Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 42 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 42 of 66 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gigabyte got a lot of praise for their BIOS on X570 because it was such an improvement over their X470 boards and is now widely regarded as one of the best. A lot of the prominent YouTubers also choose the Gigabyte boards for their overclocking and bench testing and they are in the BIOS more than anyone.

Also, most users spend 2 minutes in the BIOS and never go into it again so it's a non-issue anyway for the average user. What specifically don't you like about it?

There is also no need to use any of Gigabyte's actual software if you aren't a fan - I've never heard of anyone actually using software that comes with a mobo.

The BIOS on my Aorus Master is the same as the Elite as far as I know and it's the best BIOS I have personally used. I haven't found anything not to like about it so far and got PBO, XMP, fan curves, etc. set up in no time at all without having to read a manual.
    They've removed the auto-OC feature, it constantly disables my XMP profile, and using the software is the only way to get the RGB on the board/RAM to work. If it's not running as a background service, it'll shut off.
    It's notoriously difficult to navigate, because everything is behind off menus, or duplicates in the BIOS. I'd love to see what "prominent youtubers" choose gigabyte, when it's not a free sponsorship.
    I'm also not what I would describe as an "average user" considering I've been working in IT for 15 years, and building my own rigs since the 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    They've removed the auto-OC feature, it constantly disables my XMP profile, and using the software is the only way to get the RGB on the board/RAM to work. If it's not running as a background service, it'll shut off.
    It's notoriously difficult to navigate, because everything is behind off menus, or duplicates in the BIOS. I'd love to see what "prominent youtubers" choose gigabyte, when it's not a free sponsorship.
    I'm also not what I would describe as an "average user" considering I've been working in IT for 15 years, and building my own rigs since the 90s.
    I am not your average user. well, maybe depending on how you look at it. But, I still haven't gotten into my BIOS yet as I got no clue what to do, and I sprung for a high end x570 board. I plan on going into the BIOS, I just need to learn more first. But from a newbie perspective, I like the X570. mind you it is not a gigabyte brand, but the ASUS Dark Hero VIII.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Interesting, I have none of those issues nor did I read about them during my board research. The constant praise that BIOS was getting on reddit and elsewhere factored into my buying decision as well - Gigabyte's X470 BIOS was apparently pretty bad, so they overhauled it for X570.

My XMP worked as expected with one click and has never turned off. I am running a 16GBX2 kit of 3600 Mhz 16-16-16-36 RAM, Trident Z Neo RGB.

Gamers Nexus chose the Aorus Master for their workhorse test bench mobo and they bought it with their own money. Hard to imagine a more intense usage case than a test bench that is constantly used for overclocking and rotating CPUs/GPUs/RAM through for comparison testing. Steve would also be the first person to call them out if he had any complaints with the board or the BIOS. It's also one of the favorite boards of the guy who runs the "actually hardcore overclocking" channel (I forget his real name at the moment.)

I didn't find anything difficult to navigate, everything was front an center or a couple clicks away. The duplicate settings are there to help prevent menu-diving, assuming I am understanding you correctly.

Ryzen's Auto OC feature is handled by AMD via PBO2. There would be no reason to use a Gigabyte-based auto OC, which is possibly why they removed it.

What are you doing that has you constantly going into your BIOS? And if you were constantly going into the BIOS, wouldn't you know where everything was? I am pretty sure you can set up a "favorite settings" menu in the BIOS as well.

I don't use any RGB software so I can't comment there. All I can tell you is my RGB is working just fine without any Gigabyte software but I also don't care to customize it. If Gigabyte's RGB software is buggy I can see how that would be annoying, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Make sure you're using the latest BIOS as well, there was a new one released just a few days ago.

All I meant by the "average user" comment is that most people go into their BIOS to set XMP, set fan curves, enable PBO, set curve optimizer offset, and maybe tweak a couple other things and that's about it. My intent wasn't to comment on or question skill level, so I apologize if it came off the wrong way. Even if you were a hardcore overclocker, once you have found your OC it would likely be set & forget from that point onward. With Ryzen 5000 though there is little need to OC as PBO handles single and all-core OC automatically based on your cooling solution. My 5950X boosts to 4.6GHz all core and around 5.1Ghz single core with PBO2 enabled and the highest temperature I've seen is in the low 70C range. If you wanted to force an even higher all-core OC without abandoning the single-core OC, the only board on the market that can do that at the moment is the ASUS Dark Hero VIII.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-22-2021 at 11:39 AM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    I am not your average user. well, maybe depending on how you look at it. But, I still haven't gotten into my BIOS yet as I got no clue what to do, and I sprung for a high end x570 board. I plan on going into the BIOS, I just need to learn more first. But from a newbie perspective, I like the X570. mind you it is not a gigabyte brand, but the ASUS Dark Hero VIII.
    We bought the MSI x570-A motherboard for my wife's computer, and I enjoy the bios/features far more.
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite w/ R7-3700x -> Auto OC -> 3.8GHz
    MSi x570-A Pro w/ R5-3600x -> Auto OC -> 4.1GHz

I managed to finally tweak mine up to around 4.5Ghz stable, and run daily at ~ 4.2GHz. I'm also running Samsung B-die @ 1800/3600MHz

The one thing I have to give Gigabyte, is that I can update th bios from windows, where the MSI has to be updated via USB stick.

I believe you can use the RBG as a static color with no software, but to have the rainbow/color matching functions, you need to use the Gigabyte software that tries to constantly install 3rd party tools, and looks like it was designed and coded in 2008.

Edit: Not offended by the "average user". I just like to constantly tinker. I could set an OC, be happy with it for 2 months, and then go back. I'm never "happy" with just leaving it.
    Last edited by LilDrunkenSmurf; 03-22-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I just upgraded my PC and I feel like I made some poor decision after reading the last few posts.

This is what I ended up with, did I make a mistake?
    - Ryzen 9 5900X
    - Asus Prime X570-P
    - 16gb XPG Spectrix D60G RGB 16GB DDR4-3600 CL18

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I think you could have purchased faster memory, but other than that, you're fine. Depends on your workload but nothing wrong with either CPU or motherboard.

Good to know! I just use the computer for playing the odd game of PUBG and browsing the internet. The nice thing is that my FPS issues with my GTX1080 have been resolved with this upgrade.

I'm still in the return period, so maybe I can return it and purchase something faster. Any recommendations?

From the specs on the board:
    Stock Clocked RAM Support: DDR4-3200 / 3000 / 2933 / 2800 / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory
    Overclocked RAM Support: DDR-4400 / 4266 / 4133 / 4000 / 3866 / 3733 / 3600 / 3466 / 3400 MHz Un-buffered Memory

Anything special that I need to do in the BIOS for the ram if I exchange for something faster?
    Last edited by S-FLY; 03-22-2021 at 04:25 PM.

I returned the other ram (turns out it was actually the 3200 that I had) and paid a little more for the 4133. Went into the bios after installing the new ram and it was showing as 2666. I changed the memory to 4133 and now it won't post

EDIT: Had to change the Ai Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. and now she's running at 4133.

EDIT EDIT: And now blue screen of death in windows 10.
    Last edited by S-FLY; 03-22-2021 at 06:23 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Make sure the timings are set to what they're rated for at 4133, as well as the right voltage too.

Halp!

Here's the new ram:

Make and Model ADATA Spectrix D60G RGB DDR4 4133 RAM Kit
    Part Number AX4U413338G19J-DT60
    Capacity 16GB (2x 8GB) RAM Kit
    Memory Type DDR4-4133 PC4-33000, Unbuffered Non-ECC DIMMs
    Timing 4133MHz: CL 19-23-23 @ 1.4Vdc
    Pins 288 Pins
    Rated Voltage 1.4Vdc

Here's the BIOS options (I also have the option for manual):
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-22 195834.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  68.3 KB

I have the AORUS ULTRA X570. I bought it for the 3x PCIE & NVMe M.2.

No issues with the BIOS. I find switching it to classic mode is easier to navigate.

I've never used the included software I just download the drivers from their site (not interested in all the RGB stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    I returned the other ram (turns out it was actually the 3200 that I had) and paid a little more for the 4133. Went into the bios after installing the new ram and it was showing as 2666. I changed the memory to 4133 and now it won't post

EDIT: Had to change the Ai Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. and now she's running at 4133.

I'd switch back to the 3600 with better timings no really point in 4133 IMO.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

4133 will actually hinder your performance on Ryzen 5000 because it's very unlikely you can get your infinity fabric clocked over 2,000 Mhz (FCLK). Ryzen will only automatically raise the FCLK to 1800Mhz, beyond that you are overclocking and are at the mercy of the silicon lottery. I explained this a few posts ago in my replies to msommers if you want to go back and read them, it should answer any questions you have.

If you are starting fresh with RAM anyway and want 16GB, get a 2X8GB kit of 3600MHz CL16. You want to maintain a 1:1 ratio with the FCLK which means 3600MHz is the sweet spot for most people.

Either of these would be great kits:

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-2...-858-_-Product

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-2...scrollFullInfo

Also, when you're installing the RAM make sure you are using the slot pair starting furthest away from the CPU, which on your board would be the two grey slots.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-23-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks!
    Back to MemEx I go...

Any reason not to get this one? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00115683
    Last edited by S-FLY; 03-23-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks!
    Back to MemEx I go...

Any reason not to get this one? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00115683
    That RAM would be fine. Timings aren't as good as this one: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-2...-858-_-Product

But not worth an extra $100 unless you're really trying to optimize your build.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

So the more I'm putting a build list together, the more expensive I realize this is going to be lol

Would anyone want the 5900x I have on hold at M/E?
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    So the more I'm putting a build list together, the more expensive I realize this is going to be lol

Would anyone want the 5900x I have on hold at M/E?
    What's your budget and requirements? Maybe there is a way to make it all work.

My Ride
    2017 GTI

I just upgraded my PC and I feel like I made some poor decision after reading the last few posts.

This is what I ended up with, did I make a mistake?
    - Ryzen 9 5900X
    - Asus Prime X570-P
    - 16gb XPG Spectrix D60G RGB 16GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Good to know! I just use the computer for playing the odd game of PUBG and browsing the internet. The nice thing is that my FPS issues with my GTX1080 have been resolved with this upgrade.

You have a 5900x to play PUBG and browse the internet? The 5600x would have been overkill for that haha

I try to future-proof my builds so that I only have to do this once every 3-4 years.
    I should have mentioned that I do a lot of powerbi and spotfire report building too and want to minimize the amount of time wasted waiting for visualizations to load.
    Last edited by S-FLY; 03-24-2021 at 01:21 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    What's your budget and requirements? Maybe there is a way to make it all work.
    Potentially at this point I might be able to make it work. New cpu, ram and mobo, reuse case, gpu and powersupply. Is there a way to check PS health? That alone is ~$1,800 though. This is definitely a want vs a need at this point though lol
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Potentially at this point I might be able to make it work. New cpu, ram and mobo, reuse case, gpu and powersupply. Is there a way to check PS health? That alone is ~$1,800 though. This is definitely a want vs a need at this point though lol
    That's what I did as well - I reused my GPU (also I probably wouldn't be able to find one anyway haha) and I reused my PSU.

What PSU is it and how old is it? I don't know of any way to check health but generally speaking if it's a decent PSU and still working I wouldn't hesitate to reuse it - most of the good ones have 7-10 year warranties anyway. You also don't need tons of power - my entire PC with 5950X and 1080Ti is only pulling around 460W at the wall while gaming and that includes peripherals.

If you stick with 32GB RAM you can do CPU ($770), Mobo ($240) RAM (~$300) you're at ~$1300. Bump up to 64GB later if needed. Could reuse your SSD too and grab a Samsung 980 Pro later if/when you end up finding a use for PCI 4.0 speeds.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-24-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Page 42 of 66 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast