Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2020-2021 Edition - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2020-2021 Edition

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We have a lot of kids that could be important next year. Be nice to see them in NHL games this year to begin the evaluation process, and assist their growth.
    Shut down every veteran who needs surgery or rehabilitation from injury, which is probably a few. Shut down Markstrom, because he'll play his way into injury as he's proven.

Its not even about tanking anymore, it's about managing valuable assets, and evaluating potential assets with no risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

At this point I think the flames should do a full strip down.

Trade everyone for picks/ prospects.
    Let the kids play and develop.

The next two drafts have some incredible talent up top - Connor Mcdavid/ Crosby/ Ovechkin level talent.
    2022- Shane Wright
    2023- Connor Bedard/ Matvei Michkov

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, it's hard to "aim" for a #1 pick. But what they can do is bank cap space, avoid long contracts, hoard picks, trade for more picks etc. These days cap space is almost more valuable than anything.

People say Daryl isn't here for a rebuild, but fuck him, he'll coach who he's given, and he aint the GM anymore. Not sure Treliving has the balls to trade any of our bigger names, but we should.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’d be curious if they even bother to play the Canucks in their final 4 games.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Bettman said the plan is for the Canucks to play their full 56 games.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The league wants the games played for sure. Not likely to cancel, even if they are meaningless.

Looking forward to it. Haven't seen an AHL game in a long time.

My Ride
    ute

They haven't fired Tre yet?

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Buffalo will be hard to beat for worst team for a while I figure, Eichel wants out bad.

Team needs a good shake up but not full blown tank mode, move on from Monahan and Johnny, sort out a solution for dependable depth. Too many guys flat out disappear for stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Buffalo will be hard to beat for worst team for a while I figure, Eichel wants out bad.

Team needs a good shake up but not full blown tank mode, move on from Monahan and Johnny, sort out a solution for dependable depth. Too many guys flat out disappear for stretches.
    We've had some soft teams/core in the past...but this core has got to be #1 for softness, ridiculous. There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm just too sad right now.

Eh they've had worse. But yeah this group isn't even trying.

My Ride
    Lariat

The big thing for the Flames is to draft and develop. Almost every team that has won a cup of the last 10-20 had sucked for a while, drafted high, and turned into a great team. The big problem with being a middling team is you never draft high. You are never great and you are never bad, so you get mid first rounders at best.

Look at the last few cup winners and their drafting.

Tampa took Stamkos 1st overall and also drafted a lot of other top tier players on the team, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevsky etc.
    St Louis drafter Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, etc
    Caps obviously had Ovechkin 1st overall, along with Backstrom, Carlson, Kuznetsov etc.
    Penguins had Crosby, Malkin, Talbot, Flower etc
    Blackhawks had Towes/Kane along with seabrook, Keith and many others.

The closest thing to that now who have yet to win are Edmonton/Toronto with Mcjesus, Matthews, Draisitl, Marner etc.

I would much rather the Flames absolutely suck for a year or so, trade any decent player for picks, take some really high draft picks a few years in a row and build a powerhouse team that can compete for 10 years. If they keep doing the same formula it will be the same result, either barely making or missing the playoffs and middle of the first round draft pics at best.

/end rant
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Toronto has been out of the first round 1 time since 2004 or they’ve won 1 round in the last 16 years. And they’ve only made the playoffs 4 times in those 16 years.
    Edmonton has made the playoffs 1 time in the last 14 years and also only won 1 round in that time frame.

So let’s hope the Flames can turn it around better then those 2 joke franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Toronto has been out of the first round 1 time since 2004 or they’ve won 1 round in the last 16 years. And they’ve only made the playoffs 4 times in those 16 years.
    Edmonton has made the playoffs 1 time in the last 14 years and also only won 1 round in that time frame.

So let’s hope the Flames can turn it around better then those 2 joke franchises.
    Flames: Hold my beer.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

The Flames are a dumpster fire… no doubt about that.

But lets not kid ourselves, the Oilers have not done anything remotely close to ‘building’ a successful organization. They sucked more then anyone has ever sucked before (on purpose no less) and then lucked out on a lottery ball and drafted Connor McDavid.

The Leafs appear to have built a great team and they’ve had lots of regular season success but who cares... playoffs (and the cup) are the only thing that counts. And their salary structure is fucked and this is probably their last shot with their current team makeup.

So you can either A) pull an Oiler (never recommended) and suck on purpose for over a decade to hopefully win a lottery on a year that a generational players is in the draft and hope you don’t end up like the Sabres, or B) build a solid organization of players you draft and develop, throw in a couple stellar trades and then top off with some depth UFA signing (like the Blues).

I know which one I’d prefer.

I really don't give two fucks what the Oilers do and don't do. Same with the Leafs.

I see what good teams do and I see the Flames not doing those things.

If the Flames can, they should follow the Islanders model. Not having one or two expensive superstar and just spreading the cap hit and offense throughout the lineup. Play a more structured and tight checking game. Like Tortz, Sutter employs a similar hard-working style and not really relying on one or two good lines. Of course, it's up to the GM (whoever that may be) to find the right type of players who will fit into this model without having to bank on winning the lottery.

Having said that, I would love nothing more than to draft Connor Bedard, so I'm good with the tank and hope to win the lottery. (feeling so Oiler right now)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

#1 thing is to get some cap flexibility and some prospects. Trade the old or expensive players.

Hey Tre. Do something. Same fucking core as last year (minus Gio, who I'm not upset about)

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16