Quantcast
Calgary real estate prospects - Page 86 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 86 of 361 FirstFirst ... 76 85 86 87 96 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 7212

Thread: Calgary real estate prospects

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I though? I’ve been pretty solid on this for over a decade… only difference now is I benefit from the increase in participants directly
    You have an advantage. You're in the industry.

I mean jesus riander5 doesn't even know how to calculate future value - something both my kids know how to do.

And I don't know why you're showing a picture of Hwang. He fucked up huge the first time, but being a hedge fund manager, that's okay.

Did anybody at Cenovus lose their jobs over the almost $1 billion loss on their hedges?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'd never knock another man's hustle, but there are quite a few members of this board that make their living from the "returns" on the real estate market. Which kinda proves my point.
    The only point I’m making is the whole idea of a capitalist society is that everyone should have the ability to make their own way, but “we need to limit access to certain products cause people are stupid” ends up restricting access to those that already have the capital and power, residential RE is one of these few things remaining that lets anyone that has proven to be responsible enough to hold down a job and save some money to enter. Simply returning for a higher education isn’t always an option, the opportunity cost of being in school alone (not including the ever increasing costs associated with school) is a massive barrier to entry.

Posting old Billy up there is just to show that this closed club isn’t closed due to intelligence, it’s restricted based on existing wealth. Let Darwin run free

So if someone is willing to put in the work, find the right market at the right time, have at it

I don't think anybody is saying let's restrict anything.

Just that there's a lot of incorrect analysis when it comes to leveraged products and their rate of return.

One of the mods at CP still hates me because I showed him how massively leveraged his non-realized return was on his rentals.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I love how off the rails this has gone
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by skandalouz_08 View Post
    Not sure if you realize that the moment you move out of the property it's no longer your principal residence and that value is used as your base when you eventually sell the property down the road. Ex. Property is worth $300K when you move out and you sell down the road for $600K you're on the hook for cap gains tax on the $150K gain you had, assuming the 50% cap gains tax never changes...
    I understand that. My main point is on the 800k the properties were originally worth, I will put in 100k and get 700k out, with no capital gains. That's pretty damn close to Suntans 1.1 in his mutual fund example after capital gains hits.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    The only point I’m making is the whole idea of a capitalist society is that everyone should have the ability to make their own way, but “we need to limit access to certain products cause people are stupid” ends up restricting access to those that already have the capital and power, residential RE is one of these few things remaining that lets anyone that has proven to be responsible enough to hold down a job and save some money to enter. Simply returning for a higher education isn’t always an option, the opportunity cost of being in school alone (not including the ever increasing costs associated with school) is a massive barrier to entry.

Posting old Billy up there is just to show that this closed club isn’t closed due to intelligence, it’s restricted based on existing wealth. Let Darwin run free

So if someone is willing to put in the work, find the right market at the right time, have at it
    I don't think things should be restricted at all.

Three things need to change:

- the gov't needs to stop subsidizing default insurance and get out of that game entirely. The price to insure mortgages should float on the private markets if the lender chooses to not keep that risk on their books.
    - related to that: risk in lending in the RE market should be decided by the financial markets, lenders, and borrowers.
    - the gov't needs to be far less intervention-ary on the pricing of capital (ie interest rates)

Basically, return RE to free markets and capitalism. Pricing will sort itself out.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Jesus, there's your first problem, which in actual fact is a hell of a hurdle.

And no, you didn't "make close", your time is worth something, the fact that you keep thinking that your time is worthless is why you keep fisting yourself.
    They are condos, not 50 year old heritage homes falling apart. I literally put no more than 20 hours in a year between the two. I'd love to see an hour by hour breakdown of your day that you couldn't squeeze that in.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record, I think we should stop calling rental properties "investments". Let's call them second jobs it's more accurate. Or if you want to whitewash it while also sounding like a douchebag youtuber...you can call it a "side hustle". Which is just another way of saying my primary goals and plans didn't work out.
    I wouldn't say my original plan didn't work out, just unlucky to live in a market in Canada that condo's didn't see much appreciation. It is what it is, they are back to where I bought them at which isn't that bad.

And if 20 hours a year qualifies as a second job, I guess I have a few of those.

- - - Updated - - -

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah but now we’re just in the time old “don’t hate the player, hate the game” situation… it is what it is, take advantage and get ahead

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Well I don't know how you made your money, but my parents gave me jack shit, so I saved up and didn't think going to Mexico and Asia every year in my 20s was a thing, so here I am with more actual savings than you guys that leverage.
    Sick life

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    I understand that. My main point is on the 800k the properties were originally worth, I will put in 100k and get 700k out, with no capital gains. That's pretty damn close to Suntans 1.1 in his mutual fund example after capital gains hits.
    What's a risk-adjusted return again?

Fuck me, 50% in bonds and I still beat you.

20 hours a year? Well, I spend 0 hours a year on futzing around with my investment portfolio, so there's that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Sick life
    Yeah sorry I'm a first gen immigrant with a funny name.

Let me tell you about my business that's worth a few million dollars. That's been my primary focus.

My Ride
    ute

gettin' spicey!

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I love how people care so much about how other people spend their own money. You don’t agree with it therefore that person is an idiot, real classy Beyond!

Should slide most of @Buster comments into the thinly veiled brag thread.

Real estate investments? That’s unsophisticated you pleb! If you don’t manage your own hedge fund, your investment portfolio is trash, just like the trailer park you belong in!

Why don’t these geniuses layout their investment strategy and portfolio? I’ll take notes myself, show us the way Beyond Ballers!!! Hang it all out for everyone to learn from, instead of constantly criticizing everyone else. I for one would love the opportunity to learn from others successes.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

20 hours a year? Well, I spend 0 hours a year on futzing around with my investment portfolio, so there's that.
    Canadian real estate. HUGE risk.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I love how people care so much about how other people spend their own money. You don’t agree with it therefore that person is an idiot, real classy Beyond!

Should slide most of @Buster comments into the thinly veiled brag thread.

Real estate investments? That’s unsophisticated you pleb! If you don’t manage your own hedge fund, your investment portfolio is trash, just like the trailer park you belong in!

Why don’t these geniuses layout their investment strategy and portfolio? I’ll take notes myself, show us the way Beyond Ballers!!! Hang it all out for everyone to learn from, instead of constantly criticizing everyone else. I for one would love the opportunity to learn from others successes.
    first time on the internet?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah sorry I'm a first gen immigrant with a funny name.

Let me tell you about my business that's worth a few million dollars. That's been my primary focus.
    Bragging about multi million dollar business online to strangers. You've reached peak internet, well done.

Awesome thread haha, incase anyone is wondering about the current state of the RE market I saw a house pop up for sale this week in Taralake (heart of the NE)....for $2.2 mill

My Ride
    ute

What's the NE?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

What's the NE?
    Similar to the SE

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

SHOTS FIRED

lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg16 View Post
    Awesome thread haha, incase anyone is wondering about the current state of the RE market I saw a house pop up for sale this week in Taralake (heart of the NE)....for $2.2 mill
    Saw that too, never in a million years would i think id see that price there
    https://calgaryhomes.ca/listing/a119...berta-t3j-0j1/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Page 86 of 361 FirstFirst ... 76 85 86 87 96 ... LastLast