Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 31 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 31 of 66 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the start of the build, I had no interest in doing OC. But now that I have been doing more research and watching guys like GN and Jayz, I think it will be something I want to learn how to do, and as such, decided to get this board over something cheaper.

I still have no idea how to do it, but the fact this thing is easy to switch BIOS and clear CMOS at the touch of a button, I am keen to learn.
    TBH its super easy to OC both cpu and gpu. Definitely recommend as you already paid for the performance. Depending on the silicon you can make some crazy gains. On my 2080ti I squeezed out an avg of 45fps on cod at 1440p putting me at 180-200 which is a game changer.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    rally pig

if anyone has a 22" 1080p IPS monitor, would they be interested on trading for a 24" 1080p IPS monitor?

At the start of the build, I had no interest in doing OC. But now that I have been doing more research and watching guys like GN and Jayz, I think it will be something I want to learn how to do, and as such, decided to get this board over something cheaper.

I still have no idea how to do it, but the fact this thing is easy to switch BIOS and clear CMOS at the touch of a button, I am keen to learn.
    It's super easy, just watch or read a few guides, whatever you prefer, and you shouldn't have any issues. It's hard to do any real damage even if you make a mistake.

The latest AGESA for Ryzen actually makes automatic OC significantly better, however the Dark Hero is the only board on the market that can OC all-core boost independently from single core based on the task which is what makes it special. I would have probably bought it if I wasn't past my return period.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    It's super easy, just watch or read a few guides, whatever you prefer, and you shouldn't have any issues. It's hard to do any real damage even if you make a mistake.

The latest AGESA for Ryzen actually makes automatic OC significantly better, however the Dark Hero is the only board on the market that can OC all-core boost independently from single core based on the task which is what makes it special. I would have probably bought it if I wasn't past my return period.
    Yeah, I will have to look around for some guides, hopefully I can find a couple videos specific to the dark hero
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Yeah, I will have to look around for some guides, hopefully I can find a couple videos specific to the dark hero
    Check out de8uer on YouTube, he had a Dark Hero months ago - there might be some OC content there.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Was at MemEx picking up my 3080 that came in, the NE location got a ton of EVGA 3070(presumably XC3 variant) and a bunch of different MSI 3070 flavours. Might be a few EVGA FTW3 3080's available from people that didn't pick them up-there weren't any sitting out on the shelf when I did a quick scan. Also, there's a few FTW3 3090's and some STRIX 3090's sitting on the shelves as well.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Was at MemEx picking up my 3080 that came in, the NE location got a ton of EVGA 3070(presumably XC3 variant) and a bunch of different MSI 3070 flavours. Might be a few EVGA FTW3 3080's available from people that didn't pick them up-there weren't any sitting out on the shelf when I did a quick scan. Also, there's a few FTW3 3090's and some STRIX 3090's sitting on the shelves as well.
    I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with 1440p for a while since I ordered a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor, strongly considering upgrading my 3060ti to a 3070 for future proofing or is the 3060ti good enough?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with 1440p for a while since I ordered a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor, strongly considering upgrading my 3060ti to a 3070 for future proofing or is the 3060ti good enough?
    For future-proofing, go with the 3070.
    I'm running a 3070 right now with an i7-4790k on a 1080p60 screen and I'm GPU bound(only losing around 10fps or so due to the old CPU according to benchmarks) in titles like 2077 and MSFS:2020-both on max settings.
    In Control, I'm entirely GPU bound with RTX on/max settings-but I'm also getting around 120fps in that game.

Of course-there's always going to be people that say "future proofing" isn't a real thing and that you should stick with the 3060ti. 3070 is overkill for my use case but I've averaged five years between GPU purchases so I expect them to be relevant for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Some games won't even play at 144 FPS on a 3080 on high settings, so I would look at the individual games you play. If you like your settings cranked to the max, the 3070 will struggle to hit 144 FPS in quite a few games but typically you can turn a few things off and not even notice to raise the FPS. I wouldn't look too much at RT, the performance hit is enormous and there is only 2 or 3 games currently where it's even noticeable.

The 3060Ti can be overclocked to virtually identical performance to a 3070, but of course you can also do that to a 3070.

My Ride
    rally pig

Some games won't even play at 144 FPS on a 3080 on high settings, so I would look at the individual games you play. If you like your settings cranked to the max, the 3070 will struggle to hit 144 FPS in quite a few games but typically you can turn a few things off and not even notice to raise the FPS. I wouldn't look too much at RT, the performance hit is enormous and there is only 2 or 3 games currently where it's even noticeable.

The 3060Ti can be overclocked to virtually identical performance to a 3070, but of course you can also do that to a 3070.
    I'm trying to finish GTA SA right now, then the following in the backlog
    GTA IV
    The Witcher 2
    The Witcher 3
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    Assassin's Creed Origins

so yeah I think 3060ti should be plenty enough haha

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

My thoughts were that a 3070 should be plenty, but after reading this, I am wondering if I should bump up to a 3080...

I mean, when I finish this rig, I want to be able to use it for the next 2-3 years playing anything i want without having to drop graphic settings in any game, and hopefully not have to upgrade anything in the next 4-5 years.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

My thoughts were that a 3070 should be plenty, but after reading this, I am wondering if I should bump up to a 3080...

I mean, when I finish this rig, I want to be able to use it for the next 2-3 years playing anything i want without having to drop graphic settings in any game, and hopefully not have to upgrade anything in the next 4-5 years.
    If you do, lines at MemEx are getting shorter. Took me about a month to get my 3080.

I always recommend people look at benchmarks for the games you currently play to help decide, and then add a bit of power for future compatibility if desired. Also, keep in mind most online testing is done with max/ultra settings, and a lot of the time you can turn down or disable certain settings to get a significant FPS bump without a noticeable change in image quality. You can forget about RT for any high FPS games, performance hit is often something like 70% so it's totally useless given that most games RT isn't even really noticeable in.

For example, I can play COD Warzone at 140-160 FPS on my 1080Ti at 1440P with some things I don't care about turned off or lowered, and a 3070 will average around 130FPS in that game with max settings. A 3080 is only single-digit FPS better in that game on average from the benchmarks I've seen. So if you did the same with a 3070 you would be more than fine. it just highlights the need to look at individual games.

If you want to play everything on max settings, not even a 3080 can hit 144FPS at 1440P in a lot of games without lowering some settings.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I always recommend people look at benchmarks for the games you currently play to help decide, and then add a bit of power for future compatibility if desired. Also, keep in mind most online testing is done with max/ultra settings, and a lot of the time you can turn down or disable certain settings to get a significant FPS bump without a noticeable change in image quality. You can forget about RT for any high FPS games, performance hit is often something like 70% so it's totally useless given that most games RT isn't even really noticeable in.

For example, I can play COD Warzone at 140-160 FPS on my 1080Ti at 1440P with some things I don't care about turned off or lowered, and a 3070 will average around 130FPS in that game with max settings. A 3080 is only single-digit FPS better in that game on average from the benchmarks I've seen. So if you did the same with a 3070 you would be more than fine. it just highlights the need to look at individual games.

If you want to play everything on max settings, not even a 3080 can hit 144FPS at 1440P in a lot of games without lowering some settings.

Truth. Even my RX580 can push those FPS numbers on lower settings. Every game is built different. I can go from Valorant and be getting 200 FPS to Tarkov and be getting 60 FPS.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Name:  20210127_115148.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  80.1 KBName:  20210127_114822.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  73.8 KB

Went in to MemX NE, got my Dark Hero! I am posting these pics from my truck in the parking lot and they have a good stock of GPUs on the shelf. I was told I could walk out with any of them today. Lots of 3070, and about a half dozen each if 3080 and 3090 GPUs up for grabs.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Nice to see the stock crunch isn't quite as terrible as it used to be Now if only AMD could follow suit haha.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Name:  20210127_115148.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  80.1 KBName:  20210127_114822.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  73.8 KB

Went in to MemX NE, got my Dark Hero! I am posting these pics from my truck in the parking lot and they have a good stock of GPUs on the shelf. I was told I could walk out with any of them today. Lots of 3070, and about a half dozen each if 3080 and 3090 GPUs up for grabs.
    Nice, I might try to swing by to get one for my buddy.

I just noticed MemEx has a small number of Radeon 6800's in stock if anyone is looking. Probably will be gone within the hour.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I'm thinking of getting rid of my GTX 1060 6GB. Seems like everyone is doing that and upgrading to a 30 series.

Running it alongside an i5-8400 and X370 AORUS board.

I hear the ASUS TUF 3070 is good shit.

My Ride
    WRX STI

Picked up my EVGA 3080 FTW3 from the NE MemX yesterday. Didn't think I was ever going to get it after being on the waiting list for nearly 3 months

Still need to install but can't find extra PCIe cables. May just need to buy the individual sleeved cables to tidy everything up.

Page 31 of 66 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast