the home inspector said 10 out of the last 15 inspections were folks from Toronto, about half buying simply from photos online. Most are investors.

Why the frenzy to buy property in Alberta is still bewildering to me. Do they see a massive influx of people who will want to rent for the next 20 years to make their investment worthwhile? Or simply think they can sell a house in 3 years and double up like they did in Toronto...
    It is a speculative bet. Guess people like the risk/reward. Might be good, might be a dud, who knows. Time will tell.

Page 55 of 357 FirstFirst ... 45 54 55 56 65 ... LastLast