Quantcast
Calgary real estate prospects - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 361 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary real estate prospects

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You get so much house once you leave inner city.

This springbank one has a sweet indoor pool and it's only $1.2M. Granted having a pool is probably an upkeep nightmare but it's just so much house for the price https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...pringbank-hill
    That house has some very... interesting styling choices.

Pool is sweet though, that would be a plus for me.

Wait. Does it face the ring road? lol
    Last edited by killramos; 12-18-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If anyone is bored I'm on the hunt for something in the spring. 550kish (5-600k) budget, don't want a condo. Likely looking half-duplex but open to house or townhouse (reasonable fees) as well.

- Something of a yard for a small dog
    - 2 bed / 2 bath minumum with a decently nice master+ensuite.
    - garage, double preferred. No preference for attached or detached
    - open concept / high ceilings / lots of light is preferred but flexible ish

Currently just window shopping online until spring gets closer but am curious where people would suggest to look. Was thinking west of Deerfoot and east of Sarcee and down to glenmore, maybe one neighbourhood past glenmore. Killarney seems like it has the most options?
    Last edited by pheoxs; 12-18-2020 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Killarney will be hard to fit into the budget

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    If anyone is bored I'm on the hunt for something in the spring. 550kish (5-600k) budget, don't want a condo. Likely looking half-duplex but open to house or townhouse (reasonable fees) as well.

Currently just window shopping online until spring gets closer but am curious where people would suggest to look. Was thinking west of Deerfoot and east of Sarcee and down to glenmore, maybe one neighbourhood past glenmore. Killarney seems like it has the most options?
    Don't think the price is to unreasonable consider you are okay with a duplex. The only challenge I see if at that price range if you are looking for single detached it will have to be a renovated bungalow or even a century home; neither would have high ceilings. However a duplex I think will check all those boxes and within that price range.

My Ride
    V8s

You get so much house once you leave inner city.

This springbank one has a sweet indoor pool and it's only $1.2M. Granted having a pool is probably an upkeep nightmare but it's just so much house for the price https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...pringbank-hill
    That's not really springbank though. It's within city limits (i.e. has super high property tax in comparison to houses on the other side of 101st); and yes, it backs directly onto the ring road. Additional reason that houses in the slopes are very poor value for money compared to Springbank is they have $200 monthly HOA and smaller lots.

I've been shopping out there for ~1yr because you do get a lot for your money... but a lot of the upside gets diluted if you're in city limits and in a community with high monthly HOA (e.g. The Slopes).

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    That house has some very... interesting styling choices.

Pool is sweet though, that would be a plus for me.

Wait. Does it face the ring road? lol

The SWRR decimated some otherwise really appealing real estate out in that area... We had sights set on a little pocket for a redevelopment but will wait until the road is built to decide. In the meantime, homes in the area are sitting and prices are dropping, which might be advantageous unless other buyers are sitting on the sidelines like we are, literally waiting for the dust to settle.

Have pool... maintenance & upkeep is not a nightmare... would do again.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Don't think the price is to unreasonable consider you are okay with a duplex. The only challenge I see if at that price range if you are looking for single detached it will have to be a renovated bungalow or even a century home; neither would have high ceilings. However a duplex I think will check all those boxes and within that price range.
    Yeah I noticed detached homes are old as fuck and would need a lot of work. I don't mind doing some renos over time but it's not feasible to buy something that needs an entire redo.

I really like this place, a bit over budget but seems really spacious. No pictures of the basement so presumably unfinished which might make for a nice media area.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...arneyglengarry

This looks nice too

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...gary-glenbrook

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We had an outdoor heated pool in Kelowna, it wasn’t that bad.

I would totally have an indoor pool if I had the space for it, the space is the really problem as you are basically adding a second attached garage in terms of square footage.

Not practical use of space on my inner city lot though.

fact.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That's not really springbank though. It's within city limits (i.e. has super high property tax in comparison to houses on the other side of 101st); and yes, it backs directly onto the ring road. Additional reason that houses in the slopes are very poor value for money compared to Springbank is they have $200 monthly HOA and smaller lots.

I've been shopping out there for ~1yr because you do get a lot for your money... but a lot of the upside gets diluted if you're in city limits and in a community with high monthly HOA (e.g. The Slopes).
    Ahh that make sense! Looking at it more closely now, it is almost $10K in property tax plus $200/month on HOA, that's alot. Appreciate the insights!

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Feels like a realtor that has no idea what they're doing. Even the Halloween week, drop 10k then four days later drop 20k again?
    It’s actually common for a second showing to drop the price in them minutes before they walk in or just after.

Even some first showings.

Walking in for a showing thinking it’s 800, walking out at 790 - tug those emotional heart strings.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Youtube algo just fed me this.... seems like you get a lot for $2.3M these days.
    I wonder how much it cost the sellers to get that video into every Calgarian's algo this week. The house looks pretty fug, too.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Still following this. at $778K now (https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ry-collingwood ) if anyone is curious.
    This place would be awesome but way above my budget. Grew up pretty close and remember these streets well.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    “Inner” city real estate in Calgary is ridiculous still. $500-$600k for a barely livable teardown north of 16th ave NE is ridiculous. I think COVID actually helped to insulate the Calgary real estate crash by the government handing out free money everywhere and forcing mortgage companies to work with homeowners.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Ok now I’m confused. What’s so wrong with that home?

Doesn’t seem THAT terribly out of line price wise and certainly far from unliveable.
    I'm talking about the 8888 in the price.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Still following this. at $778K now (https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ry-collingwood ) if anyone is curious.
    Beware golf balls, have cleared that fence a few times with a terrible follow up shot lol. I really like that area (that house is still weird), tried to convince a friend to look in that neighbourhood before he decided Tuscany was a “better value”

I got into west hillhurst for 607,500 last year, 1700ish sq ft above grade, double detached garage, standalone house, so worth keeping an eye out. Also check out Cambrian Heights, there is some nice stuff up there. I left crescent heights (renting) and honestly wouldn’t go back, it’s getting pretty scrappy up there lots of car prowlings and sketchy shot in the back alleys.
    Last edited by finboy; 12-26-2020 at 07:27 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

I'm in Hillhurst and we still deal with tons of garage and car break ins. I swear I see a scruffy dude on a new bike weekly on my street. I'm sure it is worse a bit further east like you say tho.

We just bought in Lakeview for under 6 in a nice bungalow, inventory has really dried up in the past month and anything decent thats under 6 seems to move relatively quickly. Any kind of fixer upper isn't selling too quickly.

My Ride
    lobster boat

So the missus and I are in the market for a small place near downtown. Preferably detached. We both generally commute to work on our mtb's all year and have no intention of riding transit or paying $500/m for parking. So with that said, we're willing to pay the location premium but there are very few options, especially in the 600-700k range.

I did come across one and will be going to check it out this weekend. Given that I'm relatively new to Calgary, I'm trying to figure out whether it's valued decently or if anything about it looks.. shady?

Link here.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by engibeer View Post
    Is this your first time buying? Lots to learn in the process so find all the friends you have and ask for advice they wish they knew the first time.

Re this property, looks comparable to others in the area for the price.
    There's probably ones that may pop up for a lower price, which you can put your hands to work in to save a few bucks.

For the area, if you're going into downtown, not sure how much longer the bridge reconstructions are going to be, and they seem to be working on all the bridges in the area... so when one bridge opens back up, expect another one to close.
    https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...t-project.html
    https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...nglewoodramsay

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So the missus and I are in the market for a small place near downtown. Preferably detached. We both generally commute to work on our mtb's all year and have no intention of riding transit or paying $500/m for parking. So with that said, we're willing to pay the location premium but there are very few options, especially in the 600-700k range.

I did come across one and will be going to check it out this weekend. Given that I'm relatively new to Calgary, I'm trying to figure out whether it's valued decently or if anything about it looks.. shady?

Link here.
    What are your thoughts on choo-choo trains? Crackheads?

If you want crackheads, sans trains... would lean towards something more like: A1053049 in that price range... or A1060580 if you want less crackheads, not much else I can endorse in that range that’s been “modernized” on the market right now. Keep an eye on the north side of 9th ave between, say 12th and 16th st se if you like the east side, night and day compared to the bottom of the hill in Ramsey

My Ride
    V8s

Link here.
    That place is pretty appealing if you are into the old character type houses.

A good buddy of mine lived in Ramsay for a couple years, had lots of great things to say about the community. Given that it hasn't been gentrified yet, there's still quite a bit of transient/sketchy activity in some places though, so be ready for that.
    @zipdoa probably has some words of wisdom.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Link here.

We have a few friends that are in Ramsay... They bought a while ago with the hope of imminent gentrification, but have since had kids and are getting tired of the, um, issues.

Personally, I'd prefer to be on the west side of MacLeod... More of a straight shot commute into the core, no trains, better all-around accessibility, far more vibrant and walkable area to be and with better prospects of appreciation... Without looking too hard, this place caught my eye

Edit - this one too.

I like the house in Ramsay, but you can't change the neighbourhood... The other places are in (IMO) better areas and at ~$100k cheaper, should leave a lot of room for renos...
    Last edited by you&me; 02-05-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Page 8 of 361 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast