Quantcast
win10 netsh virtual network issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: win10 netsh virtual network issues

My Ride
    4x4

Default win10 netsh virtual network issues

Having one of those ongoing issues with win10... Wondering if anyone knows a solution.

Wifi sharing... Using the icon based setup hotspot setup, it doesn't work - see this is a regular issue on microsoft help forums...

But it works from command prompt:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=SSID key=Password

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

However after reboots and randomly (daily), the new "virtual network connection" that creates gets stuck... Rather than showing my SSID on the adapter settings - it randomly just shows "identifying..."

Sometimes I can get it back by running netsh stop and starts. Usual solution is to remove the sharing off the wifi adapter, reboot, run commands above, set sharing up again.

Don't suppose anyone has an idea why that virtual network gets stuck on identifying? Or is there a way to have it automatically reset rather than doing it manually?

Thanks in advance

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

wifi sharing from a PC? thats something I have not seen a lot. adhoc wifi sure .... but not from a pc

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wifi sharing from a PC? thats something I have not seen a lot. adhoc wifi sure .... but not from a pc
    range extenders didn't work, got tired of throwing money at it. It gets wifi to the other end of the house and that's all that matters.

My Ride

that..... sounds like a setup issue with the hardware, or low quality hardware, if a PC can function as a wifi hotspot but a wifi unit cannot.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    that..... sounds like a setup issue with the hardware, or low quality hardware, if a PC can function as a wifi hotspot but a wifi unit cannot.
    Lol, if only you knew how many times I've heard that and that's failed. Pc connects via a alpha networks 2000mw wifi adapter, connected to a 9db external directional antenna.

That's how I get WiFi to that pc. Yes alpha networks provides bridging function but it takes the speed radically down so I can't watch a show on netflix in the bedroom.

So connected to the pc and using the microsoft tools that exist to do this - it actually works natively. Except those nightly updates and the occasional drop where for whatever reason it doesn't start up the second network properly.

But yes I realize I can go spend 340$ on a linksys router to do the same thing...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Lol, if only you knew how many times I've heard that and that's failed. Pc connects via a alpha networks 2000mw wifi adapter, connected to a 9db external directional antenna.

That's how I get WiFi to that pc. Yes alpha networks provides bridging function but it takes the speed radically down so I can't watch a show on netflix in the bedroom.

So connected to the pc and using the microsoft tools that exist to do this - it actually works natively. Except those nightly updates and the occasional drop where for whatever reason it doesn't start up the second network properly.

But yes I realize I can go spend 340$ on a linksys router to do the same thing...
    Don't need to spend $340 and bridge mode should never slow down a network because your basically putting your modem into a dumb mode if you will and relies on the router/switch you have it being fed into.

I know you came asking for help and we are trying to get an idea but you really haven't said much about how your network is setup and even the smallest misconfiguration could cause issues elsewhere.

My Ride
    4x4

Network is stock off the shelf shaw bluecurve. The techs who've been here say it is what it is, it's the building - concrete walls.

Don't really want to reconfig the network, just want the tools in windows to do what they're intended to. yes I realize that's a lot to ask

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Network is stock off the shelf shaw bluecurve. The techs who've been here say it is what it is, it's the building - concrete walls.

Don't really want to reconfig the network, just want the tools in windows to do what they're intended to. yes I realize that's a lot to ask
    a) blue curve units are complete shit unless they are relegated to simple modem duty - any ISP repeater for such unit is essentially garbage piled on top of garbage. You dont need a 300$ asus unit, you probably need an 70$ edge router and a 90$ UNIFI WAP unit.

b) get a linux PC if you want something that works reliably - no doubt there are systems that can turnkey a windows box into a hot spot!

c) have a dedicated windows PC that does nothing else - no updates, no reboots, etc.